Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Three-way tiebreaker clarification

Three-way tiebreaker clarification

When MTSU lost on Saturday, I started revisiting the three-way tiebreaker rules, which would go into effect if we (gasp!) lose to FIU, but MTSU beats Troy and then we beat Troy, which would leave all three teams at 5-2 in the SBC. According to the tiebreaker rules unearthed last season, which I assume haven't changed, the first three-team tiebreaker is:

- First you eliminate teams without 7 or more wins.

We don't need to go any further than that, because Troy has already won seven games, and the most we can win – assuming we don't beat UF or FIU – is six wins. MTSU can also only get to six wins as Troy is their last game and they are 5-6 right now.

So, obviously we can't lose to either FIU or Troy.
Back to the top

Re: Three-way tiebreaker clarification

Good research Ghost, you must really be into FAU athletics big time
Back to the top

Nah, I just remembered asking the same question last year on the Belt Board, so I looked up the thread and got my answer.
Back to the top

although this scenario is very highly unlikely, thats pretty lame if we would not win the tie breaker due to the fact that we would have beaten the other two teams head to head…both MTSU and Troy…

Back to the top

From the Dothan (Ala.) Eagle:

MTSU playing for pride: The Blue Raiders’ chances of going to the New Orleans Bowl went out the window with a 34-24 loss to UL-Lafayette Saturday.

MTSU still has a chance to finish in a three-way tie for first place in the Sun Belt, but for that to happen, MTSU must beat Troy and Florida Atlantic must beat Troy but also lose to a winless Florida International team.

In that case, FAU would win the three-way tiebreaker with wins over both MTSU and Troy.

“The motivation is to finish the season,” MTSU head coach Rick Stockstill told the Murfreesboro Daily News Journal. “We still have a lot to play for. The scenario is that (sharing the Sun Belt title) is a long shot now, but we’ve got to finish the season. These guys are fierce competitors, and they’ll finish this season. I won’t worry about that.

“If there’s not a conference championship to play for, then we’ve got our pride to play for.”
Back to the top

BMarkey said

From the Dothan (Ala.) Eagle:

MTSU playing for pride: The Blue Raiders’ chances of going to the New Orleans Bowl went out the window with a 34-24 loss to UL-Lafayette Saturday.

MTSU still has a chance to finish in a three-way tie for first place in the Sun Belt, but for that to happen, MTSU must beat Troy and Florida Atlantic must beat Troy but also lose to a winless Florida International team.

In that case, FAU would win the three-way tiebreaker with wins over both MTSU and Troy.

“The motivation is to finish the season,” MTSU head coach Rick Stockstill told the Murfreesboro Daily News Journal. “We still have a lot to play for. The scenario is that (sharing the Sun Belt title) is a long shot now, but we’ve got to finish the season. These guys are fierce competitors, and they’ll finish this season. I won’t worry about that.

“If there’s not a conference championship to play for, then we’ve got our pride to play for.”

good dig BMarkey!
Back to the top

I like how the MTSU coach says on multiple occassions that they will "finish the season." It is almost like he is trying to convince himself that the team won't jump ship. Pretty interesting.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

I guess the information provided to me last season was incorrect…..in a good way! Let's forget about this tie crap and just win both games.
Back to the top

Lets not think tie. Lets just think win the remaining conference games and go bowling. FAU is in a great position. It doesn't matter what anyone else does as long as FAU wins both games they are going to New Orleans. Nothing like having control of your own destiny!!!

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

Lets not think tie. Lets just think win the remaining conference games and go bowling. FAU is in a great position. It doesn't matter what anyone else does as long as FAU wins both games they are going to New Orleans. Nothing like having control of your own destiny!!!

GO OWLS!!!

It is a great situation.  We lose to either FIU or Troy and we do not deserve the Bowl.  We win both and we do deserve the Bowl.  Beating the last place team and then the first place team shows focus and determination.  Bowl-team qualities.

Go Owls!!!
Back to the top
Control functions: