Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

OFFICIAL: Thread - FAU vs Troy

Might as well get it started early, this is a big game for the Owls.

A win against the Trojans, sends us to our first ever Bowl game in only our second year in the Belt  :D

We will have to play our best.

Go Owls!!
Back to the top

Re: OFFICIAL: Thread - FAU vs Troy

Troy is going to be fired up. Its defense and special teams are much improved; the Trojans have a chance for their first 9-win season since moving to I-A; it's their final home game; they have a chance to make three bowls in four years; might be ranked in the top 25; have their highest-ever BCS ranking (38 last week); are now and finally being recognized as the best team in Alabama; are starting to receive positive press normally reserved for the "big two"; and are gaining new fans and those who have been culturally bred into the 'Bama and 'Burn camps; and Troy has the ground speed and passing of Omar and a core group of around 13 receivers, RB Kenny Catthouse, fullback Sean Dawkins, national kick return leader and DB McKelvin and national INT leader Mack.

FAU is facing its biggest game in history; first realistic chance for a bowl game; chance to win its first conference title over the team almost everyone else thought would run the table; opportunity to slap the faces of the coaches and media who showed the Owls no respect in August; opportunity to make a statement in Florida, the SunBelt and the nation; has a legendary, beloved coach; fans who have to work hard to love and follow their Owls, an offense peaking with great passing game and suddenly solid running game; and a stingy, gritty defense.

I hope there are lots of Owls in Troy Saturday. Make the 9-hour car trip (Turnpike to north I-75, to west I-10, to north U.S. 231 and straight north through Dothan to Troy), or check into cheap flights to Atlanta (2.5- to 3-hour drive to Troy), Birmingham (2 hours to Troy and cheap from PBI and FLL on Southwest), Montgomery or Dothan (hour from Troy in either direction).

E-mail me if you want to know about motels, local phone numbers (they sometimes hold rooms for local reservations), places to eat, tailgate, park and see. It's a nice little town with very friendly people (when you're not in or near the student section).

I can't wait for a great game.

Back to the top

USA Today's Sagarin ratings are out. These offer rankings as well as predictors for all Division I schools (lumping A and AA together).

They show Troy at No. 45 and FAU at No. 95. Using the Sagarin predictor scheme, Troy would be installed as a 14-point or 17-point favorite next Saturday. (This includes 3 points for being home team.)

How about FIU, you ask? Yikes! No. 182, behind 62 – count 'em, 62 – Division I-AA (or whatever it's called these days) schools. On the bright side (for FIU, that is), 60 Division I-AA schools fall behind the Golden Panthers. Last? LaSalle at No. 242.

Here's the link: USATODAY.com
Back to the top

Troy also got into the "other receving votes" list on both both polls out today. They had 3 in each poll. Chances of being ranked are slim to none, but at least they are representing the sunbelt well. If there is a team lined up next to move to a bigger conference it has to be them first. I think FAU are reallly pushing for second consideration though. Most of the time when a bigger conference comes calling they'll take two more teams anyway so it can be evened out.
Back to the top

This is going to be a HUGE game for both programs. I was really impressed with the way Troy played against MTSU and I was equally impressed with FAUs performance against FIU. This game could produce some real fireworks since it isn't only for the conference title, but also for the only bowl invite for an SBC team.

I think the game will definitely be decided by the QB play. Rusty has the chance to really put himself on the map if he can put together a big performance against Troy. Omar poses a dual threat that will be difficult for FAU to contain. This is going to be one hell of a game.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Yes, this will be a great game. If FAU plays the way they did in the 2nd and 4th quarters against FIU we will have a show on our hands.

It's too bad we could not pull out that game against ULM, because we would be sitting at 7-5 and assured of a bowl game no matter what happened at Troy. But, now we can plat to win and get in.

Can't wait!
Back to the top

I always root for FAU unless of course against USF. I'm pretty hyped for this game against Troy…I think FAU can win a close one and go to the New Orleans Bowl…that would make 5 Florida schools in Bowl Games…GO OWLS!
Back to the top

FAUHawk said

Yes, this will be a great game. If FAU plays the way they did in the 2nd and 4th quarters against FIU we will have a show on our hands.

It's too bad we could not pull out that game against ULM, because we would be sitting at 7-5 and assured of a bowl game no matter what happened at Troy. But, now we can plat to win and get in.

Can't wait!

simply not true… first of all, winning against ULM we'd be at 7-4 right now, not 7-5… second, it would not "guarantee" us a bowl at all… the Sun Belt Conference has ONE "guarantee" to bowl games, and that's the champion of the conference to go to the new orleans bowl… other than that, it would have to be a bowl extending an invitation to us, which would be very unlikely

nevertheless, GO OWLS and BEAT TROY

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

OFFICIAL: Thread - FAU vs Troy

The chances are decent of Troy getting a bowl invite if it loses. A record of 8-4 and no bowl would cause some media attention.

Troy has been receiving poll votes for many weeks, on and off, starting again last week. Troy had received 13 or more votes until losing by 10 to No. 10 Georgia. Then all votes stopped, even from the writer from Georgia who had been voting Troy No. 21 or 20 for weeks prior to that. So, a 33rd-ranked team gives No. 10 all it can handle and gets penalized by losing all support? Just pathetic.

Anyway, Troy was back with votes last week even though it did not play. Some of us thought a big win over MTSU on national TV, coupled with some losses, and Troy could have gotten into the top 25. Instead, as usual, the 'Belt was snubbed as lesser teams with four losses got in or stayed in. UCF beat a crummy CUSA team and was rewarded, while Troy destroyed a decent SunBelt team (one that lost close to UVA and beat bowl-bound Memphis) and got no love whatsoever.

The polls are biassed at best.
Back to the top

fauowl09 said

FAUHawk said

Can't wait!

simply not true… first of all, winning against ULM we'd be at 7-4 right now, not 7-5… second, it would not "guarantee" us a bowl at all… the Sun Belt Conference has ONE "guarantee" to bowl games, and that's the champion of the conference to go to the new orleans bowl… other than that, it would have to be a bowl extending an invitation to us, which would be very unlikely

You are right, I'm sorry I mis-typed and put 7-5 instead of 7-4. Second, the way things have shaped up, there are not enough 7 win teams to fill all of the bowls, and since there are a handful of bowls that are not contractually tied up, the bowls would be required to take a 7-win team over a 6-win team. Likewise, if there are not enough bowl-eligible teams from an in-conference contractual stand and the bowls have to then go outside of that conference to fill a slot they must take a 7 win team instead of a 6 win team. So, if WV goes to the NC game then it is likely the  Big East will not have enough teams to fill their contractual spots and have to look at other conferences, in which they would be required to take a 7 win team if one is available over a 6 win team. There will probably be a handful of games that will have to chose out-of-contract teams, and there is currently on 1 team that has 7 or more wins and does not have a contractual tie-in. Had FAU won at ULM and lost to Troy to sit at FAU they would have most likely gone to a bowl game, and if FAU beats Troy next week, Troy with 8 wins will likely go to a bowl game. But it's possible they will not should things line up and there somehow be enough 7 win teams or enough 6-win team tie-ins…
Back to the top
Control functions: