Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Post Game Thoughts

The Owls hung in for a half, which is pretty much what I expected.  They weren't physically overmatched on the offensive and defensive lines and that was good to see.  The offense played a great 1st half.  Excellent job by Rusty and the recievers.  Hopefully this was a good confidence builder for them. UF's D isn't great, but that was they have the best athletes that we will see all year and they moved the ball at will once they got rolling in the 2nd Quarter.

The defense had a tough game, but that was expected.  UF puts up points on everyone, so i'm not too concerned about it.

The best thing about this game is that there were no major injuries heading into the last 2 SBC games.  It was a good learning experience.  Too bad they couldn't cover the spread, but I can't argue with taking out the starters for the 4th quarter.  I mean, we need Rusty healthy and that was never more evident then when Clayton was brought in…I know that he was palying with all backups, but yikes!  >:(

Overall, not a bad game.  UF just had too many athletes.  Now we just have to move on and focus on FIU.  GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Re: Post Game Thoughts

fauowls44 said

The Owls hung in for a half, which is pretty much what I expected.  They weren't physically overmatched on the offensive and defensive lines and that was good to see.  The offense played a great 1st half.  Excellent job by Rusty and the recievers.  Hopefully this was a good confidence builder for them. UF's D isn't great, but that was they have the best athletes that we will see all year and they moved the ball at will once they got rolling in the 2nd Quarter.

The defense had a tough game, but that was expected.  UF puts up points on everyone, so i'm not too concerned about it.

The best thing about this game is that there were no major injuries heading into the last 2 SBC games.  It was a good learning experience.  Too bad they couldn't cover the spread, but I can't argue with taking out the starters for the 4th quarter.  I mean, we need Rusty healthy and that was never more evident then when Clayton was brought in…I know that he was palying with all backups, but yikes!  >:(

Overall, not a bad game.  UF just had too many athletes.  Now we just have to move on and focus on FIU.  GO OWLS!

I agree, but now we have to channel this game, & take it out on FIU next week. We need to hand FIU a game, like we were just handed to us.  Full of Lumps & Bruises. Not saying we got handed a lot of lumps & bruises today, it's just hard sustaining momentum against a team like them.

I have NEVER liked that team we played today, & NEVER will. I wish them nothing but Ill-fortune, forever & always.

Sour grapes? Yep!!! Sore loser? Yep!!! That's me.

Beat the Golden Kitty's!!!!!
Back to the top

I wasn't able to catch the game. As fate would have it I have Gameplan at home, but I left yesterday to spend the week with family. Oh well, from what I was able to tell by tracking the updates it looks like the team did pretty well the first half. The most impressive thing is that FAU was down 21-0 and made the game into a 28-20 game with about 2:00 minutes left in the first half. That is quite different from the team that would have folded under the pressure earlier in the season. Also, if you take away the blocked punt for a TD the game would have that much closer.

All in all this game has to be a great learning experience for the OWLS. It should also provide a springboard heading into the FIU game. The game was a win-win. FAU gained lots of experience and nobody was hurt.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Excellent points OwlFan.

CJDub, I know what you mean—- watching the interviews I felt proud "not being them". Wherever this program goes, I hope we continue to recruit athletes who are smart, and play their heart out.  ;)

Beware the talons of the Mighty Owls!
Back to the top

Post Game Thoughts

I didn't think we could hang with these guys but I was really impressed in the first half.  Their size, strength, etc. is just a little too much for a young team like ours but I was proud of the way the guys stayed in the game and played hard until the last snap.

We made a good showing and got out of the swamp with NO injuries that's what matters.

Now let's stay focused, kick the crap out of FIU and go to Troy with an attitude.  I feel now more than before the game that we can in the Sunbelt and I can go eat gumbo and drink many Blackened Voodoo.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

i thought it was awesome. ive only been to the swamp to watch UF play..and i hate them. it was awesome being able to support my owls there. like everyone has said, we played pretty well in the first half. i felt the first two drives we were maybe alittle nervous or something, but really, once we got it going, we kept it going. the touchdown right at the end of the half hurt. and i think that, like always, we need to come out and play 60 mins of football, but i guess that just comes with time, being that this is a young team. i always felt that we didnt do so great against the run and did better covering the pass, but today seemed to be the exact opposite. they were throwing all over the place and we couldnt stop it. but we did a pretty nice job stopping the run it seemed, minus a couple big runs by tebow, and the touchdown by their back up. which by the way. he's a freaking giant! dude looks like he's 6'5" and 250! anyways. i think this gave the OWLS some great experience and we are injury free for FIU and Troy..

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

I went to a local place in Jax to watch the game, & not to my surprise, I was the ONLY Owl fan there. I could see the Gator Bandwagoneers snickering at me, but I was laughing at them, because I knew we could hang with them for a while. I wasn't too worried, except when they blocked the punt, because I knew if we didn't make up for that one then we'd be in trouble. When we got our 1st FG, I was like 'Cool, now we can settle down, & start playing ball.' Then we went on a roll, & when that happened, ALL of the Yokels stopped "Yucking" it up, & started wringing their hands, because we had just left a "Big Steamer" right in the middle of their Living Room floor, & they looked like they didn't know how to clean it up.

One guy started to console me, but when he was doing so, Gent scored his TD, so I calmly said, "Dude, we have noting to lose, but your pride is on the line." He didn't speak to me anymore. I laughed.

I did know that if they scored to open the 3rd qtr, then it was over, but we had a lil hope then the 4th down flub happened, & that was that.

Anyway, I had a good time watching the Gaytors squirm. We'll see them again in 2011.

Go Owls!!!
Back to the top

Anyway, I had a good time watching the Gaytors squirm. We'll see them again in 2011.

Things will be sooooo different in 2011. We will have a new stadium. The Boca Campus will have a state of the art teaching hospital. There might be as many as 2500 more students living on campus. Maybe more. The Owls will walk into the swamp feeling a little more equal.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Couldn't agree more. I've been amazed recently at the "heaps" of money that Lil' Big Man has been able to bring in. My feeling is that we will be "The University" if your kid wants to attend college in south Florida (say 2011  :D).

Ideally these things go hand in hand i.e. endowments to the university, Alumni support, and Boostering for "all" athletics.

Beware the talons of the Mighty Owls!
Back to the top

Had a great time and what a great atmoshpere, only regret, leaving my camera in the car  :P

Post Game toughts: FAU vs Gators

Back to the top
Control functions: