Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Mythical Polls for Sun Belt Teams

so as of RIGHT NOW, rank the SBC teams…

My Poll
1. Troy - beats Oklahoma State… no, sorry… crushes Oklahoma State
2. Florida Atlantic - beats Big Ten Minnesota and a conference foe
3. Arkansas State - beats out-of-conference SMU and plays Texas to an 8-point loss
4. Middle Tennessee - plays Louisville close… defense or none, that's impressive
5. North Texas - played SMU close… a new system, new coach… could win some SBC games
6. Louisiana-Monroe - mediocre, at best
7. Louisiana-Lafayette - loss to I-AA McNeese State is terrible
8. FIU - 15-game losing streak… now the nation's longest

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

fauowl09 said

My Poll
3. Arkansas State - beats out-of-conference SMU and plays Texas to an 8-point loss
4. Middle Tennessee - plays Louisville close… defense or none, that's impressive
5. North Texas - played SMU close… a new system, new coach… could win some SBC games

Your assessment of FIU can be dangerous for any team buying into that.
Back to the top

After the top three, it is a very difficult task to correctly align the teams, and I think it's too this early in the season since must teams have yet to play a conference game.

The Top 3, not necessarily in order; Troy, ASU & FAU.
In the middle, no particular order; (4,5,6) MTSU, ULM & ULL
Bottom two, no particular order; (7,8) UNT & FIU

My take on the top three: Troy remains the favorite, their once dormant offense has found some life. ASU is showing that they can make a run at the Title. FAU will need to find some consistency on offense, to make a case for themselves for the top spot.

In The middle: Don't discount ULL just yet, they are a better team that lost to McNeesse a team that is always tough at the once AA level, they have a pretty good QB that can create a little havoc - could be a bad game, remember Valdosta a team we shouldn't have never lost to. ULM is just that, a team in the middle of the pack. MTSU we be a middle pack team, just because of injuries and will be hard for them to find consistency through-out the season, however a team you better not overlook.

Bottom two: North Texas might be able to bump ULM to the bottom two, too Early to tell. FIU will have another tough season, but I don't see them going winless, they will Knock the monkey off their back, the question will be - you will be the victim ('s) for the Golden Panthers. They will improve every week and a W is just a matter of time.
Back to the top

Re: Mythical Polls for Sun Belt Teams

Honestly i cant make any suggestions on this topic! Partly because i dont want to jinx the team.  "Knock on Wood"!
Back to the top

fauowl09 said

My Poll

4 weeks in:

1. Troy–there's really nothing you can say to argure against that.  They've been the most impressive team in the league this year.

2. Florida Atlantic–defeated Minnesota and kept their poise despite being down at North Texas enough to come from behind and topple the Mean Green by 10

3. Arkansas State–didn't look bad against Tennessee, but I really expected better from their defense.  Tennessee really isn't that great this year.  ASU has an outstanding offense which they displayed at Tennessee and against SMU.

4. Louisiana–Yes, they lost to McNeese State, but truth be told, half the 'Belt teams would lose to McNeese State.  They looked promising agaisnt Ohio and South Carolina.  They kept it close with Troy for a while and they did it without Tyrell Fenroy.

5. North Texas–The Mean Green offense is starting to hit it's stride against similar competition.  They just have to find a defense.  It will take teams with really bad offenses (say FIU and Middle Tennessee?) to find some wins this year.

6. ULM–Lancaster can get that Warhawk offense rolling against teams in the Sun Belt even though he looked like junk against Texas A&M.  They rung up 29 on Clemson and weren't totally out of a game against Tulsa.

7. Florida International–They only get blown out playing teams with Top ranked offenses such as Kansas and Penn State.  Defensively, FIU did not look all that bad agaisnt Miami of Florida and Maryland which suggests they can compete against teams that struggle on offense.

8. Middle Tennessee–Only 11 teams in the nation have a worse offense than the Blue Raiders and North Texas and ULM aren't one of them.  Add to the fact that there are only 6 teams with a worse defense than the Blue Raiders and FIU isn't one of them.  Have one or the other and you have good chance at winning a few, but when you're bad at both you'll be lucky to win any games.  Because Middle Tennessee has the lowest ranked offense and defense combination of any team in all 1-A, I think this team will finish last in the Sun Belt and last in the nation.
Back to the top

Correction:

After further study I have found that if you average the ranks of total offense against total defense and combine them together, Syracuse would still be ranked dead last in the nation not far behind Middle Tennessee and Rice who would be tied for 2nd to last.
Back to the top

Week of 9/23

1. Troy
2. FAU
3. Arkansas State
4. North Texas
5. ULM
6. ULL
7. Middle Tennessee
8. FIU

Back to the top

fauowl09 said

Week of 9/23

1. Troy
2. FAU
3. Arkansas State
4. North Texas
5. ULM
6. ULL
7. Middle Tennessee
8. FIU

Not a bad breakdown, North Texas will win some games with that offense, Middle  :-X
Back to the top

Bytor said

fauowl09 said

Week of 9/23

1. Troy
2. FAU
3. Arkansas State
4. North Texas
5. ULM
6. ULL
7. Middle Tennessee
8. FIU

Not a bad breakdown, North Texas will win some games with that offense, Middle  :-X

north texas had a plan last night that worked… thank god we walked out of there with a win, but north texas is a good team…kudos to them

i really look at 6 and 7 as tied for second-to-worst… ull loses to d-iaa mcneese state and middle loses to d-iaa/d-ia transitional western kentucky… big ouch

Back to the top

It's too bad the bottom 5 teams this year (more than half the SBC!) are so weak. ULL and MTSU should have been better this year. We all lose when one of our teams loses to a I-AA team.

FIU's season is also certainly a letdown. They weren't too bad two season ago and they have the same resources as we do.

1. Troy (beat OK State)
2. FAU (lost to OK State)

3. ASU

4. MTSU
5. UNT
6. ULL
7. ULM
8. FIU
Back to the top
Control functions: