Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Big East mentioned yet again!

Add topic

The report to the BOT on Tuesday, page 13

"The development of the stadium, along with the elements of the Innovation Village plan, will help FAU recruit and compete in the Sun Belt Conferences and may even lead to a berth in a larger conference, such as, the Big East Conference."

http://www.fau.edu/bot/files/091807_Innovation_Village.pdf

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

fauowl09 said

The report to the BOT on Tuesday, page 13

"The development of the stadium, along with the elements of the Innovation Village plan, will help FAU recruit and compete in the Sun Belt Conferences and may even lead to a berth in a larger conference, such as, the Big East Conference."

http://www.fau.edu/bot/files/091807_Innovation_Village.pdf

Yeah, I saw that and thought it was strange (to be in the document) but cool at the same time.

I don't see the Big East wanting us until we're ruling the Sun Belt and consistently picking up OCC wins. Now, if Troy leaves the Sun Belt… which they probably will, considering how well they're playing against their OOC opponents… then that gives us a buch better chance to run the Belt. Our on-campus stadium will help attract better players but again, it's going to be a trickle for awhile before it's a flood.
Back to the top

I personally feel that the BIG EAST is a solid 5-10 years away. I think a move to CONF USA is more likely and then maybe a move to the BIG EAST from there.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Moving conferences was mentioned throughout the report. However, why would the Big East take us over a school like UCF, except for a potential veto from USF?

I think one reason for mentioning "larger" conferences was to justify the stadium design. The number of luxury suites and club seats proposed is far more than anyone else in the conference. Even at 30000 seats, our stadium would also be one of the largest in the SBC.
Back to the top

Re: Big East mentioned yet again!

Many SBC stadiums are at or just a bit over 30k. They just don't look big, with small crowds, on those awful Thursday and Friday TV games. :)

But FAU's should be among the nicest.
Back to the top

just remember i predicted it

USF would not veto UCF… the big east is going to pressure every school in their conference to vote for these teams to go from 8 to 12 teams and get those two divisions for a championship game

Current:
Cincinnati
Connecticut
Louisville
Pittsburgh
Rutgers
South Florida
Syracuse
West Virginia

2010-2011 additions:
UCF (C-USA)
ECU (C-USA)
FAU (Sun Belt)
Troy (Sun Belt)

UCF, FAU: new stadiums, on the cusp of turning the corner into a USF… PLUS the "florida" factor of dominating the state with 3 up and coming teams… HUGE for bowl berths and tie-ins

ECU: redoing their stadium… geographic fit… expands big east presence in the south

Troy: this team is going to be a contender for a conference title (whatever conference it is) year to year in the very near future… again, geographic fit and it expands big east presence in the south

the big east will NOT allow USF to veto UCF… a in-state rivalry within their conference?  they will pressure and pressure USF

Back to the top

Man, that would be thrilling.
Back to the top

That sounds like a good prediction!  I can only wait until that day though.
Back to the top

fauowl09 said

USF would not veto UCF… the big east is going to pressure every school in their conference to vote for these teams to go from 8 to 12 teams and get those two divisions for a championship game

Current:
Cincinnati
Connecticut
Louisville
Pittsburgh
Rutgers
South Florida
Syracuse
West Virginia

2010-2011 additions:
UCF (C-USA)
ECU (C-USA)
FAU (Sun Belt)
Troy (Sun Belt)

UCF, FAU: new stadiums, on the cusp of turning the corner into a USF… PLUS the "florida" factor of dominating the state with 3 up and coming teams… HUGE for bowl berths and tie-ins

ECU: redoing their stadium… geographic fit… expands big east presence in the south

Troy: this team is going to be a contender for a conference title (whatever conference it is) year to year in the very near future… again, geographic fit and it expands big east presence in the south

the big east will NOT allow USF to veto UCF… a in-state rivalry within their conference?  they will pressure and pressure USF

Looks good, but wouldn't FIU be a better fit than Troy in that scenario?
Back to the top

Lm77 said

fauowl09 said

Current:
Cincinnati
Connecticut
Louisville
Pittsburgh
Rutgers
South Florida
Syracuse
West Virginia

2010-2011 additions:
UCF (C-USA)
ECU (C-USA)
FAU (Sun Belt)
Troy (Sun Belt)

Looks good, but wouldn't FIU be a better fit than Troy in that scenario?

great question… and of course i am just answering on behalf of myself and just defending my own, personal prediction…

i say troy because i see this team continuing to build and becoming the best mid-major in the nation year after year… this program is really on the cusp on HUGE things…

i also think UCF and ECU are more-or-less "locks" if the big east DOES expand… therefore C-USA is going to scramble and look for replacements very fast to maintain their 12-team, 2-division conference (again… the key: the championship game)… here is where i see FIU jumping for one of those spots immediately (their soccer team already competes in C-USA… it's a natural fit and a smooth transition for FIU with familiarity of the conference)

at that time, i see coach schnelly arguing we should "wait" instead of jumping right away to C-USA with FIU… his famous words that he uses, "we need to be in a conference that puts us on a level to compete for the national championship"… code speak for "big east"

i really feel there is going to be another wave of reclassification in college football (similar to the 2004-05 reclassification spurred by VT, Miami, BC going to the ACC and the domino effect that followed)… i feel there is a second wave coming and it's going to be the Big East and Big Ten (ironically keeping their name at "Ten" haha) wanting to expand to 12 teams and get that championship game

VT and Miami and BC started the wave in 04-05… call me crazy, the factor this time is going to be NOTRE DAME… they need a conference and they are going to finally see it.. they will move to the Big Ten (which has 11 teams and will get to 12) and it will start a shockwave across college football… the Big East will be the only BCS conference (outside of the Pac 10 who has already said they will NOT expand to 12 teams under any circumstances) without a championship game

Back to the top
Control functions: