Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Sun-Belt News Articles - Basketball

Since the main site is geared mostly to football stuff (right now) and I am still trying to figure out how to intergrate all others sports into the mix on the main web-site.  I am hoping in making a main sports page with links (pages) for stats, schedules, etc….

So I will use this thread to post articles geared to the Sun-Belt, for now.
Back to the top

Back to the top

Back to the top

Re: Sun-Belt News Articles - Basketball

Arkansas State Lady Basketball news:

For some reason articles from the Jonesboro Sun are only available for that day on the URL link, and are then moved to archives, I will try to provide the NEWER links ASAP.

I have posted this article in it's entirety for now.

From the Jonesboro Sun

A-State hammers Harding

BY MATTHEW V. ROBERSON
SUN STAFF WRITER

JONESBORO — Arkansas State was a new-look team playing at a new-look pace.
With seven newcomers on the roster, the Lady Indians looked comfortable together for the first time on the floor as they blew past Harding on their way to a 103-75 victory in an exhibition contest Thursday night at the Convocation Center.
ASU’s speed, quickness and pace had the Lady Bison frazzled by the time it was over. Lady Indians coach Brian Boyer was happy and relieved to see his inexperienced team play so well in its first test of the 2007-08 season.
“We showed some good things,” Arkansas State coach Brian Boyer said afterward. “We showed that we’ve made progress during our preseason and our early practices and I think we’ve got an idea of what we are trying to get done. The flip side of that is we made a lot of mistakes tonight, too. There is a lot of things that we can learn from that we’ve been trying to teach in practice. In all, I’m very pleased with the way the night turned out.”
Arkansas State had six players score double figures, including a double-double effort by freshman Sherina Scott to go with a game-high 16 points by sophomore Veronica Smith. Freshman guard Nene Hurst was smooth in scoring 15.
Harding turned the ball over 22 times as Arkansas State pressured the Lady Bison relentlessly. The Lady Indians won the battle on the boards 46-29 and shot 62.9 percent from the field as they dominated the inside.
Scott played the biggest role on the interior, scoring 10 points while grabbing 12 rebounds. She had six boards on each end of the floor. Junior post Ashley Anderson added 11 points inside, hitting all five of her attempts from the floor.
Both performances caught the attention of their head coach.
“I think the real positives were Shay Scott,” Boyer said. “I thought her points came down in the paint and it was good to see that, and also a double-double. I know it’s an exhibition but for a freshman to get a double-double, I thought she was very active in there. And, the other I was really proud of was Ashley Anderson. I thought she was very, very efficient down low.”
Arkansas State was efficient inside but not so strong from the perimeter or the free-throw line. ASU made just 4-of-13 from 3-point range while hitting just 11-of-20 from the line.
The Lady Indians led 47-34 at the half after trailing 21-9 early on. A 14-2 run tied the score at 23-23 as Anderson scored twice inside, including a foul and three-point play for the tying bucket.
Harding moved back out in front before ASU took the lead for good on Angie Criner’s layup in transition off a feed from Jazmine Taylor. Criner’s basket made it 34-32 and the Lady Indians outscored Harding 15-2 to end the first half.
Quickness and power inside was the key as ASU drove to the basket for easy scores. When the Lady Indians missed, they still managed to rebound and put the ball back as they took advantage of a clear size advantage.
Of Arkansas State’s final 15 points of the half, only Ebonie Jefferson’s jumper from the free-throw line came from the outside.
“It started at the point guard spot,” ASU junior guard Brittany Hiles said. “We got out and pushed the ball. The guards ran off the wings and the posts ran the floor. We were much quicker than them and we used that as our advantage.”
The second half was never close.
After Harding scored the first basket of the second half, Arkansas State extended its lead to 64-38 with a 17-2 run. Hiles’ steal, lay-up and free-throw for a three-point play completed the run.
Arkansas State’s biggest lead of the night was 31 as Caroline Starr drained a 3-pointer from the wing for a 93-62 lead with just under five minutes to play. Junior transfer Crystal Kirk put the Lady Indians over the century mark with an easy look off the glass for a 100-73 lead with 2:17 left.
Like many of the Lady Indians, Hurst was playing in her first competition on the Division I college level. Arkansas State has seven newcomers, six of which played and five which scored. Eleven of the 13 Lady Indians who played found their way into the scoring column.
Hurst said she felt comfortable in her first outing while Boyer said Hurst’s 15 points on 6-of-9 shooting, four rebounds and three assists were no surprise.
“It was good,” Hurst said. “We just pushed the ball up the court and got open shots. My teammates helped create some things for me.”
ASU’s Kayla Pospisil did not play because of an ankle injury while Lyndsay Schlup sat out due to an illness.
Harding was paced by shooting guard Lyda Kelsea, who bombed in a game-high 28 points. Kelsea was 5-of-7 from 3-point range and hit 7-of-8 from the line. Catherine McMenamy added 15 for the Lady Bison.
ASU also received 11 points each from Jefferson and Anderson while Starr added 10. Hiles narrowly missed double figures with nine points and also had four steals.
The Lady Indians have one more exhibition set for Monday when Ouachita Baptist visits. They open the regular season a week from today on Friday, Nov. 9, at South Dakota State.
Boyer said there are plenty of areas his team needs to work on before they face Ouachita Baptist or SDSU. But, he was pleased overall by the play of his freshmen and all the Lady Indian newcomers.
“To be honest, I didn’t know how would we perform tonight,” Boyer said. “I was pretty nervous about this — not from a win-loss (standpoint) — but I was concerned that we weren’t ready yet, that we were still way behind in a lot of areas. I’m pleased and I think all the newcomers showed that they are picking things up at a decent pace.”

[email protected]

Copyright 2007 Jonesboro Sun
Back to the top

Arkansas State Men's Basketball:

ASU’s Ajasin out for season

Back to the top

Back to the top

I continue to update some article from around the Belt:

Link: ASU - Tribe trounces Scots