Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Yet another ESPN flub...

On tonight's 1am SportsCenter, after showing video of OSU's coach Mike Gundy blowing up at the media, Kenny Mayne made reference to Troy defeating OSU.  Then, however, he said Troy belonged to the Football Championship Subdivision (aka Div I-AA) like Sam Houston, OSU's next opponent.  So much for the SunBelt getting any love.

Seems to me like ESPN needs some new copy editors and/or researchers.
Back to the top

Re: Yet another ESPN flub...

And these guys are paid proffessional  ::)

Troy at least as a nice string of OC win, while FAU is still the new kid on the block, regardless for a Nationally aired SPORT program it shouldn't NOT happen.
Back to the top

Yet another ESPN flub...

Disgusting!
Back to the top

OWLman said

Seems to me like ESPN needs some new copy editors and/or researchers.

and ANNOUNCERS…nothing like the total lackee that was the play by play for the Luisville MTSU game…he staired right at the camera when they did a still on the building they named after coach and then called him:

"Schnellen-becker"

what a total moran…….
Back to the top

Troy is discussing this error - another in the "Year of SunBelt Flubs Tour" - on its boards:

http://www.gotroytrojans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=61911&posted=1#post61911

Back to the top

Until the SBC stops losing to "FCS"/I-AA teams and can actually be competitive against I-A consistently, mistakes like that will continue to be made. Aside from FAU, Troy, and ASU, the entire conference is winless this season (WKU doesn't count yet).
Back to the top

So wins and losses should determine whether the media get their facts straight and do their jobs ethically and accurately?

Does Michigan deserve equal crummy treatment now?
Back to the top

BMarkey said

So wins and losses should determine whether the media get their facts straight and do their jobs ethically and accurately?

Does Michigan deserve equal crummy treatment now?

Not at all! There's no excuse for being wrong, it's just incompetence (from the "premier" sports authority, no less). However, they won't make an effort to get their facts straight until records improve. Winning absolutely affects the accuracy and attention of the media. Using your Michigan example, they changed the rules to give votes to App State in the top 25 poll after their win. They would never have changed that rule if a top team was not upset.

It's not only in college football, however. The national and Canadian coverage of the Florida Panthers, for example, is also, quite often inaccurate. Because the team has not been so great, many out-of-town analysts call for the team to trade their best players or move to a different location altogether, cite inaccurate statistics, and are totally oblivious to the actual viability of the team here. The Tampa Bay Lightning, who recently won the Stanley Cup, receive far better coverage.

Unfortunately, better teams get better coverage. It's not fair.
Back to the top
Control functions: