Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Brogan Declines Bonus

Add topic

I think this was a very good move on his part, I like this guy.

Topic Galleries - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Florida Atlantic University President Frank Brogan has declined to take a large bonus this year, FAU board of trustees Chairman Norman Tripp said in an e-mail to his trustees.

"I agreed with his assessment that due to the budget situation and reductions, it is not a year to consider a bonus, although I believe he has clearly earned one," Tripp wrote.

Brogan, who is paid $357,376, received a $32,438 bonus last year. But this year, the university had to make almost $7 million in state-mandated cuts because of lower-than-projected tax collections. The trustees have also been cutting expenses to offset a controversial $578,000 severance package that Brogan approved for a former fundraiser.

Brogan's contract runs through March 4, 2009.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Re: Brogan Declines Bonus

I agree, a sign of his character 
Back to the top

It was the right move. If he had accepted, the media would have had a field day. I hope this ruined their plans of a media blitz.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

He essentially had to. With a salary like that, on top of the Davenport scandal and the budget cuts for all universities… there's no way he could take a bonus without raising a couple of eyebrows.

And, with that salary and the power he has… a university president job is really an enviable thing. I'm surprised I haven't met anybody at FAU who has an ambition of being a university president.
Back to the top

wow…couple that salary with free housing and that's an amazing package
Back to the top

owler said

No doubt the fair market rental value of the house is taxable. Something like a parsonage. What would a house like that rent for in Boca Raton. $3000/mo? I don't know. Then again, how much of the mansion is considered his residence?

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

owler said

No doubt the fair market rental value of the house is taxable. Something like a parsonage. What would a house like that rent for in Boca Raton. $3000/mo? I don't know. Then again, how much of the mansion is considered his residence?

He lives in a 2 bedroom apartment on the second floor.

AEA
Go play Intramural Sports! www.fau.edu/campusrec/imsports/
Back to the top

He should have taken the bonus and then turned around and donated it to the stadium fund.

In all seriousness, a 10% bonus for a state employee is a huge bonus. Most faculty get somewhere between 2-3% per year and they are making 1/5 of what Brogan makes.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

He should have taken the bonus and then turned around and donated it to the stadium fund.

In all seriousness, a 10% bonus for a state employee is a huge bonus. Most faculty get somewhere between 2-3% per year and they are making 1/5 of what Brogan makes.

GO OWLS!!!

Bonuses were decimated this year. Employees received a one-time $1000 bonus, regardless of salary. In other words, their base salary stays the same, which is very bad in the long-term.

Of course, FAU has not raised the salaries of their graduate employees one penny in years, but don't get me started on that…
Back to the top

Brogan Declines Bonus

Lm77 said

owlfan1 said

GO OWLS!!!

Bonuses were decimated this year. Employees received a one-time $1000 bonus, regardless of salary. In other words, their base salary stays the same, which is very bad in the long-term.

Of course, FAU has not raised the salaries of their graduate employees one penny in years, but don't get me started on that…

if the place ran like a business (with proper "shareholder" accountability) then they woudnt need to do that…but with departments lke traffic and parking (im not even going to get started on that), and a myriad of others, its no wonder…….
Back to the top
Control functions: