Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Ooookay

Add topic

According to a new modification on admissions requirements for FTIC (first time in college) students, we're going to be turning away people with

2.6 GPAs or lower

starting Fall 2009.

Man, that's rough.  ::)

The reasoning is that "FTIC students admitted to FAU from Fall 2002 through Fall 2006 who presented GPAs of 2.6 or below, regardless of offsetting standardized test scores, achieved on average less than a 2.0 FAU GPA by the end of their first year."
(per http://www.fau.edu/bot/files/121207_ASA3_Admissions_Criteria_CASA.pdf)

duh  ::)
Back to the top

Re: Ooookay

::crickets::

Like things, love people.
Back to the top

I don't know how you guys feel about it, but I did the 2yr community college AA program before I went to FAU, and I almost think that should be mandatory.  I know it will be for my kids.  The college experience is so overwhelming at first that unless you have a good head on your shoulders, which most people don't, it is very hard to balance everything for the first year or two.  Even at CC, I had one bad semester that I slacked off on, and it took a while to erase that mistake and bring my GPA back.  By the time I got to FAU I think I was much better prepared for college classes than I would have been at first.  Besides, a college education is WAY too expensive to screw up on in one semester.  However, it is good to see that FAU can start being a little picky about selecting new students, it means we are growing.  Just my 2 cents, any thought?

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

agree. If you don't have the grades out of HS there's no way your ready for college. Not everyones brain develops at the same pace, some people need the extra time, nothing wrong with that.
Back to the top

My first semester at FAU, my gpa was .72.  Although I agree with what you guys are saying, failing at something or at least being on the threshold of failing is a life lesson kids at that age could use.

I remember my dad telling me that I didn't need to go to FAU, that college was a priviledge and I decided that failing wasn't acceptible, so I worked my butt off.

Failure is the best thing that can happen to anyone, I firmly believe.

(I finished with over a 3.0 gpa by the way)

Back to the top

Ooookay

This is a huge, fundamental change for FAU. For all its history, FAU was primarily concerned with access. For the first time, with less funds from the state for enrollment growth, FAU can cap enrollment (except for modest growth in the graduate programs) and focus on attracting better (not more) students.

Not everyone can be UF with 45k students that made it their first choice. I'm glad FAU is trying to make itself more selective.
Back to the top

Agreed LM... before you just had to have a pulse, now demand is growing and FAU can honor standards.

Back to the top

It shows that our "little school" is growing up on both athletics and academics.  It is good to see.
Back to the top
Control functions: