Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Toughts on the rest of the season

Winning two out of the first three games was (IMO) a great surprise and puts us in the drivers seat for a bowl. We need six wins to be bowl eligible, which means we need to win 4 out of our next 9 games. Being bowl eligible doesn't guarantee a spot in a bowl, and considering that if we end the season 6-6 several of our losses will be to lowly-ranked teams we would probably not be invited to a bowl.

The OOC win, however, takes a lot of pressure off us and gives us a chance for post-season play even if we lose to Troy (and they make the NO bowl).

Here's how I see our schedule playing out. Being very conservative, games that would be upset wins are penciled in as losses. I've marked games against winless SBC teams as wins. USF, UK, and UF have all beaten ranked teams this season and, barring a huge blowup in their play, should not have a problem winning against us.

UNT - W
UK - L
USF - L
ULL - W
ULM - W
ASU
UF - L
FIU - W
Troy

That leaves us with, in the best case, an 8-4 record and in the worst case a 6-6 record. In a conservative case, we will have tough games with ASU and Troy, both teams that have OOC victories as well, which would leave us at 6-6. In that case we would probably not be invited to a bowl game.

UNT, ULL, ULM, and FIU are all winless. We should win those games, but an upset is always a very real possibility.

So, as I see it, to make a bowl game we still need one more "big" win, which will most likely be over ASU or Troy.

We can't disregard Troy's win over OK State, which beat us convincingly. The Troy game is also at Troy, while the ASU game is here. It's reasonable to see us splitting those games and finishing the season at 7-5.

As of today, I see Troy finishing the Belt 7-0, FAU at 6-1 (losing to Troy), and ASU at 5-2 (losing to us and Troy).

The bottom line: our win against Minnesota take off some pressure and still lets us have a good chance at a bowl even if we lose to Troy - a similar situation to MTSU last year and Troy the year before.
Back to the top

Wow!….With all due respect LM, I'm completely shocked at your lack of believe in our team. Yes, Troy beat the crap out of OSU; however, that really means squat. I 100% believe that FAU can and will beat Troy. Furthermore, the only difference that I saw between the FAU/OSU game and the Troy/OSU game, was the confidence that Troy brought onto the field. As long as our guys believe in their talent, they can absolutely crush anybody in the Sunbelt conference.

However, part of that belief will need to come from us, the fans…So lets stop doubting.
Back to the top

faudiehard said

Wow!….With all due respect LM, I'm completely shocked at your lack of believe in our team. Yes, Troy beat the crap out of OSU; however, that really means squat. I 100% believe that FAU can and will beat Troy. Furthermore, the only difference that I saw between the FAU/OSU game and the Troy/OSU game, was the confidence that Troy brought onto the field. As long as our guys believe in their talent, they can absolutely crush anybody in the Sunbelt conference.

However, part of that belief will need to come from us, the fans…So lets stop doubting.

I absolutely believe we have what it takes to beat Troy! I was trying to put together a "worst case" scenario for the rest of the season. My point was that with our win yesterday, even the worst case (losing to Troy) still gives us a good chance to go to a bowl!
Back to the top

Lm77 said

faudiehard said

I absolutely believe we have what it takes to beat Troy! I was trying to put together a "worst case" scenario for the rest of the season. My point was that with our win yesterday, even the worst case (losing to Troy) still gives us a good chance to go to a bowl!

I apologize …I guess I misread your post.
Back to the top

With all due respect, at this early point in the season, Troy looks better than we do so thinking or saying Troy may beat us is realistic. The Troy game, however, is the last game of the year, meaning we will have a year of additional experience by the time we play them. So will they. I think we can beat Troy as well, but at this juncture, it is not unrealistic to say they are ahead of us.

Talking realistic does not mean we don't love the Owls!!!
Back to the top

fauowl said

Talking realistic does not mean we don't love the Owls!!!

I never thought that…
Back to the top

My thoughts on the rest of the season:

Take one game at a time and starting Monday forget about the Minnesota game. It is time to prepare for North Texas.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Well said Owlfan1. I hope the boys are able to focus after such a great victory. We can not afford to lose focus this early, with a conference road game next week.
Back to the top
Control functions: