Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

CAMPUS LIFE - now and then

Add topic

There is no doubt that the campus has changed. Blogger Jab talked about his days on the 2nd floor of Modoc and block painting. He also remembers the NightOwls golf cart service.  I remember being told by Pablo Paez in 2002 that if I walk in the seal (which is on the floor in front of the University Center, now called Student Union) I wouldn't graduate. I also remember when there was no GN building, no traditions plaza and there was no expansion in the cafeteria. And the old owl logo use to be painted in both cafeterias! not anymore.

When y'all went to FAU….what was it like???  What's your best memories of campus and campus-life?

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

Re: CAMPUS LIFE - now and then

smittysahoot said

When y'all went to FAU….what was it like???  What's your best memories of campus and campus-life?

When I first came to FAU (in 2000), I did the whole "go to class and then leave" thing but as far as I remember there was no:

- Centre Marketplace (SU Cafe), Wackadoo's (I'm not sure if anything was even there), Einstein's (was the 24-hour study center), Starbucks (it was some sort of club office where you could get balloons and stuff)
- GN, BU, Biomedical Science Building, and the Behavioral Sciences building was smaller
- HPT, GPT… I think IRT was only one wing… or was it always East AND West?
- Volleyball pavillion in the Housing Quad
- Parking Garages
- Traditions Plaza, Jewish Center
- football team (At that time Rusty Smith should have been, what, 12 or 13?!?)

Other differences:
- The landscaping was awful. It is getting much better now… I'm not sure who is in charge of it… perhaps Tom Donaudy? We need more shady trees (like the oaks with the wide canopy) and fewer palm trees.
- The Owl Card Center was in the University Center where the Graduate Student Office is now.
- The campus bookstore was in the University Center where the Grand Palm room is now. It was really sad. I just remember it being cramped and dimly-lit.
- Several of the older residence halls were up (Timucua, Seminole, Modoc, etc)… which ones were east of the Housing Office, where the Housing lawn is now? They have a postcard of it at FAU. They used to have public barbecue grills, like at the beach!

Ooft.

When I came for freshmen orientation, they made us sit in a hallway on the second floor of GCS (now GS) with a paper course catalogue. They told us to put our name on a list, sit down and then create three different class schedules using the catalogue. We were told we might have to wait as much as five hours. I waited three and a half.

If FAU had offered all their architecture classes in Boca Raton – they were in Fort Lauderdale and I didn't have a car – then I would be an architect right now.
Back to the top

When I came down here '99 there was no Wackadoo's but we had the Rath Skeller. It was just some room next to the PC where you can play pool and watch tv. It was never really busy when I would go in there.

- There used to be a trailer sitting in the middle of campus and you could buy Laundry Detergent, cookies, snacks stuff like that, kind if a like a mini mart. I believe it used to be on the lawn closer to the breezway by Modoc

-Bank Atlantic was this tiny office on the 2nd floor of the breezeway, next to the owl card center

-At one point I believe it was Naskapi that was used as a scantron center

- There was no pizza hut or Jersey Mikes Subs or a buffet style dining room. It was 1 dining room and it would be open until about 4pm then after that if you wanted Pizza call up Dominoes and put it on your meal card or walk across the street to the shell station and get a sub from subway.

- The BBQ Pits are still there, I think they just moved them closer to HPT and IRT

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

well, guess i am the "old man"…lol

echo all of the above and add a little bit as well…

moved in in 1992…"Napsack" (Naskapi Hall)

basketball team moved to 1A that year  and went 3-25 :o

The team finally won at home by defeating Georgia State…when time expired, the fans flooded the then "gymnasium" floor - trampleing the Game Ops Manager and breaking his finger in the process…he tried to stop them….bad move…

only place to eat was the cafeteria, and The Rat - mentioned above…but the place was continually a Ghost Town…

EXCEPT for Monday Night Football - 10c, thats right, 10c wings…….of course then it would pack out…hey, why not at 10 wings for a buck…and when they would have bands in at night it would sometimes be full…

there was a little place (as Jab mentioned) called the "Pit Stop" as the end of Napsak…they eventually were forced to close due to rats - well, at least thats what was rumored…it only offered snacks and pre packed food - that usually was leftovers from lunch - uh, no thanks…….it re-opened, but not sure for how long afterwards…

all of the original dorms were in tact…

The place to "chill", BBQ, and hang out late night was The Pits…it sat between Modoc and Napsak - offering sand volleyball court and a BBQ pavillion…

lived through the "mercury scare" - some student brought mercury back to his dorm room and spilled it on the floor….game over for that dorm…all students had to be moved to a nearby hotel…

No student apartments…

No soccer fields…

FAU played its soccer games over at the Henderson Field…

No Engineering Building…

Campus Police was where the Bank Atlantic now is - yep, the whole department…

SO250 was the latest thing for academic classrooms…

if i can find any pics to share, ill post…but might be tough…thats a while ago obviously :)

Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

well, guess i am the "old man"…lol

echo all of the above and add a little bit as well…

moved in in 1992…"Napsack" (Naskapi Hall)

basketball team moved to 1A that year  and went 3-25 :o

The team finally won at home by defeating Georgia State…when time expired, the fans flooded the then "gymnasium" floor - trampleing the Game Ops Manager and breaking his finger in the process…he tried to stop them….bad move…

only place to eat was the cafeteria, and The Rat - mentioned above…but the place was continually a Ghost Town…

EXCEPT for Monday Night Football - 10c, thats right, 10c wings…….of course then it would pack out…hey, why not at 10 wings for a buck…and when they would have bands in at night it would sometimes be full…

there was a little place (as Jab mentioned) called the "Pit Stop" as the end of Napsak…they eventually were forced to close due to rats - well, at least thats what was rumored…it only offered snacks and pre packed food - that usually was leftovers from lunch - uh, no thanks…….it re-opened, but not sure for how long afterwards…

all of the original dorms were in tact…

The place to "chill", BBQ, and hang out late night was The Pits…it sat between Modoc and Napsak - offering sand volleyball court and a BBQ pavillion…

lived through the "mercury scare" - some student brought mercury back to his dorm room and spilled it on the floor….game over for that dorm…all students had to be moved to a nearby hotel…

No student apartments…

No soccer fields…

FAU played its soccer games over at the Henderson Field…

No Engineering Building…

Campus Police was where the Bank Atlantic now is - yep, the whole department…

SO250 was the latest thing for academic classrooms…

if i can find any pics to share, ill post…but might be tough…thats a while ago obviously :)

Florida_Owl where was the place to hang out off campus? Of course there was Ft. Lauderdale, I remember when I was in school the "place" to go was Nippers on Thursday nights, $1.00 pitchers (now you couldn't catch me dead there lol) I believe on Thursday nights also Surf Cafe (I think it was off of Yamato, can't remember) used to have nickel drafts. I'm guessing that wishing well was around then but no one ever mentioned it, I think a few times I went to that 70's club near the well, What was it called? Polyesters or something like that? It was awful thats all I remember lol

Back to the top

Club Boca for College Nite - Thursday night…open bar til 10:00pm…then the "T-Shirt contest" at 2:00am…

longest lines i have ever seen…hindrfeds of peopel logn at times…unless you knew Ty (the guy who rant the entrance) and could get in that way…

place was ran by the mafia and closed down…

There was also Dirty Moes (the place you are refering to close to Yamato)…It was at Spanish River and Dixie…

totally changed and then they sold it when they couldnt keep the college business…

Yeah, Polyesters was in for a while too later on…downtown Boca by Palmetto and Federal…that didnt last too long though…
Back to the top

CAMPUS LIFE - now and then

I graduated in 1987..

We used to wheel a keg out to the baseball games in a red wagon (a long pull down a sandy trail)  There was alway an old man there with a hand cranked  ooooga horn that he let loose when we scored…

We had girls basketball but strangely I don't remember going to any mens BB.

We called the dorms by their numbers.  Mine was 20 (torn down not too long ago)

My last year we had a Coed Dorm… OK girls were on the 3rd floor and we couldn't get in without a key… and it was the first year with freshmen..

The rat was the place to be on Thursday night (at least on campus)

The Bounty in the Holiday Inn at Glades and 95
Lakeside at the Holiday in at Glades and the turnpike
And the Button, Confetti's, The Elbow Room and Summers' in Ft Lauderdale were a blast

Oh Yeah.. I can't forget the Candy Store and the Wet Nighty contests.. ;-)

Only one frat when I got there (ATO) and no sororities (three Frats when I left ATO, Pi Lam and AE Pi)

You knew just about everyone that lived on campus (there was only about 1000)

Mitch the Police Aide… (If you were there you know who I am talking about)

Living on campus was what you made it.  I had a blast and enjoyed my time living there.
Back to the top

HOTEL said

I graduated in 1987..

We used to wheel a keg out to the baseball games in a red wagon (a long pull down a sandy trail)  There was alway an old man there with a hand cranked  ooooga horn that he let loose when we scored…

My last year we had a Coed Dorm… OK girls were on the 3rd floor and we couldn't get in without a key… and it was the first year with freshmen..

And the Button, Confetti's, The Elbow Room and Summers' in Ft Lauderdale were a blast

Only one frat when I got there (ATO) and no sororities (three Frats when I left ATO, Pi Lam and AE Pi)

Living on campus was what you made it.  I had a blast and enjoyed my time living there.

wow, so you wetn to games on the "b-field" before they even had the field they play on now…

yeah, we called the dorms by numbers too, modoc was 7…i lived there for a while after Napsak… :)

and napsak was coed floors even!  right across from us there was an all girls suite…if you recall, Napsak had two suites connected by a bathroom…so it was eight per "section" (four on each side of the joined bathroom)…those were the good old times :0

hall 20 was called Sekani right??

i remember Mohave, Sekani, Modoc, Naskapi, Seminole and Algonquin…
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

HOTEL said

I graduated in 1987..

wow, so you wetn to games on the "b-field" before they even had the field they play on now…

yeah, we called the dorms by numbers too, modoc was 7…i lived there for a while after Napsak… :)

and napsak was coed floors even!  right across from us there was an all girls suite…if you recall, Napsak had two suites connected by a bathroom…so it was eight per "section" (four on each side of the joined bathroom)…those were the good old times :0

hall 20 was called Sekani right??

i remember Mohave, Sekani, Modoc, Naskapi, Seminole and Algonquin…

We didn't call the dorms by numbers but I lived in Algonquin 1 year and Modoc for a year. Algonquin was like Naskapi in that it had 2 suites connected by 1 bathroom. Modoc was also coed. Algonquin was guys on 1 side and girls on the other side. You needed a key to get into the girls side. Not that it mattered since most of the girls put penny's in the door anyway so it wouldn't close all the way and all you had to do was push the door open lol

Back to the top

Jab979 said

Not that it mattered since most of the girls put penny's in the door anyway so it wouldn't close all the way and all you had to do was push the door open lol

ha ha…i remember that!
Back to the top
Control functions: