Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Post Writers Should Be Ashamed

Who writes the "View From The Press Box" pap that the Palm Beach Post obviously considers worthwhile? I can only assume the answer is one or both of the writers with FAU story bylines in today's paper, so I will focus on them.

Today's "Behind The Scenes" is malicious garbage - uncalled for comments based on an obvious lack of knowledge on the subject.

Chuck King and Marcus Nelson, you owe FAU and its marching band an apology. You have shown yourselves to be morons.

FAU's marching band stayed on the field too long at halftime, delaying both the Owls and Warhawks from warming up. Then it hit a real sour note note by having the audacity to leave the stands when it started raining in the second half before marching back when the rain stopped.

Maybe you reporters would know more about which you comment if you brought your cushy chair-filling rumps onto the field and experienced what was going on.

Here are some facts for you:

• Halftime is scripted and controlled by FAU officials. The band is at the mercy of the event coordinator. The band works its butts off to follow the rule and timing. This was Homecoming. Get it? The band was delayed by all of the presentations, queen and king procession, crownings and announcements. Those items ran over the time allotted and caused the band to rush its long- and hard-practiced performance. Should the Marching Owls have just said, "The heck with it. We'll just not play" because the queen and king candidates walked across the field a bit slower than normal, or because it took a few minutes extra for the crowns to be affixed or for the formal photos to be made, or because there were so many Hall of Fame inductees that the halftime was delayed?

• It didn't just rain the the third quarter. It was a monsoon. Most of the fans ran for cover. The band lasted as long as it could before having to leave because of potential instrument damage ('Ever had to pay to repair a soggy woodwind instrument? I have.) Uniforms and expensive decorative items were at risk. The band returned before the rain stopped and in time to make a big difference in the game.

Where were you guys during the storm? Probably on your asses in the dry, air conditioned press box.

You writers should have spent more time proofreading today's stories and less time with your vitriol.

You idiots should be ashamed of yourselves for attacking the one solid FAU support group that NEVER fails the Owls. Stick your heads in an owl burrow and take a deep breath! Then come out and apologize to what is arguably the hardest working student group on campus.

Back to the top

Re: Post Writers Should Be Ashamed

BMarkey said

Who writes the "View From The Press Box" pap that the Palm Beach Post obviously considers worthwhile? I can only assume the answer is one or both of the writers with FAU story bylines in today's paper, so I will focus on them.

Today's "Behind The Scenes" is malicious garbage - uncalled for comments based on an obvious lack of knowledge on the subject.

Chuck King and Marcus Nelson, you owe FAU and its marching band an apology. You have shown yourselves to be morons.

FAU's marching band stayed on the field too long at halftime, delaying both the Owls and Warhawks from warming up. Then it hit a real sour note note by having the audacity to leave the stands when it started raining in the second half before marching back when the rain stopped.

Maybe you reporters would know more about which you comment if you brought your cushy chair-filling rumps onto the field and experienced what was going on.

Here are some facts for you:

• Halftime is scripted and controlled by FAU officials. The band is at the mercy of the event coordinator. The band works its butts off to follow the rule and timing. This was Homecoming. Get it? The band was delayed by all of the presentations, queen and king procession, crownings and announcements. Those items ran over the time allotted and caused the band to rush its long- and hard-practiced performance. Should the Marching Owls have just said, "The heck with it. We'll just not play" because the queen and king candidates walked across the field a bit slower than normal, or because it took a few minutes extra for the crowns to be affixed or for the formal photos to be made, or because there were so many Hall of Fame inductees that the halftime was delayed?

• It didn't just rain the the third quarter. It was a monsoon. Most of the fans ran for cover. The band lasted as long as it could before having to leave because of potential instrument damage ('Ever had to pay to repair a soggy woodwind instrument? I have.) Uniforms and expensive decorative items were at risk. The band returned before the rain stopped and in time to make a big difference in the game.

Where were you guys during the storm? Probably on your asses in the dry, air conditioned press box.

You writers should have spent more time proofreading today's stories and less time with your vitriol.

You idiots should be ashamed of yourselves for attacking the one solid FAU support group that NEVER fails the Owls. Stick your heads in an owl burrow and take a deep breath! Then come out and apologize to what is arguably the hardest working student group on campus.

For once, Bob, I have to agree with you.  I used to play a wind instrument when I was in the Middle Tennessee Band of Blue.  The band spends time during the summer to prepare for the Fall and sometimes has to take long road trips to make games.

And yes, rain can damage any intrument in the band.  It is most harmful to woodwind instruments and can cause brass instruments to rust on the insides of the instrument if precipitation is not cleaned out.

Those guys should be more sensitive to that.
Back to the top

I commented yesterday to my friends how far along the band has come, don't listen to some idiots know nothing about football or apparently bands.

I stopped paying attention to the Post a loooooong time ago, it's written for a sixth grade level intelligence.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Why even read the Post when we can watch journalists smash vegetables instead. Brilliant!

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

Down with journalism!
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

I stopped paying attention to the Post a loooooong time ago, it's written for a sixth grade level intelligence.

you, and half of south palm beach county readers apperantly…the posts have gone by the way side…used to get some comments on the blog there…now, its pretty sad…

Back to the top

I haven't been back for a day or so. Has he apologized yet or even replied to my comments?
Back to the top

no, but i did!  ha ha ha
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

you, and half of south palm beach county readers apperantly…the posts have gone by the way side…used to get some comments on the blog there…now, its pretty sad…

Good thing you don't actually have to post anything for your visit to the site to be counted. All they care about is page views and site traffic you obviously visit the site.

I know I look at all the diferent blogs just about everyday, whether I comment or not. Plus I search for new articles from ANY paper about FAU. It's just part of trying to find out as much (or as little) new information as possible since we seem to go over and over the same things around here.

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

Post Writers Should Be Ashamed

oldschoolowl said

Down with journalism!

Seriously. I've lost so much respect for journalism. I thought it was about reporting the stories but more often than not now it's about CREATING the stories (case in point: Kimberly Miller)
Back to the top
Control functions: