Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Power of the Band!

At the game i noticed that i could barely hear anything coming from out band at the game.  I feel that in a few years we will be able to match the band power of USF and their ability to create tradition with the fans here at FAU! Am i right?
Back to the top

Re: Power of the Band!

You could hear the band pretty well if you were anywhere close to the west end zone. The Owls played much louder than their size and they were up, playing and cheering all game long.

Spread the world among friends, high school students, etc. The band is trying to grow. The kids get a nice stipend and have a lot of fun. They are probably FAU's most supportive cheering section and they work their tails off. Don't believe me? Stop by the field next to the Oxley Center one late afternoon and see for yourself.

The Bull band was large (although not as large as some of the country's best bands and not nearly as good as, say, the band from a SunBelt team FAU will face in December) and loud enough, but it wasn't great. It stuck to one little cheer song almost the entire game.

The USF band also showed just about as much class as the USF football coach (final TD when they could just take a knee) when it constantly played at the same time as the much smaller Owl band, and it focused almost its entire halftime show at the visitors rather than the "home" side.
Back to the top

Yeah i see where you are going.
Back to the top

as we all know USF is growing quickly and since their football has gotten better, they have gotten a bigger band. when we were up close you could here lots of wrong notes and sections really out of tune, but then again, its got to be pretty hard to make a band that size sound in tune. anyways, im sure that the better FAU's team gets, the bigger and better our band will get. if we had kept everyone from the past two years our band would be at about…75 winds, 20 percussion and 20 guard…but most of the people that dont come back are the people that don't care and mess around alot. so even though we have stayed relatively the same size these 3 years, we have gained more quality players and lossed the ones that weren't as into it. so its a win loss situation. i'd give 2 more years and we'll be at 100, or pretty close.
Back to the top

rdownin1 said

At the game i noticed that i could barely hear anything coming from out band at the game.  I feel that in a few years we will be able to match the band power of USF and their ability to create tradition with the fans here at FAU! Am i right?

Question:

is the usf band that oblivious that they played on every single play we made a big gain on, and or made a great stop on?

Answer:

yes, they are that oblivious…….

i guess they have to earn the full scholarship…

Back to the top

You could hear the band pretty well if you were anywhere close to the west end zone. The Owls played much louder than their size and they were up, playing and cheering all game long.

Spread the world among friends, high school students, etc. The band is trying to grow. The kids get a nice stipend and have a lot of fun. They are probably FAU's most supportive cheering section and they work their tails off. Don't believe me? Stop by the field next to the Oxley Center one late afternoon and see for yourself.

The Bull band was large (although not as large as some of the country's best bands and not nearly as good as, say, the band from a SunBelt team FAU will face in December) and loud enough, but it wasn't great. It stuck to one little cheer song almost the entire game.

The USF band also showed just about as much class as the USF football coach (final TD when they could just take a knee) when it constantly played at the same time as the much smaller Owl band, and it focused almost its entire halftime show at the visitors rather than the "home" side.

Wow.. how do we not have class? This is not high school anymore. You are allowed to play when the other band is playing. Usually stadiums are larger and the bands really don't clash as much. By the way, we play 3 halftime shows a year so we play each show facing home and away.

Question:

is the usf band that oblivious that they played on every single play we made a big gain on, and or made a great stop on?

Answer:

Answer this: What purpose does the band serve in the stands? To keep the fans pumped up so they can keep the team pumped up with crowd noise.

Why do you talk smack about an opposing band? Personally, I liked your band. You guys had a great half-time show and were pretty good for your size.
Back to the top

TheTrumpetBeast said

Answer this: What purpose does the band serve in the stands? To keep the fans pumped up so they can keep the team pumped up with crowd noise.

Why do you talk smack about an opposing band? Personally, I liked your band. You guys had a great half-time show and were pretty good for your size.

i agree with your comment, and share the same sentiments towards your talent/sound…and offer this:

-  The playing should only be when you do somethin good (not when you give up 10+ yards, or lose yards on an offensive play)

-  You should refrain from playing when it is obvious that you are overshadowing the home teams speaker system and one of thier spirit teams is performing

You shouldnt be playing when the home team is neiling for Payer at the end of a game on thier own field

-  You ought to share the playing time, not try and completely dominate it sheerly because you have a volume advantage

And i do respectfully disagree with your assesment of "playing all the time is the norm"…negative - that is most certainly not the case…just turn on the TV any Saturday and listen…i think you will eventually agree…

Collectively, this is my disdain…
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

rdownin1 said

Question:

Answer:

As an alumnus of the Herd of Thunder Marchinng Band, I think it would be wise for me to educate you on a couple of facts instead of engaging in a pissing contests about who's band is better or this and that should have been done or not done….

1. On away games, the band is not tied into the same restrictions as the home team on when they can and cannot play

2. No matter if it is a gain or loss of yardage, H.O.T. has downs cheers for 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

3. On defense, you will hear and learn "The Bull"

4. 4th down on defense, you will hear "Bulls on Parade"

5. TV and game timeouts, we will play a chart

6. Good observation you made about playing our halftime show to the visitor's side….We were the visitors.

7. As for the stipends, $200 for rookie members, $500 for 2yr+ members and an additional $100 for being an officer.

8. Only sections we audition are drumline and color guard. Drumline candidates that don't make it get placed on cymbals so everyone gets to march.

9. Watching the game on TV, I did hear the Owl’s band.

10. I was happy to see a current member of the H.O.T. giving props to the Owl band.

11. For those not involved in the marching band activity do not realize that opposing bands support each other unlike the football teams that want to tear each other’s heads off.

With all that said, I hope that FAU follows USF in the same footsteps and in 5 more years you guys will have a ranked team, bowl games under your belt, in a different conference than SunBelt and a band that is equal in size and quality.

Back to the top

Power of the Band!

USF_HOT_Alum said

Florida_Owl said

rdownin1 said

Question:

Answer:

As an alumnus of the Herd of Thunder Marchinng Band, I think it would be wise for me to educate you on a couple of facts instead of engaging in a pissing contests about who's band is better or this and that should have been done or not done….

1. On away games, the band is not tied into the same restrictions as the home team on when they can and cannot play

2. No matter if it is a gain or loss of yardage, H.O.T. has downs cheers for 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

3. On defense, you will hear and learn "The Bull"

4. 4th down on defense, you will hear "Bulls on Parade"

5. TV and game timeouts, we will play a chart

6. Good observation you made about playing our halftime show to the visitor's side….We were the visitors.

7. As for the stipends, $200 for rookie members, $500 for 2yr+ members and an additional $100 for being an officer.

8. Only sections we audition are drumline and color guard. Drumline candidates that don't make it get placed on cymbals so everyone gets to march.

9. Watching the game on TV, I did hear the Owl’s band.

10. I was happy to see a current member of the H.O.T. giving props to the Owl band.

11. For those not involved in the marching band activity do not realize that opposing bands support each other unlike the football teams that want to tear each other’s heads off.

With all that said, I hope that FAU follows USF in the same footsteps and in 5 more years you guys will have a ranked team, bowl games under your belt, in a different conference than SunBelt and a band that is equal in size and quality.
Good points, as I know absolutely nothing about "Band Etiquette". Thanx, I learnt sumpin. Good info.
Back to the top

thanks for the kind words. i also liked your show alot, ive ALWAYS wanted to do a Queen show. to stress his points, ya, bands usually support each other, unless they are jerks, but USF wasnt, they were pretty cool. i think the playing to the away side is just something different than what florida schools do. our director before our current had us play to ALL sides of the field, even though we were the home team, he was from Las Vegas and did his doctoral work in Washington. its just a matter of preference i guess. its kind of cool seeing the bands get mentioned on the board,lol.
Back to the top
Control functions: