Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Post Game Thoughts

Now that I've slept on it, here is what I think…

The bad:

-Disappointing home loss.  We've been playing with fire for weeks now and it burned us yesterday.

- Just too many missed opportunities.  First, I thought the game turned in the 1st 5 minutes.  We had a chance to go up at least 10-0 after the 2nd turnover and didn't cash in.  Then we had the ball 1st in the 2nd half with a chance to add to a 14-10 lead and again the drive stalled.  Finally, we were fortunate to even get to OT and didn't take advantage.  On 4th and a foot and a half, I probably would have gone for it.  I realize you want to come away with something, but it was short enough where I'd feel just as confident about going for that as sending out the FG team.

- The officials stunk, but that is always the case with Sun Belt refs. They weren't the reason we lost, as we had many chances to end the game, but it certainly didn't help.

- There was some questionable play calling.  The repeated handoffs to Rose that clearly weren't working.  Not to mention BJ Manly playing most of the 2nd half, when it was clear to me that Pierre is the better running back.  Also, throwing in the rain led to a big INT.  Just a dumb call.

- The injuries caught up to us.  The D-line is doing their best, but they are struggling with the loss of a couple of key players.  They just aren't getting getting into the backfield.  When we were a healthy unit with Pinnick and Savidge starting, you constantly saw pressure on the QB and backs tackled for a loss.  Not nearly enough of that now.  Also, I thought the loss of Edgecomb really hurt in this game.  He's a weapon out of the backfield, especially catching the ball, and they missed him last night.  Hopefully he's a quick healer.

The not quite as bad:

- All is not lost.  We still control our own destiny in the conference.  We were likely going to have to win at Troy to win the Belt anyway, so nothing really changes from that standpoint, but we can't allow another slip.  Hopefully this added pressure means that they will come ready for these last 3 games with extra focus.  We really haven't played our best football at any point this year.  The defense has taken a hit due to injuries and there are missed opportunities on offense.  Despite all this, we still have a legit shot at the title and don't have to rely on others for help.  We just have to win the last 3 games.  Easier said then done, but at least it is in our hands.  They have to use the bye week to get better and healthier, and use this loss as motivation. 
Back to the top

Re: Post Game Thoughts

I think the most important thing to remember is as long as we win out in conference play we still win the belt and go to our first bowl.  The biggest obstacle is obviously beating Troy in Troy.  I watched them handily beat ASU last night. They are a solid team, it is going to take a solid game from both offense and defense to win that game.  Hopefully this loss will help get the team focused on on fire to win the ASU and FIU games with a solid performance.

Remember…we can still win the conference if we win out and the was the goal at the start of the season!

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Troy is always ususally a strong team (esp the past few years).  I think we have to make it out of gainsville & Miami healthy.  We cant face Troy without everyone 100% or at least close.  Lets hope Troy losses one soon too!
Back to the top

Nunzio42 said

Troy is always ususally a strong team (esp the past few years).  I think we have to make it out of gainsville & Miami healthy.  We cant face Troy without everyone 100% or at least close.  Lets hope Troy losses one soon too!

Even if Troy losses one now, we still have to win the Troy game to win the conference.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

that was my point......its time to run the table, florida aside (i would even like to see that win too though!!!)
Back to the top

That was definitely a disappointing loss.  This is just the norm for college football this year.  Unexpected losses are happening in every conference.  Hopefully Troy will drop some along the way, but I agree they look very good.

Back to the top

Some early post game thoughts:

Post Game Thoughts: FAU vs Monroe

This was a very crazy game, where Monroe appearred looking for ways to give us this game.

The guys to keep their heads-up - they fought very hard in this game.
Back to the top

I believe we we go for fourth and a foot or two not settle for the 3. That was a big big mistake. QB keeper or give it to Pierre, this isn't last years O-Line they have been opening holes and  moving the ball. I heard Nord wanted to run it and Schnelly over ruled it for the 3. We go for it 4th and 6 on the 40 but not fourth and a foot on the 3 that makes no sense. You have got to have more confidence in your players and coach's that is how you get better and build there confidence.
The worst thing about last night was the ref's. Absolutely the worst officiating I have ever seen including the USF game. These clowns had no ides what they were was looking at everything but the plays. Bartels was held and I mean held with a stretched jersey at least 4 times. The midget they had at Back ref missed everything he was over paid for a ref because he simply should not have been on that or any football field. How can you miss the not once but three time climbing on the back of receivers especially in the endzone. I'm pretty sure Jackson who was pursuing the runner in the last play was being held from the back but then so were which is why the runner was able to get to the outside. The refs were more spectaters then refs and don't know what they are supposed to be looking at. Disgusting and embarrassment  if this Conference expects to get better they better do something about they officiating. Scnelly should have walked off the in forfeit the game it was that ridiculous the way the calls were going. We punt and it hits the other teams players leg and they give them the ball. They were pushed into the ball give me a break. If Schnelly doesn't take action with what happened I will really be disappointed. As I said in another post after the game
Back to the top

Post Game Thoughts

May sound weird to say, but I think that loss might end up helping us.  We need a fire lit and losing to that team at home which puts our backs against the wall lights that fire.  If I am right and we get it together and beat Arkansas State, the underdog role along with the chance to go to a bowl game should inspire our players to more than show up for that Troy game.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Very good point. Our players seem to rise to the occassion when its a big game. Well now they are all big games!

Beware the talons of the Mighty Owls!
Back to the top
Control functions: