Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Owls to scrimmage against UM today

Add topic

Back to the top

Re: Owls to scrimmage against UM today

Does any one know where it is and if it is open to the public?
Back to the top

fins09065 said

Does any one know where it is and if it is open to the public?

Unfortunately not, at least that's what Marcus from the Post wrote:

"I'm not saying not playing an exhibition is a bad thing - and the Owls do have a scrimmage vs. Miami that is not open to the public - but are exhibition games something the fans would want to see?"

-Go Owls!
Back to the top

so what was the verdict on this...who won, etc?
Back to the top

Owls to scrimmage against UM today

Florida_Owl said

so what was the verdict on this…who won, etc?

I'd like to know as well…
Back to the top

owlcountry said

Florida_Owl said

so what was the verdict on this…who won, etc?

I'd like to know as well…

Here is the answer:

Question from George

Hey Coach,
How did FAU fare against Miami in the scrimmage? What was the score? And how come the public wasn't allowed to come?

Response from Head Coach Rex Walters

That is a very good question. Marcus Nelson from the Palm Beach Post asked the very same question just yesterday. I will give you the same answer (and you won't like the answer either) that I gave him. In a scrimmage, you are playing another team but you are working on specific things in any given scrimmage game. We played all of our players (including our walk-ons) and played very good at times. Playing an ACC Team was very good for us and we definitely held our own against them. We also saw that we have things that we have to do better to be the team that we can be. It was a good learning tool for us and I think both teams benefited from it. The scores of the scrimmages were not important to me (just like our St. Thomas scrimmages). The only games I want to win or comment on are the ones that count for our record. That will start this Friday versus Rhode Island. Thank you for the question and interest!

Go Owls,
Rex Walters
FAU Basketball

Back to the top

Having a closed scrimmage allows you to concentrate on the things you need to work on without the distractions, that would necessarily be there had, fans, media, bands, cheer team etc….

So, I have no problem with that scrimage being closed - the fact that we where able to do so against an ACC team is huge and considering we are practically neighbors also make sense & does help both teams accomplish a bit more and also breaks the norm of practicing against teammates.  At least it gives players & coaches a good gauge as where they are and what is left to be worked on before the season starts and most improntantly conference play.
Back to the top
Control functions: