Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Future of Sun Belt

I know that we've often discussed leaving the Sun Belt.  But I wanted to see what everyone thought about the room for growth of the Sun Belt.  Not talking bout teams, I"m talking about strength.

I already think Troy has a good reputation aroudn the nation.  I think FAU will quickly grow.  As for others, I don't think ULM or MTSU are so far behind in terms of talent.

Then we all knwo FIU is in a bad situation at moment but we also know there's a ton of talent down in FLA and that htey have nowhere to go but up.  I'm wondering if it's possible for the Sun Belt to become a much better conference rather than FAU leaving the conference.

Obviously it won't be the SEC but why can't it be as good as the WAC, C-USA, MAC, or MWC?
Back to the top

Re: Future of Sun Belt

Future of Sun Belt

Yes, there is room for lots of growth - with some new blood from CUSA and maybe elsewhere, and the immediate replacement of the incompetent, excuse-ridden SunBelt Conference leadership.
Back to the top

BMarkey said

with some new blood from CUSA and maybe elsewhere

??
Back to the top

It was mentioned a couple of years ago about the SBC becoming a stronger conference. Anything is possible, think about where the SEC was 60 years ago out of there 75 years.
Back to the top

apetbrown said

I know that we've often discussed leaving the Sun Belt.  But I wanted to see what everyone thought about the room for growth of the Sun Belt.  Not talking bout teams, I"m talking about strength.

I already think Troy has a good reputation aroudn the nation.  I think FAU will quickly grow.  As for others, I don't think ULM or MTSU are so far behind in terms of talent.

Then we all knwo FIU is in a bad situation at moment but we also know there's a ton of talent down in FLA and that htey have nowhere to go but up.  I'm wondering if it's possible for the Sun Belt to become a much better conference rather than FAU leaving the conference.

Obviously it won't be the SEC but why can't it be as good as the WAC, C-USA, MAC, or MWC?

It could definitely be as good as those conferences. Years down the line, if the teams improve at a steady pace, it could be as good as the ACC of Big Ten.

Ideally, what the SBC needs to do:

There need to be more bowl tie-ins.
There need to be more coveted trophies.
The teams need to have overall winning records.
The teams need to have admirable OOC wins over ranked opponents.
The teams themselves should be in (at least) the Top 50.
The coaches need to be able to sign 3-5 star recruits.
The crowds need to grow to have averages of 30k fans.
Traditions need to be formed and kept… but as we all know, these things can't be forced.
A lot of money needs to be spent on advertising the Sun Belt.
etc
Back to the top

If and when the shake-up starts, it will be CUSA or the 'Belt that is gutted. If the 'Belt can bring in leadership (not the excuse-ridden bunch running the show now), several more bowl tie-ins, a real TV package (not that fake network ESPN+ thing), a long-promised satellite radio network and the perks other conferences have, and get a few of the better teams from CUSA and the WAC (La. Tech?), it stands a chance. Otherwise, it will be swallowed up by CUSA or others, or its members will be left to twist in the wind.

Back to the top

Owlcountry is dead on as to what needs to happen and I agree that down the line it will. Basketball is in the mix already, football is making good strides. Another point well taken is Markey's comment, I agree if it doesn't happen a new conference is a certain. For Troy not to have an at large bid this year was sloppy managment on the part of the SBC.
Back to the top

Markey i think you hit it on the head.  While we know what we need to have happen in the SBC.  If a shake up does happen, then i believe taht the belt will stay a very small league and at most a good transistion league.  I dont see any strong traditions being forged at schools that have losing records……
Back to the top

Well, everyone has to remember that although FAU has a strong first-half, they are a totally different team in the second-half. I've been to many games this season and heard it from the Coach himself, we cannot afford to give up points and allow the other team to come from behind, and we certainly cannot afford to get cocky. Coach last Tuesday was still talking about the Homecoming game (which we lost in triple overtime). He had said that we did not lose the game, but we ran out of overtime periods to play. I disagree with his statement: I had end zone seats and when the very last play happened, no one was really covering the guy who had the ball. The other team broke 2 tackles to get to a hugh gap on the far side of the endzone with nobody there to stop him. End of game, end of story. Our defense needs to step up in those situations and literally gave the game to the other team. Coach is well aware of the shortcomings and is working hard to make sure that does not happen during the Bowl Game (or any other game).

As good and as fortunate as our team has been, we're not among the higher caliber teams at this point in our short history. We'll get there 'cause we have the heart and drive to make it work. I cannot wait until FAU can stomp all over the Gators in the same conference. We can compete and it's only a matter of time when we become unstoppable!!! I think that we will make history again, outgrow the Sun Belt Conference, and get into a major title conference (more airtime, larger fanbase).
Back to the top

2009, i think we are all drinking the "cool aid" but urs is suppppperrrrrrr strrrrrong

for us to end up in the sec and beating the gators badly……….well i dont think i will be around to see that…..if i am i will be very old and my grandkids maybe attending FAU at that time.

I just want to be in CUSA or Big East……SEC would be too much tooo soon
Back to the top
Control functions: