Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Post Game Thoughts

SO DAMN CLOSE!!!

It's so easy to get fustrated thinking about the missed opportunities, so I won't.

We played a GREAT game.  The offense moved the ball well, the defense came up with big stops.  We were basically even in yardage, won the turnover battle, held the ball longer, and yet came up just short.  BUT, we were right there with a top 10 team and you can't be too disappointed about that…in fact, we were probably one bad call on that punt from putting them away…oops, I wasn't going to focus on that stuff.

Anyway, win or lose, we proved our point today…USF is getting the headlines now as the hot up-and-coming Florida program, and it is rightfully deserved, but they have company coming quick.

About the attendance…The Bulls brought a lot of people, but we weren't outnumbered.  By my estimation, i'd say it was 60-40 FAU fans.  We filled the home side and the student endzone.  The vistor sideline was mostly USF fans, but i'd say there were a few hundred Owls fans mixed in….same in the opposite endzone.  Plus they had their band filling one complete corner of that endzone.

Great job by the students today!  There were tons of them there…hopefully they'll all be back.  They certainly seemed to be enjoying themselves.

About Lockhart….It does look better when full, but it has to be the worst place ever to have a big event.  Traffic was horrendous…and that was when I got there an hour and a half before kickoff.  I can't wait to get on campus.

Anyway, all and all a good day for FAU Football….although it could have been an unbelievable day.  Oh well, i'll take it and look ahead.  The goal remains the Sun Belt title, and if nothing else, this was a good confidence boost heading into the bye week.  Now we have 2 weeks to prepare for our conference games…and hopefully work on kicking field goals.

Oh and one other bit of good news…Arkansas State lost tonight, so there is only 2 remaining undefeated Sun Belt teams…perhaps North Texas can do us a favor and upset Troy for us during our off week.
Back to the top

Re: Post Game Thoughts

I couldn't of said it any better!  Good closure!
Back to the top

What a great atmosphere! Great job Owls. It still hurts, though.

I'll post my thoughts later (too tired now from two games in one day), but I just wanted to mention that Troy is off next week, then hosts North Texas for Homecoming.

That final game at Troy is looking more and more like a huge one.

BTW, FIU is awful, but can show some signs of success. You wouldn't know it by the score, thanks to Troy's ultra-conservative pull all the starters in the third quarter mentality, but the Trojans soundly beat the Panthers tonight. It could have (and should have) been very ugly.

Back to the top

This was a great game to watch and be a part of, better then the Minnesota game, which was a pretty exciting game.  The atmoshphere was awesome & tell you what the Bulls band is great, the way they get the crowd involved was awesome to watch, hopefully as our band grows in numbers it will be the same for us, definetely adds to the game time atmosphere.  Not that our band doesn't do a good job now, NUMBERS seems to make a HUGE difference.

I am sill trying to recoup from yesterday, early start 5AM, with a panther game (ugly loss - that team lacked any intensity)  following the FAU game.

Once I get up to speed with everything, I'll post my comments later today.
Back to the top

Bytor said

This was a great game to watch and be a part of, better then the Minnesota game, which was a pretty exciting game.  The atmoshphere was awesome & tell you what the Bulls band is great, the way they get the crowd involved was awesome to watch, hopefully as our band grows in numbers it will be the same for us, definetely adds to the game time atmosphere.  Not that our band doesn't do a good job now, NUMBERS seems to make a HUGE difference.

I am sill trying to recoup from yesterday, early start 5AM, with a panther game (ugly loss - that team lacked any intensity)  following the FAU game.

Once I get up to speed with everything, I'll post my comments later today.

You did the FAU/Panthers doubleheader too?

That Panthers game did suck.  They played great in the 1st period and just fell flat after that.  They just need to get a win and they'll be ok.
Back to the top

Yeah, I did miss the first period, couldn't leave the FAU game, but did a mad rush to get to the game afterwards.

:P
Back to the top

The score was 23-28 with 2:34 on the board, and we had the ball. That is how close we came. Yes, they scored a late TD, but I feel if we had scored a TD on that drive the momentum might have taken care of the rest. My point is we played a very good team yesterday, didn't make any huge mistakes (except for maybe penalties) and almost came with the W. Our players are young, and will only get better with experience.

Some observations:
Dear God, please have the logistics of parking and traffic squared away for our stadium on campus.

For those fans that left early (and I mean as early as half-time), clock stoppage and momentum shifts can change the tide of college football with 1 or 2 big plays. Try and stay until the end, these kids deserve that.

The atmosphere was great. The game looked to be played pretty clean, nice to see that level of competition and sportsmanship from both teams. I didn't wander through the tailgaters too much, so I was wondering if there were any skirmishes? Everyone seemed to be civil, if not sober. Fracasses can put a black eye on a program (even if it is in the parking lot). Keep it clean, its only football.  ;)

GO OWLS
Win the SBC!!!

Beware the talons of the Mighty Owls!
Back to the top

Post Game Thoughts

Does anyone who attended think we won some fans that will attend future games?

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

The way this team played against USF - I would surely HOPE so.  It was on heck of a game regardless of the outcome and add the game time atmosphere  :D
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

Does anyone who attended think we won some fans that will attend future games?

It will help.  There were definately people there for the first time that will be back.  I still don't think we'll see the big spike in attendance until we get on campus, but I would hope that we can get at least half of those students to come back to Lockhart on a consistant basis.
Back to the top
Control functions: