Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

The sports media rant thread

It was suggested in another thread that we start one to keep track of all the time the media is incompetent. For example:

• [li]Calling us the team that got into a brawl with Miami[/li]
    [li]Calling us I-AA (which doesn't even exist anymore)[/li]

… or anything else you may find.

If you see something that needs correction, post it in this thread and we can use our collective ranks to e-mail the author/editor.

Here's an article to get started:

Hillsborough: Now nation knows who Bulls are

The University of Central Florida opened a $54-million, 45,000-seat stadium two weeks ago. And last week, trustees at Florida Atlantic University - a Division I-AA school - approved a 30,000-seat stadium plan for its Boca Raton campus. USF, the country's 18th-ranked football team, rents.

Keep in mind, this is a news article, not an opinion piece or blog. Obviously, we are not I-AA. I think we have been I-A longer than we were in I-AA anyways, it's time to get this right. How can your job be to write about sports in Florida while you don't even know which teams are in the state?

The author's bias is obvious, inserting "USF, the country's 18th-ranked football team" in the next sentence. That's just shoddy journalism. It is an opinionated statement that is intended to contrast with the previous one, leading the reader to conclude that if a "I-AA" (bad) team has an on-campus stadium, so should the flavor of the month.

"I deserve the same toys as Bobby because I'm better than him wah wah wah!"

If you find another article that needs some clarification on FAU, post it in this thread.
Back to the top

Re: The sports media rant thread

I filled the guy in on the latest update that FAU is no longer 1AA. I can understand local media from places outside of Florida or the Southeast making mistakes like this but for this to come from a somewhat local media out of St Pete anoyed me.
Back to the top

roscoeowl said

I filled the guy in on the latest update that FAU is no longer 1AA. I can understand local media from places outside of Florida or the Southeast making mistakes like this but for this to come from a somewhat local media out of St Pete anoyed me.

Yep, I commented and communicated the same thing.
Back to the top

If I was able to find it, this would the place to post the USA today article where they called Rusty a Jr. Last time I checked he was a Sophomore. I agree with everyone else we're not some small school who just so happens to have a football team. Just like FIU shouldn't be called FAU we shouldn't be confused with FIU

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

I'm sure you can't find these articles anymore but when FAU first got started in D1A, the school was refered to as "tiny" by several newspapers.

When we played one of the A-Sun schools in North Carolina in basketball, the name escapes me right now, a journalist got mixed up and and attributed all the school facts to FAU. Like the size of their gym which seats 930.

There are many and probably can't be found on the internet anymore.

If you do a search on the board going WAY back, you might be able to find a few that were copied and pasted.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

The sports media rant thread

illinoisowl said

When we played one of the A-Sun schools in North Carolina in basketball, the name escapes me right now, a journalist got mixed up and and attributed all the school facts to FAU. Like the size of their gym which seats 930.

Campbell University…

BTW, they will have a new arena…it will seat 3k…pretty nice looking…

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

Write to the reporter. I did.

Rodney Thrash can be reached at (813) 269-5303 or [email protected]
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

Campbell University…
BTW, they will have a new arena…it will seat 3k…pretty nice looking…

Not a bad little place. Too bad they're "the camels".
Back to the top

I just was looking on the Camels website.  They are starting(well restarting) a football program and building a 1200 seat football stadium as well.
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

I just was looking on the Camels website.  They are starting(well restarting) a football program and building a 1200 seat football stadium as well.

you serious??  wow..they can barely keep up a .500 record in the A-Sun in Mens hoops…thats a shocker…no $$$…
Back to the top
Control functions: