Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Is The New Stadium Going to be Dry???

Add topic

I read somthing about this a while ago and ment to post something, but after the UF game this weekend, i would have a hard time going to a football game and not haveing a few beers. I guess they dont sell beer in the B Ball arena, but i have been a guest on occasion upstairs for FREE Beer…

I am assuming that if the stadium is dry, that the club seats and boxes wont be?? Gess the price of my seats just went up a bit..

it may be too early to tell, but does anyon have any idea on this??

Peyton
Back to the top

Re: Is The New Stadium Going to be Dry???

Is The New Stadium Going to be Dry???

I think if it's an on campus staudium it has to be dry, someone at FAU told me that not sure if he was 100% sure.

You can still tailgate and flasks work well if your a rum guy, as I am. 

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

I had heard that most on-campus NCAA stadiums do not sell alcoholic beverages.  I could be wrong but that seems to be the case.  Dolphins stadium, lockhart, and the OB are owned by municipalities or privately owned so they can and do sell it.  I remember going to a Shula Bowl on FIU campus a few years ago and they did not sell it.

At Bball games on FAU campus, beer and wine is served upstairs for Owl Club members that donate at least $500 per year, but that is not sold it is given away.

I have a feeling it will be a similar scenario in our new stadium. 
Back to the top

I am sure if you want to buy a luxury suite you can drink in the new stadium.  Dry campus just means they don't sell it and when the build the stadium on campus, they won't sell beer.

This has been a long running joke because if you walk into the burrow, the largest sign in there is (or at least was) Budweiser!

Like things, love people.
Back to the top

From the NCAA Division 1 Manual (see last entry):

31.6.2 Concessions.
The following conditions or restrictions apply to all concession items sold at any event sponsored or administered by the Association:

(a) Any merchandise or material bearing any name, logo, trademarks or service marks of the Association that is to be sold or distributed at an event sponsored or administered by the Association must have the prior approval of the NCAA president before being sold or distributed. No such merchandise or material shall be sold or distributed by anyone except as designated by the NCAA. The host institution may sell merchandise that features an institutional mark or logo at NCAA competition only if it has guaranteed a sellout of the NCAA merchandise at the site of the competition and has agreed to provide the NCAA championship 25 percent of gross sales (after sales taxes) of all non-NCAA championship merchandise. The quantity of NCAA merchandise sent to the site shall have the prior approval of the president and shall not be less than a comparable shipment to a comparable site of the previous year's championship. (Revised: 12/4/89)

(b) The NCAA owns the rights to all concession items other than food or drink sold at such events. Any merchandise or material to be sold at such events must have prior approval of the NCAA president, and any unapproved material shall be barred from the premises. If the championship facility has prior contractual commitments with outside vendors, the NCAA will endeavor to work with such vendors to advance the policies of the Association in the sale of concession items as herein stated.

© The NCAA may authorize others, including the host institution or the coaches organization for the sport involved in the particular event, to sell and distribute concession items.

(d) Income payable to the NCAA from the sale of concession items other than food and drink at such events shall be included in the gross receipts of the championship.

(e) No alcoholic beverages shall be sold or dispensed for public consumption at any event sponsored by or administered by the Association.

Back to the top

Doesn't mean you can't tailgate and drink in the parking lot ;D
you just can't bring or buy any alcohol on the inside

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

I'm confused, which is not unusual. The lengthy quotation from the rules – thanks for looking it up, by the way – may apply only to championship events, such as tournaments. I am not certain, but the language in the quotation suggests this.

I think regular season contests might be handled a different way, conference by conference and, in some cases, institution by institution. Some conferences prohibit alcohol. Sometimes it is a matter of public university (frequently bans alcohol) or private university.

And it certainly makes a difference where you sit in a venue. The public areas often are dry, but suites, etc., often let it flow.

Air Force sells no alcohol in general seating areas, though suites have it (and it is allowed in tailgating). The University of Colorado, which used to allow beer sales, now bans it (except in suites). Oklahoma State, Kansas and Kansas State (like Colorado, in the Big 12) ban it (in general seating). The University of Florida did not allow alcohol sales, of course. The University of Denver (private) sells beer, wine and liquor in general seating areas, all of which help make NCAA hockey games a lot more fun. However, the NCAA-administered Frozen Four (Division I hockey championship) in St. Louis last year did not allow alcohol.

For many years, the Orange Bowl did not sell beer at Miami Dolphin home games, prompting fans (who, me?) to smuggle in flasks of rum to mix with Cokes – and this was a treat on those sweltering Sunday afternoons. In those days, you could get alcohol only in OB suites and the press box.

Does anyone know the practice at other Sun Belt schools with on-campus stadiums? I have been to the old FIU stadium, but I cannot recall whether beer was sold there (that would have been pre-Sun Belt anyway, I guess). I always was surprised (but pleased) that beer was sold at Lockhart, considering the school district's involvement.
Back to the top

I don't know the rule. But we do have one thing in our favor - WE ARE A WET CAMPUS RIGHT NOW.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

Most colleges and universities have the dry stadium on campus rule.  When Arizona Cardinals used to play at Sun Devil stadium I remember reading that the professional team still could not sell beer.
Back to the top

I remember hearing talks that FAU Athletics were trying to figure out a way to sell beer at the Burrow. That was a year ago. Don't know what ever happened with that.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top
Control functions: