Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU trustees give Brogan high marks...

Add topic

None see the fundraising settlement a "black mark"…

However, the state is not convinced yet and continues its "audit"…

In today's palm beach post:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/search/content/local_news/epaper/2007/11/14/s1b_brogan_11141.html

"FAU starts homework on Brogan pact" - Includes faculty job ratings

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/search/content/south/epaper/2007/11/15/s1b_FAU_1115.html
Back to the top

Re: FAU trustees give Brogan high marks...

Frank Brogan has done a good job over all, and he is a great point man for everything FAU, but for the Board of Trustees to gloss over his obvious blunder with the fund-raiser $500k-plus pay-out is just unconscionable.

The board didn't even mention it and reportedly did not consider it worthy of discussion! An incident that caused FAU its worst publicity in years - one the state is threatening to blow into a full-scale legislative investigation - is not worth the board's time?

The board also dispensed with a professional method of evaluating Brogan and decided instead to submit non-categorized, unorganized narratives. Many members of the board reportedly either didn't submit an evaluation or wrote less than a half page. Did these members not half the 20 minutes a full page of comments might require? Maybe they scribbled something out on a piece of scratch paper on the way to the meeting?

Are you kidding me? Is this a boys' club or a responsible organization that runs a major university?
Back to the top

Brogan has done a fantastic job. He does the small things that people appreciates: he eats with students in the cafeterias, he goes to a lot of sporting events, he goes to student events and he has declined three to four raises in the past five years - one time giving his "raise" to Financial Aid for students.

He is a role model to me and my future aspirations to obtain a career in higher education.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

FAU trustees give Brogan high marks...

I added a new article link at the top…it includes the faculty job ratings for Brogan…

i must comment on the fact that for the most part, in 1998 FAU faculty rated the football notion about the same…and we see how successful that has been overall…

no "surprise" they say what they say about him as well…despite the fundraiser payout…

lastly, i had Professor Tim Lenz in Poly Sci….no further comment on him…….

Back to the top

BMarkey said

Frank Brogan has done a good job over all, and he is a great point man for everything FAU, but for the Board of Trustees to gloss over his obvious blunder with the fund-raiser $500k-plus pay-out is just unconscionable.

The board didn't even mention it and reportedly did not consider it worthy of discussion! An incident that caused FAU its worst publicity in years - one the state is threatening to blow into a full-scale legislative investigation - is not worth the board's time?

The board also dispensed with a professional method of evaluating Brogan and decided instead to submit non-categorized, unorganized narratives. Many members of the board reportedly either didn't submit an evaluation or wrote less than a half page. Did these members not half the 20 minutes a full page of comments might require? Maybe they scribbled something out on a piece of scratch paper on the way to the meeting?

Are you kidding me? Is this a boys' club or a responsible organization that runs a major university?

The question is – didn't the BOT already address it? Didn't they address it when it came out, then address it again when they changed the rules for what Brogan can and can't do without Board authorization, etc. I think it should have been a footnote but they don't need to drag in dead cats to reiterate how much they stink, or so the saying goes.

Brogan is a great guy and well-liked by most. One glaring problem for outsiders is that he doesn't have a Ph.D., which eats into our credibility for whatever reason. Despite the fact that our past Ph.D.-holding presidents have made more boneheaded decisions than Brogan, for whatever reason his lack of Ph.D. does not sit well with peers at, say, UF or FSU.

I commend Brogan for coming in here and wanting to clean up some of "the trash," and his work with Dr.Brown, Craig Angelos and Tom Donaudy all speak to that. I am astounded that nobody before Brogan had the vision to turn this place into a "traditional college", although Catanese did initiate the football team, did he not?
Back to the top

owlcountry said

I am astounded that nobody before Brogan had the vision to turn this place into a "traditional college", although Catanese did initiate the football team, did he not?

correct…initial "thought"…however, there were a number of other administrators who played roles in getting it going…one of which was Tom Cargill, former AD…

Cargill had the notion to call Howard about becoming the point man to raise funds, and hire a coach, one evening while at at home, (Howard was selling bonds at the time)…the conversation went very much like this:

BS = Beverly
TC = Tom Cargill
HS = Howard

7:30ish PM…

*Ring*

BS "Hello"

TC "Hello, may i speak to Howard?"

BS "Yes, may i tell him who's calling?"

TC "Tom Cargill, with FAU Athletics"

BS "Ok, just a moment please"

HS "Hello, Howard speaking"

TC "Hello Howard, this is Tom Cargill, AD for FAU"

HS "Who?"

TC "Tom Cargill, with Florida Atlantic, here in Boca Raton"

HS "Oh, ok what can i do for you?"

TC "We are starting a Football Program and would like you to be the man to make it happen" (paraphrased)

*VERY long pause*

TC "Are you still there?"

HS "Are you kidding?"

TC "(Laughs) No, I am very serious"

HS "You're serious?"

TC "Yes, I am serious"

*another pause*

TC "Howard?"

HS "Ok, tell me what your thoughts are"

And now you know, the rest of the story…….

Back to the top
Control functions: