Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

south fla question

was wondering how much yall have heard about the marlins moving to memphis.  that would make us the smallest major league market, but there are so many baseball fans in the area the attendance shouldnt be a problem.  tv might slow them down a bit, but with so little interest in the marlins down there i cant imagine the tv numbers were all that great either.
Back to the top

Re: south fla question

I haven't heard rumors about a move to Memphis but I think a move is inevitable since the push for a new stadium is essentially dead.  Very few people want to sit outside at a baseball game when it is 100 degrees out, especially when the product on the field is ridiculous.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

I have followed the Marlins stadium situation pretty closely and to be honest, I've never heard Memphis mentioned at all.  Early on you heard Las Vegas, Portland, and San Antonio.  The relocation talk ended a year or two ago and the focus now is getting something done here.  The bottom line is that MLB wants a team in South Florida.  That's not to say you won't hear talk about moving again if the Orange Bowl plans aren't finalized soon, but that will likely just be more posturing.  Baseball needs to make this market work.  It's hard to imagine MLB prefering a team in a market like Memphis than having a team in a larger market like South Florida with its large latino fan base(although they have yet to supprt the team as once projected) and it's proximity to the Carribean and S. America.  All of that is important to baseball, especially since they are trying to grow the World Baseball Classic and expand further internationally.  My sense is that they will force the current ownership(Loria) out before they allow the team to move.  Anyway…back to Owls talk…
Back to the top

south fla question

Ther have also been rumors of Orlando Area
Back to the top

Talon said

Ther have also been rumors of Orlando Area

That doesn't make much sense with the Tampa Rays struggling just a little over 1hr away.
Back to the top

tigerkeep said

was wondering how much yall have heard about the marlins moving to memphis.  that would make us the smallest major league market, but there are so many baseball fans in the area the attendance shouldnt be a problem.  tv might slow them down a bit, but with so little interest in the marlins down there i cant imagine the tv numbers were all that great either.

Good riddance in my book…  The ownership has done everything possible to kill off the fan base around here anyway.
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

I have followed the Marlins stadium situation pretty closely and to be honest, I've never heard Memphis mentioned at all.  Early on you heard Las Vegas, Portland, and San Antonio.  The relocation talk ended a year or two ago and the focus now is getting something done here.  The bottom line is that MLB wants a team in South Florida.  That's not to say you won't hear talk about moving again if the Orange Bowl plans aren't finalized soon, but that will likely just be more posturing.  Baseball needs to make this market work.  It's hard to imagine MLB prefering a team in a market like Memphis than having a team in a larger market like South Florida with its large latino fan base(although they have yet to supprt the team as once projected) and it's proximity to the Carribean and S. America.  All of that is important to baseball, especially since they are trying to grow the World Baseball Classic and expand further internationally.  My sense is that they will force the current ownership(Loria) out before they allow the team to move.  Anyway…back to Owls talk…

Some thoughts,

If you place a stadium in Broward (and I'm not talking about Miramar), say Pompano or Sunrise for example, The fan base would grow. I for one will not travel all the way to central Miami for a Marlins game. I make the Dolphin stadium trip around 3 times a year from Palm Beach, and that is only because of the ease of the Turnpike. Place it smack in the middle of of the South Florida market (Dade, Browrad, Palm Beach), and the fan base would grow.

Second, As a designer, I feel that the venue is also important. Imagine an easy to get to stadium/field, with an old time baseball feel to the place. For example, a Boardwalk type atmosphere with other things to do, where the game is just part of the day. You go there to spend an afternoon, and oh yeah, there's a game on. This is were these planning people just don't get it…it's about the experience, just not the team. (FAU could do something like this for our Stadium too - a theme)

Now, you mentioned  "International", take a look at the Sawgrass Mall. Buses filled with tourists from Miami flock to this place, and where is it located? Again…as lame as it is in that place, the experience.

And finally, we all call SoFla fans "fairweathered" fans, but the truth is we are all consumers, including the Latinos…put a decent product on the field, and people will come, yet again…Just be careful where you locate it, and what it looks like.
Back to the top

tigerkeep said

Take'em!

Build Tradition
Tell someone "GO OWLS!"
Back to the top

tigerkeep said

why is this in the football forum??
Back to the top
Control functions: