Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

So now what...

Maybe someone can shed some light on this subject. If we go into Troy with just 1 loss and say they are still undefeated and we beat them, then what happens? How does that work? Does it matter if they beat ULM and we didn't but we beat them? Do we both win the division like Troy and MTSU last season?

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Re: So now what...

Jab979 said

Maybe someone can shed some light on this subject. If we go into Troy with just 1 loss and say they are still undefeated and we beat them, then what happens? How does that work? Does it matter if they beat ULM and we didn't but we beat them? Do we both win the division like Troy and MTSU last season?

We would go to new orleans.  The loss sucks but we can still go to NO if we win out the sunbelt and beat Troy.
Back to the top

Troy went into MTSU last year with one conference loss, defeated the Raiders (and FIU a week later) and won the conference. The team with the head-to-head win goes to the bowl.
Back to the top

It come down to, we MUST win the remainder of our conference games and if that happens, it probably will be a shared title much like last year (the Sun-Belt has a history of co-champions).

In my pre-season predictions, I did mentioned that we would lose a game we should have won  ??? that would cost us a conference title - god I hope I'm wrong, we still have a shot an control our destiny, by winning out.
Back to the top

I we beat ASU and FIU and go to Troy with 1 loss and Troy is undefeated in conference and we win, we win the conference.  We would each have 1 loss with FAU beating both Troy and Middle staight up.

It's still up to FAU who wins this conference.

GO OWLS!

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

I we beat ASU and FIU and go to Troy with 1 loss and Troy is undefeated in conference and we win, we win the conference.  We would each have 1 loss with FAU beating both Troy and Middle staight up.

GO OWLS!

That's where you'd be wrong. Head to head is not a tiebreaker for the conference championship.(see MT & Troy shared title in 2006) If you win out and Troy's only conference loss is to FAU than you and Troy would finish 6-1 sharing the title. The one benefit would be that, as far as we know, the head to head does act as a tiebreaker for N.O. which would send FAU to the bowl rather than Troy, but you would share the title just as MT and Troy did last year.
Back to the top

mtpikapp said

dusky256fc said

GO OWLS!

That's where you'd be wrong. Head to head is not a tiebreaker for the conference championship.(see MT & Troy shared title in 2006) If you win out and Troy's only conference loss is to FAU than you and Troy would finish 6-1 sharing the title. The one benefit would be that, as far as we know, the head to head does act as a tiebreaker for N.O. which would send FAU to the bowl rather than Troy, but you would share the title just as MT and Troy did last year.

Ok.  It is odd that they declare co-champs in that situation, rather then crowning the team with the head-to-head victory as champion.  Have they explained the rationale behind that?
Back to the top

So now what...

fauowls44 said

mtpikapp said

dusky256fc said

GO OWLS!

Ok.  It is odd that they declare co-champs in that situation, rather then crowning the team with the head-to-head victory as champion.  Have they explained the rationale behind that?

That's actually the case in every conference that doesn't have 12 teams. I guess the rationale is, using last year as an example, Troy beat MT, but was unable to beat stAte which MT was able to do. You finish with identical records and there's no tiebreaker so that's the way it is. If you look at the Big 10 Ohio State has over thirty Big 10 championships, but like half of those are shared titles. Which I realize now the Big 10 has 11 teams and it's possible for two teams to finish with the same records without playing each other, but Michigan and Ohio St shared 5 titles during the 1970's well before there was 11 teams.

I think people expect that head to head is a tiebreaker because they are used to watching the SEC where you have to have tiebreakers to determine division champions because you cannot send more than one team to the conference championship game, however, in conferences with less than 12 teams head to head is not a tiebreaker. It's just a nature of the sport I suppose.
Back to the top

This was a huge debate last year and it is clearly outlined in the Sun-Belt conference by-laws.

Two games that will have a huge effect on the conference title, as mentioned before and now become even more important:

Nov 24th Raiders at Troy
Dec 1st Owls at Troy

Troy is tough at home and they have both game as home games on back-to-back weekends.
Back to the top

mtpikapp said

dusky256fc said

I we beat ASU and FIU and go to Troy with 1 loss and Troy is undefeated in conference and we win, we win the conference.  We would each have 1 loss with FAU beating both Troy and Middle straight up.

GO OWLS!

I apologize, I forgot we played in a B.S. conference, in the real world the winner of the head to head wins with equal records but not in the crappy Sunbelt.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top
Control functions: