Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU fans at Troy?

Can someone come to the defense of the fans at the game?  Based on some of the Troy fans we did not represent the school very well today. Is this just whining by the losing team or did we not represent our team well?

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Re: FAU fans at Troy?

FAU fans at Troy?

dusky256fc said

Can someone come to the defense of the fans at the game?   Based on some of the Troy fans we did not represent the school very well today. Is this just whining by the losing team or did we not represent our team well?

This will be a better-asked question tomorrow when the FAU students who were there come back home and can check the board…
Back to the top

i spoke to many of the fans that were there after the game and they said they are loud and proud……but i think they were washed away by wearing all white shirts…….the media def. didnt focus on them

I just got back from welcoming the team back…..and the players jsut look so shocked and happy…..THIS IS AWESOME!
Back to the top

I can come to the Owls' aid, sort of.

The FAU fans were very vocal and apparently a small number were a bit vulgar, but no worse than I've seen at other places and even from a few folks in the Troy student section.

Speaking of which, someone close to me was struck with ice thrown from the area of the student section last night. The ice also hit a female Troy trainer and she reportedly got a pretty good shot. That could have resulted in a tragedy.

So neither side is innocent here.

I have seen larger opponent fans groups, but not many louder than the FAU contingent. Certainly, a visiting fans group has never gathered in the mezzanine between the upper and lower decks of the press box side ("home") and had an impromptu pep rally! This happened before the game started and the group then continued around to the plaza atop the closed end zone and eventually to the FAU seats on the  lower east deck.

The FAU fans were amped up and rightly so. They made lots of noise, but they didn't quiet themselves quickly enough after Omar went down on a hard hit. Whether that was intentional or not is up to interpretation.

The reaction to the hit was huge among the Owl fans an they continued roaring as Omar got up, went to one knee, then was helped off the field.

I'd give the FAU people the benefit of the doubt because they are new to coming in force to another team's "house" business, probably are not as knowledgeable as many other I-A fans and - most importantly - they might not have immediately noticed that Omar was hurt. Omar got up, then went to a knee and stayed in that position for a few seconds. That, plus the confusion as players moved on and off the field, could have led obscured the injury to some FAU fans for a short time.

The cheering of "FAU!" a few seconds later did not bother me because I just saw it as general enthusiastic support for their team, but I can also understand how some Troy fans saw it as celebrating an injury to Omar.

I was told some FAU fans booed the Troy seniors as they were announced and introduced before the game. I did not hear it, but if it happened, that would have been rather tacky.

Omar is the Sunbelt's Tebow and what opponent of Florida has not gone into a game with the Gators not hoping to knock Tebow out? I can understand FAU wanting to hit Omar hard, but I do not think the great majority of Owl fans wished him any harm.

Back to the top

Here we go with this again….we're classless during a road game, ULM was classless here, blah blah blah. It happens every time a home team loses. It's meaningless message board talk from fans after a tough loss. Give it a break already. Booing seniors at senior day? Ok, maybe you shouldn't do that, but if you have a large enough crowd, the small contingent of road fans shouldn't distract anyone. As for the injured player….if he was seriously hurt than I completely agree it is classless, but if you can get their best player out the game as a result of clean hits….that's football. You always have your idiots in every crowd, but in the end it is just noise by disappointed fans. I wasn't there, but I respect Troy and Omar and I think all of the other Owl diehards do as well. I look forward to seeing all of you next year at Lockhart…you can boo all you want and I promise that I won't complain!
Back to the top
Control functions: