Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU game footballs different?

I noticed this the last game as a FG soared passed me in the stands, but reminded of it when I saw BMarkey's game pictures in another post.

Has anyone ever noticed the off-color of FAU game balls?  I was wondering what the deal was with that.  Anyone know?

Seems very odd to me.  I looked at more pictures and it seems we don't use the same type of ball all the time.  And no, this isn't just a ball for the kicking game as you'll see in the pictures I attached courtesy of BMarkey's site.

The only thing I can think of is ASU used their own ball.  If that's the case than that's just garbage.

Like things, love people.
Back to the top

Re: FAU game footballs different?

Each team uses its own balls. They even have the schools' logos on them. FAU's footballs do seem to be lighter and more orange in color.
Back to the top

FAU game footballs different?

BMarkey,

I may be wrong but I think each team uses the home team's ball within games.  If you notice in a couple of the pictures, those are different balls in the same game.

I think this is an NCAA rule, actually.  If not, we should've brought a nurf Turbo football to UF!

Back to the top

I'll have to go back and look at older pictures, but I was under the impression that each school uses its logo ball when on offense. I assume it must be the same size, weight, inflation percentage, etc.

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

South Florida game

South Florida game

In that game, I have pictures showing a ball with a Nike logo and others with "Wilson" on both sides. Some have the FAU logo.
Back to the top

Yeah, they all should be FAU and nike logo balls, but the attached picture shows a ball that's much different.  I mean the threads on the ball are even black!

Back to the top

That's the Wilson ball. I have many pictures of it. Maybe it's ASU's ball.
Back to the top

d. During the entire game, either team may use a new or nearly new ball
of its choice when it is in possession, providing the ball meets the
required specifications and has been measured and tested according to
rule (Exception: The official NCAAfootball shall be used for theDivisions I-AA, II and III championships).

According to the NCAA Football Rule book, Rule 1-2, Section 3

And I was always under the impression that the visiting team brought their own balls as the QB may have a certain preference with psi etc…
Back to the top

That's what I thought.
Back to the top

Interesting.  That's like a visiting baseball team bringing their own balls to the game.

Back to the top
Control functions: