Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Add topic

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/south/epaper/2007/10/08/1008FAUPARK.html

"It's a tremendous problem," said graduate student Sandy Wheeler, who idled for 20 minutes Monday morning waiting for a spot to open in front of the College of Business. "I always come early so I can find a spot."

Parking is very difficult at FAU, but it's absurd to expect to get one of the few spaces in front of the CoB. It's even more absurd to wait 20 minutes for such a space, when there is always space available at the end of the "runway" that is parallel to PBCC or at in the southeast parking lot. It may be a walk, but it's not a 20 minute walk.

Laura Careloy, a senior who commutes from Margate, has been issued five parking tickets over the past two years, mostly for leaving her car at expired meters.

What's the point of this, PB Post? Is FAU at fault for ticketing people who park at expired meters???

I've been parking at FAU for nearly a decade and have never had to park on the grass, wait 20 minutes for a spot, or park at an expired meter. I either get there early or have a ~10 minute walk. Parking is tough, but at least there is parking (unlike schools like UF where there is generally no parking for students within walking distance during business hours). This article cites several examples of very bad "strategies" for parking at FAU that are the (mostly new) students' fault, and tries (again) to blame it on FAU's administration.

As is typical for Post articles on FAU, comments are disabled.
Back to the top

Re: Post: FAU parking fines soaring

Lm77 said

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/south/epaper/2007/10/08/1008FAUPARK.html

"It's a tremendous problem," said graduate student Sandy Wheeler, who idled for 20 minutes Monday morning waiting for a spot to open in front of the College of Business. "I always come early so I can find a spot."

Parking is very difficult at FAU, but it's absurd to expect to get one of the few spaces in front of the CoB. It's even more absurd to wait 20 minutes for such a space, when there is always space available at the end of the "runway" that is parallel to PBCC or at in the southeast parking lot. It may be a walk, but it's not a 20 minute walk.

Laura Careloy, a senior who commutes from Margate, has been issued five parking tickets over the past two years, mostly for leaving her car at expired meters.

What's the point of this, PB Post? Is FAU at fault for ticketing people who park at expired meters???

I've been parking at FAU for nearly a decade and have never had to park on the grass, wait 20 minutes for a spot, or park at an expired meter. I either get there early or have a ~10 minute walk. Parking is tough, but at least there is parking (unlike schools like UF where there is generally no parking for students within walking distance during business hours). This article cites several examples of very bad "strategies" for parking at FAU that are the (mostly new) students' fault, and tries (again) to blame it on FAU's administration.

As is typical for Post articles on FAU, comments are disabled.

Kimberly Miller makes mountains out of molehills.

Everybody knows there is a parking "situation" at FAU. The campus was designed to have parking on the outer rim and have students walk into to campus. That's the way it is. People need to deal with it. Lots of students complain but nobody has any real solutions.

If you're waiting 20 minutes for a spot in a small parking lot, say in front of the College of Business, you're an idiot, plain and simple. You have poor planning, you're not observant and you're lazy. If you want a good spot, you have to come early. If you have a noon class, you cannot expect to get a close spot at 11:30. You're going to have to walk. That's how it works. Other people got there early… so should you.

It's nice to hear that we're getting two new parking garages in 2009. Of course, those parking garages will likely be part of the Innovation Village, meaning in the back of campus and people will STILL have to walk a distance if their class is in, say, GS. And that's even if commuters will be allowed to park there… that garage is probably going to be for the Innovation Village residents.

The GPT parking situation was poor planning from the beginning. It's nice to know that "By spring semester, 316 spaces will be added for the new 600-student Glades Park Tower residence hall" and hopefully the university will have the foresight to make them residential student parking only. If not they're screwed and they deserve to be bitched at.
Back to the top

Lm, I think the point of this article is "Fines collected from parking scofflaws at Florida Atlantic University increased 73 percent last year following a crackdown by school officials hoping to "modify" students' poor parking behavior."Where does it blame the administration?

I think owlcountry had it right, it's nice to hear that the university is doing something about the lack of parking by building more garages.

I don't think this is a negative article at all, it's just talking about how parking sucks. Maybe some of the new students will catch a clue after reading this (probably not).

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

CanadianOwl said

Lm, I think the point of this article is "Fines collected from parking scofflaws at Florida Atlantic University increased 73 percent last year following a crackdown by school officials hoping to "modify" students' poor parking behavior."Where does it blame the administration?

I think owlcountry had it right, it's nice to hear that the university is doing something about the lack of parking by building more garages.

I don't think this is a negative article at all, it's just talking about how parking sucks. Maybe some of the new students will catch a clue after reading this (probably not).

The article is not news. The new fees were announced months ago - that's when the article would have been on topic. In contrast, the Sun-Sentinel instead published an article about the College of Nursing building finally officially receiving LEED certification. It's absent from the Post.

Topic Galleries - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
Back to the top

Lm77 said

The article is not news. The new fees were announced months ago - that's when the article would have been on topic.

Dude, I know the new fees were announced before the semester, but the news is fines are up 73%. See my point? I still don't think it's a negative article.

But here's the PB Post's article about FAU's green nursing college … dated Sept. 25

FAU's nursing college earns gold honor for green design

Back to the top

That's a nice article in the Post, but the slant still exists:

In all, the nursing college earned 39 points, the minimum threshold for a gold award.

This is absent in the Sun-Sentinel column because it's meaningless. The same awarded is given to everyone within a certain point range. It makes it seem like FAU did the minimum to receive the award. It doesn't add anything to the article - readers don't know and don't need to know what the LEED scoring system is. The SS article is more substantial. It discusses the motivation of green design and the philosophy taught to the nurses instead of the LEED point system.

You can also compare the headlines:

SS: FAU wins federal certification for 'green' nursing building
Post: FAU's nursing college earns gold honor for green design

The Post headline is campy and abstract. "Gold honor" could be an award from a local middle school for choosing a nice color.
Back to the top

Headlines are meant to grab a reader's attention. I think both paper's headlines are effective in doing this. I don't think the Post is trying to diminish the accomplishment at all with their headline either. And I think you definitely need to explain what the LEED scoring system is since most laypeople aren't familiar with  the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design.  Not to mention the Post had this two weeks ago.

I mean come on man, yes the Post - and specifically Kimberly Miller - have written some critical articles about FAU recently but I don't think these qualify. I think our bigger problem is with the editorial boards of both the Post and the SS, which seem to be just taking unwarranted shots at our athletic program.

Back to the top
Control functions: