Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Sentinel article from today

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/college/fau/sfl-flpfaubowl1205sbdec05,0,1083356.story

Angelos is dreaming if he thinks we'll sell 5k tickets.

FAU making frenzied push to sell New Orleans Bowl tickets
$225,000 in revenue is at stake

By Scott Travis | South Florida Sun-Sentinel
    December 5, 2007

Florida Atlantic University's first bowl appearance is creating a buzz on campus, as well as a frenzied effort to sell thousands of tickets.

The Owls will take on the University of Memphis at the New Orleans Bowl on Dec. 21. And while no one expects the 69,000-seat Louisiana Superdome to sell out, FAU is pushing to sell 5,100 tickets, which would ensure about $225,000 in revenues when other money is factored in.

"The interest in our program is at an all-time high, but it's still going to be a challenge to sell 5,100 tickets," said Craig Angelos, FAU's athletic director. "We don't have a lot of time to waste."

Owl fans can place their orders by calling the FAU ticket office at 1-866-328-6957 or by going online to www.fausports.com. Tickets are $40 each. End zone tickets through Ticketmaster are available for $20, but FAU receives no money for those.

Tickets went on sale Sunday, and as of Tuesday morning, the university had sold about 200, Angelos said. He said another 50 to 75 have indicated they want to take part in a charter flight. The university is offering $1,300 packages that include game tickets, a charter flight and two nights' lodging based on double occupancy, for up to 150 people.

FAU's alumni association is looking at other packages as well.

"There's a lot of excitement. We've had a lot of calls from people who are eager to participate," said Pat Breman, assistant vice president of alumni affairs.

In addition to a possible $225,000 in revenue from ticket sales, the bowl gives FAU up to $150,000 for travel and $200,000 for lodging, Angelos said.

FAU's Foundation, the fundraising arm of the university, is inviting about 200 donors and prospective donors to the game, and will subsidize some costs, Foundation Chairman Les Corley said.

"This is a great donor cultivation event," Corley said. "This is going to be the kind of event that will show them the fruits of their support, and it gives them even stronger incentive to dig deep to help support FAU."

FAU's student government hopes to help pay for up to 114 students to attend the game, said Fort Lauderdale's Jared Torres, a student governor senator who is organizing the trip.

"Student hype around campus is high, and I think students are very interested in going to the game," Torres said.

He said student government is looking at chartering two buses and may provide discounted tickets, but is not paying for lodging.

The New Orleans Bowl has agreements with several area hotels for discounted rates. The Sheraton hotel is the official FAU hotel, offering $95-a-night rates. Other nearby hotels have rates as low as $75 nightly.

"It's a down time for the hotels, and they want to capture as much fan travel as they can," said Billy Ferrante, executive director of the bowl.

There will be block parties and tailgating parties Dec. 20 and 21, leading up to the game.

Ferrante said the area around the Superdome, which includes the French Quarter, suffered minimal damage from Hurricane Katrina.

"Everything that was appealing and attracted tourists pre-Katrina is still here, and in some cases better than before."

Scott Travis can be reached at [email protected] or 561-243-6637.
Back to the top

Re: Sentinel article from today

5K will be a tough sell.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

agree…

i think 2k at this point would be a good draw that far away…

IF it were in state, i could see 5k easy…….
Back to the top

200????? jezz, 5k doubtfull at this point, they should open the doors and let people in...

Peyton
Back to the top

I think we have 2000 to 2500 hardcore fans, add to that another 1000 to 2000 that want to either jump on the bandwagon or just a reason to go to New Orleans I am thinking 4k+ at the game.

I hope I am not being too optimistic.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Considering the alumni is offering a package "deal" of $650 per person… Angelos isn't dreaming, he's crazy!

Like things, love people.
Back to the top

Fledgling said

Considering the alumni is offering a package "deal" of $650 per person… Angelos isn't dreaming, he's crazy!

$650.00 per person? I am reading that as $1,300.00 per person.
Back to the top

Sentinel article from today

The university is offering $1,300 packages that include game tickets, a charter flight and two nights' lodging based on double occupancy, for up to 150 people.

So you need two people, 650 per person

Like things, love people.
Back to the top

Fledgling said

The university is offering $1,300 packages that include game tickets, a charter flight and two nights' lodging based on double occupancy, for up to 150 people.

So you need two people, 650 per person

If that is the case, that is not that too bad of a deal, when you throw in a charter as opposed to a regular flight with a layover.
Back to the top

Peyton77 said

200????? jezz, 5k doubtfull at this point, they should open the doors and let people in…

Completely agree…

BUT, they can't due to NCAA "regulations"…someone has to actually "pay" for the ticket…….

::)
Back to the top
Control functions: