Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Fearless Predictions - ULM @ FAU

I usually hate these guys…BUT they actually make sense this week…not just because they pick FAU over ULM, but the commentary seems objective, rationale, and fair:

UL Monroe (2-5) at Florida Atlantic (4-3)  4:00 EST

Why to watch: Any hopes of getting into the Sun Belt title chase for UL Monroe started three weeks ago with a win over Arkansas State, but it's going to take wins over the next two weeks against Florida Atlantic and Middle Tennessee to get anyone to pay attention. The Warhawks have hardly been consistent, but the defense has improved and the offense is getting what it needs out of Calvin Dawson. Florida Atlantic has two home games in a row before finishing up the rest of the year on the road, and it needs to take advantage of the next two games to keep pace with Troy. The Owls are due for a an easy win, it hasn't had one all year, but they've been battle tested in an overtime win over UL Lafayette coming off a dogfight of a loss to South Florida.

Why UL Monroe might win: As good as the FAU defense has been at times, it's been beaten up a bit against the run over the last two weeks. The Owls gave up more than 300 yards through the air in three straight games, and then South Florida ripped off 302 rushing yards and five scores. UL Lafayette followed that up with a 317-yard, three score effort. This is a talented defense that's giving up yards in chunks, and ULM has to take advantage by getting Calvin Dawson going inside, outside, and everywhere in between.

Why Florida Atlantic might win: Can ULM keep up if the Florida Atlantic offense starts moving consistently well? ULM's offense has picked it up over the last three weeks, but it's still not a diverse attack, and it's not explosive. FAU leads the nation in turnover margin, taking it away 25 times with a mere seven turnovers. ULM isn't likely to get many big breaks, and considering how the offense relies on running the ball, it needs good field position, which it isn't likely to get.

Who to watch: Florida Atlantic QB Rusty Smith has been on fire. The sophomore has been terrific all year with a mere three interceptions and 16 touchdown passes, but he's hit his stride over the last two weeks with 567 yards and seven touchdown passes with just one pick. Troy's Omar Haugabook might be the league's best all-around player, but Smith has grown into the best bombing quarterback, and the type of star who can carry the Owls to a title as long as he keeps playing mistake-free.

What will happen: ULM will run for 300 yards and lose. FAU will get two key turnovers, and Smith will be too much for the ULM secondary to handle.

CFN Prediction: Florida Atlantic 31 … UL Monroe 21 … Line: Florida Atlantic -6
Must See Rating: (5 America's Most Smartest Model - 1 Marie Osmond on DTWS) … 1.5
Back to the top

Re: Fearless Predictions - ULM @ FAU

Good summary...I just hate the must see rating.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

I will have to agree, that dawson will gain a good chunk of yards, 300+ -  NO.

The scores about right and as long as it's a W for the Owls, the rest doesn't matter.
Back to the top

Owls 28
ULM 17

I would love to see a blow out but we are just too banged up right now.

Go Owls!!!
Back to the top

Fearless Predictions - ULM @ FAU

fauowl said

I would love to see a blow out but we are just too banged up right now.

i ran into Coach Frost on the way to pick up my tickets tonight after work…i asked him if we were looking good on the line for tommorow…now, of course wouldn't expect him to say no, but he did say "Oh yeah, we should be".

which is encouraging…
Back to the top

My prediction is an FAU Win 24-10.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top
Control functions: