Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Coach letter in the Sun-Sentinel

Topic Galleries - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Thanks to fans, FAU Owls on track to title, maybe stadium

October 19, 2007

Florida Atlantic University's Owls caught the nation's attention in our sell-out home game against No. 6-ranked University of South Florida. More than 21,000 fans were part of a highly competitive and spirited football game.

Thanks to all who made their way to our rented stadium, and to the many not able to get a ticket, who were forced to watch the game on ESPNU or listen to the WMEN radio broadcast.

The game certified that the Owls, in only their seventh year, are a maturing force that can compete at the highest level. The tremendous fan support demonstrated during this game showed many that the only missing part of FAU football is playing our home games in our home stadium. Owl fans should take pride that we are on course to bring home a conference championship and stadium. I thank the community for being a part of this important moment in FAU history.

Howard L. Schnellenberger
Head Coach, FAU Football Boca Raton
Back to the top

Re: Coach letter in the Sun-Sentinel

As always, great letter writing by Coach!

but, in regards to the sentinel's choice of a "title", why do they still persist in using the word "maybe" when referring to our stadium??
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

As always, great letter writing by Coach!

but, in regards to the sentinel's choice of a "title", why do they still persist in using the word "maybe" when referring to our stadium??

They don't want to piss off their stool readers who like to piss and moan about the stadium in their editorials.
Back to the top

Coach letter in the Sun-Sentinel

Sounds like Coach was not happy with Lockhart and wants to make sure Howard's House is built quickly.  Our fans need to continue to fill up the house to ensure a stadium by 2009.  An easy way to do that is to continue winning. Wins and fans will ensure the $$$$ needed to get the stadium started early.

Good luck today against ULL and on to New Orleans !

GO OWLS !
Back to the top

FAUFBL said

Sounds like Coach was not happy with Lockhart and wants to make sure Howard's House is built quickly. 

Out of all the proposed names for the stadium, I like "Howard's House" the best.

Two things are going to the get the normally-apathetic student body to fill up the stadium on a regular basis

1. Big wins over established, ranked schools
  2. Being a ranked school

Name power goes a long way. Quite frankly, most FAU students don't give a s*** about playing schools like ULM (unless they have a stupendous year, like USF, and shoot way up in the rankings… people like to come out to see upsets) but they would come out to see us play Michigan State, Auburn, Miami, Rutgers, etc. I know that BMarkey says you have to support your team no matter who they're playing, win or lose – like FIUFanatic does – and I agree with that but we're preaching to the choir here. A handful of us on this message board saying, "We need to get more people to games!" is not going to do as much for attendance as ambitious scheduling and winning OOC games would do.

The stadium is definitely going to help but it's not going to completely solve the attendance problem. Games against Florida teams draw well. Games against non-Florida ranked teams draw well. Title games (like the Sun Belt title) will draw well – I'm hoping next year's Troy game at home does that.
Back to the top
Control functions: