Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

This is why we dont have "early committments"...

Question from Alexander

"Hi Coach!
I know right now we're focused on Troy and a possible bowl bid but I was wondering how recruiting was going. I heard FIU may have locked up as many as 15 commits but I'm not hearing much out of the FAU camp.

I see on Scout.com that for Class of 2008 we have medium interest in two 3-star athletes but no offers? And for 2009 a four-star prospect, Petey Smith?

Just wondering if we'll be moving in on these guys soon. The day we sign a four star athlete is a great day in FAU football history."

Response from Head Coach Howard Schnellenberger

"Florida Atlantic’s policy is not to accept offers from anybody at anytime. It is our policy to thoroughly investigate each prospect and they us. Our policy further states that losing a player in not important when the Florida pool is 350. The important ones are the prospects we select and that they have an extraordinary desire to play for Florida Atlantic. This has always been my rule as a head coach."

Sooo, now every one can rest easily when they look at rivals.com and see all the "other schools committments", and nothing from us…….

Back to the top

Re: This is why we dont have "early committments"...

fauowl09 said

couple of points to make here…

1) schnellenberger NEVER releases recruits commitments early or on a one-by-one basis… didn't do it at miami, didn't do it at louisville, didn't do it at OU… hasn't done it here… i don't know WHY, but he says "we need to make sure we get FAU guys, not just football players… i don't know if that has been a political statement or the truth… whatever the reason, the classes have gotten better and better each year

2) FIU still is reporting numerous signings (a lot of them decent players)… don't forget, THEY have actual cranes on campus and shovels in the ground and bleachers going up… their stadium is going to be done next season ::sigh::… PLUS, their opening game is against USF, and we know they travel and the opener will be sold out ::double sigh::

3) stinson will be back… just an injury this season, that's all… we'll have d-i-edge, pierre, stinson, rose… WOW… :)

as i said in the other thread, lol

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

fauowl09 said

fauowl09 said

couple of points to make here…

1) schnellenberger NEVER releases recruits commitments early or on a one-by-one basis… didn't do it at miami, didn't do it at louisville, didn't do it at OU… hasn't done it here… i don't know WHY, but he says "we need to make sure we get FAU guys, not just football players… i don't know if that has been a political statement or the truth… whatever the reason, the classes have gotten better and better each year

as i said in the other thread, lol

yep…just thought this topic (having been addressed recently by Howard) deserved its own thread…

lots of people get thier feathers "ruffled" and think it is do to a "lack" of committs - NOT the case…
Back to the top

What I don't understand about this is more and more kids are trying to do early enrollment in january. If FAU isn't going to accept commitments then they may miss out on these kids.  Has FAU ever had an early enrollee?

Back to the top

Kids can early committ all they want and change their minds. NCAA rules allow recruiting at certain times of the year and I am sure FAU is in the mix during those times.

Like things, love people.
Back to the top

This is why we dont have "early committments"...

I was referring to Schnellenberger's response to Florida_Owl.  I thought he meant he wouldn't accept commitments from athletes until they sign on signing day but now that I think about it that first sentence just doesn't make much sense at all.  What offers is he talking about?
Back to the top

Seems to me, it has not been a problem so far...
Back to the top

I guess because nothing is official until you sign that letter of intent.  Kids can early committ to anywhere and change their minds, so howard I guess doesn't want to release that information because it's not garaunteed and usually doesn't hold much water.

Like things, love people.
Back to the top

apetbrown said

I thought he meant he wouldn't accept commitments from athletes until they sign on signing day but now that I think about it that first sentence just doesn't make much sense at all.  What offers is he talking about?

i believe that is exactly what he is talking about…he wont give any thing in return until signing day committment wise, but then he will put it in writing…but you know they have to have a pretty good idea who is serious as the paperwork has to be drawn, and he does give a "number" of expected signess to the media the day or so prior…

he's just oldschool - bottom line!
Back to the top

apet…

this has nothing to do with early signings and early enrollments… lestar jean was an early enrollment this season, for example

a wise man once said: "don't question the system if it works"

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top
Control functions: