Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

my spirit has been dashed

as a life long band geek and alum of fau i was so mad to learn that the band left the fau football game, during the game, that i couldn't eat or sleep for two whole days!  there is no excuse for the band leaving ever!  the post writers had it right when they called the fau band "heartless softies" or something of that nature for leaving.  c'mon!  there is just no excuse for leaving and it is probably exactly what louisiana monroe was waiting for before they made their move and took the lead in the game.  everyone knows that without a band…the football team has no shot.  it's just plain science.  so kudos to the post writers for calling it like it is and maybe next time the band won't mind getting a little bit wet next time.  as the saying goes when i was in band on the piccolo…."it can rain, thunder or snow but dammit those trumpets will still blow".  i live by that.
Back to the top

Re: my spirit has been dashed

I can't wait to watch this thread develop…  ;D
Back to the top

rackow said

as a life long band geek and alum of fau i was so mad to learn that the band left the fau football game, during the game, that i couldn't eat or sleep for two whole days!  there is no excuse for the band leaving ever!  the post writers had it right when they called the fau band "heartless softies" or something of that nature for leaving.  c'mon!  there is just no excuse for leaving and it is probably exactly what louisiana monroe was waiting for before they made their move and took the lead in the game.  everyone knows that without a band…the football team has no shot.  it's just plain science.  so kudos to the post writers for calling it like it is and maybe next time the band won't mind getting a little bit wet next time.  as the saying goes when i was in band on the piccolo…."it can rain, thunder or snow but dammit those trumpets will still blow".  i live by that.

I'm really not sure what to say here, I think most of this comment was done tongue in cheek but I'm not entirely sure about that. ???

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

You caught me at a bad time to start this, first off I think it safe to say, that the band Director did what he felt was the right thing to do for his band members and we sometimes forget that the band does not get a huge budget to operate under and must protect the instruments, which cost a lot of money - it has been discussed that they are not able to make a trip to Gainsville because of lack of funds, and don't see them have any extra funds to replace their instrument becuase of rain damage.

Lets give the Band Director the benefit he did what he felt was right and leave it at that.
Back to the top

my spirit has been dashed

i'd go off on you…but our director told us to just leave stuff like this alone. he did what he had to do and he waited until the very last second to make the call for us go in. and as soon as it let up, we were back out there.
Back to the top

Bytor said

You caught me at a bad time to start this, first off I think it safe to say, that the band Director did what he felt was the right thing to do for his band members and we sometimes forget that the band does not get a huge budget to operate under and must protect the instruments, which cost a lot of money - it has been discussed that they are not able to make a trip to Gainsville because of lack of funds, and don't see them have any extra funds to replace their instrument becuase of rain damage.

Lets give the Band Director the benefit he did what he felt was right and leave it at that.

here here…i second this motion!

the band left during a monsoon…you could barely see your hand in front of your face during that period?!

and to go with what Bytor said regarding the instruments, oner has to wonder how they faired afterwards…i mean the drums for one at least have to take a hit with all that moisture…
Back to the top

I'm pretty sure anyone who was ACTUALLY AT THE GAME is on the bands side on this one.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

honestly i was surprised the band stayed as long as it did, and they did come back out and play and play, as a guy near me said towards the end of the game, "it's like titanic, the band just keeps on playing"
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

I'm pretty sure anyone who was ACTUALLY AT THE GAME is on the bands side on this one.

I was at the game. A couple of people around me commented about the band leaving.

Some of the band members had ponchos and they left too… but it sounds like when the band director says 'jump' you say 'how high' and I understand that they had to go.

They came back when it stopped raining and that's what counts. They were there to witness that weird and disappointing end with the rest of the soaked fans.
Back to the top

As a former FAU marching band member for it's first year and beyond (back when we had the hawaii shirts and straw hat) and an instructor for high school marching bands for 5 years, I can tell you it was the right thing to do. I don't know how it is now, but back when I marched, the woodwinds owned their own instruments.. most weren't school owned. Woodwinds and rain do not mix. They can only take so much before you'll have to start replacing key pads which affects the entire instrument. It's like throwing a cell phone in a pool and expecting it to work. It's rediculous to think that they should of stayed out there during heavy rains.

And about losing 2 days of sleep over it.. wow, I hope your kidding.

Back to the top
Control functions: