Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

C-USA versus Sunbelt

Owl fans,
It's been a little while since I posted in the nest. I stop by and read from time to time and this morning I was noticing still more talk about getting out of the Belt at all costs. At this point we, as individual teams within a conference, need to realize that the BCS invite, though not impossible, is unlikely, and anything else most notably C-USA, should be viewed as a lateral move at best. In regards to football, C-USA has 2 things on us, more bowl ties and a 12 member league produces more bowl eligible teams. We beat C-USA head to head last year and a win in the N.O.B. by FAU or Troy will bring this years head to head to even. The Belt has 3 victories over the BCS conferences this year and C-USA has 2. As an MT fan, there are only three possibilities that I actually would want to see happening 1) A BCS invite(duh) 2) The fabled C-USA/Sun Belt shake up making both conference stronger and more regional 3) A Belt power play to attract 3 schools from other conferences. I don't think encouraging more movement up from 1aa is the way to go. C-USA is a dying football conference, at this point Tulsa and UCF are the only two teams I am confident would come out of the Belt with winning records. Anyway, just something to think about. Good luck against Troy, they're for real, and if you do manage to beat Troy have fun with the Belt's whipping boy Memphis in New Orleans.
Back to the top

Re: C-USA versus Sunbelt

mtpikapp said

Owl fans,
It's been a little while since I posted in the nest. I stop by and read from time to time and this morning I was noticing still more talk about getting out of the Belt at all costs. At this point we, as individual teams within a conference, need to realize that the BCS invite, though not impossible, is unlikely, and anything else most notably C-USA, should be viewed as a lateral move at best. In regards to football, C-USA has 2 things on us, more bowl ties and a 12 member league produces more bowl eligible teams. We beat C-USA head to head last year and a win in the N.O.B. by FAU or Troy will bring this years head to head to even. The Belt has 3 victories over the BCS conferences this year and C-USA has 2. As an MT fan, there are only three possibilities that I actually would want to see happening 1) A BCS invite(duh) 2) The fabled C-USA/Sun Belt shake up making both conference stronger and more regional 3) A Belt power play to attract 3 schools from other conferences. I don't think encouraging more movement up from 1aa is the way to go. C-USA is a dying football conference, at this point Tulsa and UCF are the only two teams I am confident would come out of the Belt with winning records. Anyway, just something to think about. Good luck against Troy, they're for real, and if you do manage to beat Troy have fun with the Belt's whipping boy Memphis in New Orleans.

No offense, but FAU would be stupid to not pursue CUSA affiliation.  If for no other reason, they'd still be bowling regardless of Saturday's outcome in CUSA.  If they lose, in the Sun Belt, they're most likely sitting home.

This year CUSA has 6 bowl tie ins and in has 5 set tie ins through the next 4 years.  Just look at Memphis- they had an average season at best (they're not good) yet they are still going to a bowl game because they got to 6 wins.

Beyond that, CUSA was 4-3 vs. the Sun Belt this year.  Those 3 losses were accounted by 2 to Memphis (like i said, not very good) and 1 to SMU who is absolutely terrible.  However, SMU's only win of the year came vs. North Texas.

The Sun Belt will probably win the NO Bowl this year considering Memphis is just average, but in the past 4 years CUSA is 3-1 vs. Sun Belt in that bowl.  Honestly, I'd love for CUSA to send their #2 team there instead of Mobile because a Sun Belt #1 vs. CUSA #4 or #6 won't favor us well in the future most likely.

So no, CUSA was far from a great league this year but I believe there is still much more going for it than the Sun Belt right now.  But while we're at it, we'll gladly exchange UAB for Troy.
Back to the top

CUSA has teams in much better TV markets than the SBC which makes it a more marketable conference.
Back to the top

Lm77 said

CUSA has teams in much better TV markets than the SBC which makes is a more marketable conference.

with worse teams…yeah, makes alot of sense…NOT…

im not arguing with you LM, i agree totally with your point…but it angers me to think that the allmighty $ gets more precident than TALENT - which is certainly the case with "TV" and "marketability"…which is a crock…we would beat over half the teams in that conference easily…
Back to the top

C-USA versus Sunbelt

But while we're at it, we'll gladly exchange UAB for Troy.

Please post that on the UAB board and watch them go off.
Back to the top

BMarkey said

But while we're at it, we'll gladly exchange UAB for Troy.

Please post that on the UAB board and watch them go off.

I already have.  Even when they field competitive teams they draw hardly any fans.  At the UCF Alumni watch party I attendend to watch the away UAB game, I swear we had more fans in the bar than were in most sections of UAB's stadium.  And I kept hearing that UAB will be a top 25 basketball team, yet they're just 5-3 and almost lost to a 1-2 ULL team.  If anything UCF is much closer to top 25, as our only 2 losses are to #18 Villanova and #20 Kansas State by an average of 5 points.

If Troy were in CUSA that would give us 4 teams in the BCS Top 40.
Back to the top
Control functions: