Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Countdown to NO

A little over a week to go and the teams are putting in the game plans. You guys will enjoy the atmosphere even if the fan numbers will be down.

You have the scoop on us I think. We will score. We will move the ball. We run a ball control passing game but more and more we have gone down field with success as the season wore on. A poor running game began to come around the last 5-6 games of the season. Both Doss and Pitts were hurt early and are now healthy.

The D is not very good but does seem to make big plays. The D front can play. LB is weak and Dbacks are suspect. That should play into your O.

Our kicking game has been a crap shoot all season. Reagan has made a living banking field goals in off the uprights. We hold our breath on every kick. Our return game is pretty good so you guys better cover well.

We really started slow. Some of it was injuries. At one point we had 27 guys on the sideline in jerseys only. We are getting people healthy during the layoff although we lost a couple of key guys in the last game of the year.

You have a gem for a coach. He has a very storied history and a knack for building programs. It looks like he has you heading in the right direction.

I think it will be high scoring game but I think we win it on experience and overall talent. We have more and are deeper. That wont last beause you will continue to get those second tier players out of Florida and it will pay dividends.

Your schedule was more difficult than ours which should help you.

Good luck and enjoy the ride. You only get one  First Bowl Game. Win our lose you should have fun. 
Back to the top

Re: Countdown to NO

Tigerx3 said

A little over a week to go and the teams are putting in the game plans. You guys will enjoy the atmosphere even if the fan numbers will be down.

You have the scoop on us I think. We will score. We will move the ball. We run a ball control passing game but more and more we have gone down field with success as the season wore on. A poor running game began to come around the last 5-6 games of the season. Both Doss and Pitts were hurt early and are now healthy.

The D is not very good but does seem to make big plays. The D front can play. LB is weak and Dbacks are suspect. That should play into your O.

Our kicking game has been a crap shoot all season. Reagan has made a living banking field goals in off the uprights. We hold our breath on every kick. Our return game is pretty good so you guys better cover well.

We really started slow. Some of it was injuries. At one point we had 27 guys on the sideline in jerseys only. We are getting people healthy during the layoff although we lost a couple of key guys in the last game of the year.

You have a gem for a coach. He has a very storied history and a knack for building programs. It looks like he has you heading in the right direction.

I think it will be high scoring game but I think we win it on experience and overall talent. We have more and are deeper. That wont last beause you will continue to get those second tier players out of Florida and it will pay dividends.

Your schedule was more difficult than ours which should help you.

Good luck and enjoy the ride. You only get one  First Bowl Game. Win our lose you should have fun.

Thanks for the post. I think our 2 teams are pretty similar in nature.

Im a LIL concerned about the height of your WR. We have a talented set of defenders but that height thing will be tough. HS already has em working on countering that by practicing against our tallest guys.

I have a feeling we may open up the run. It started to click at troy, and with everyone concentrating on our passing game that might be wide open.

I think well pull it off in a offensive shootout.

GO OWLS.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Singleton has really caused people problems this year. At 6'9" he is wicked on the fade route and has numerous jump balls work in his favor. We have several 6'3" plus WR but we lost a good one in Jones to a shoulder injury in the last game.

We rarely use our TE other than as a blocker but Russell is a big kid with good hands also.

I suspect Coach Schnel will stay with what what worked during the season. I don't think he wants a grind it out kind of game.
Back to the top

Countdown to NO

I could careless how tall their receivers are...You still need a QB that could throw the ball and a receiver that has hands to catch the ball. Lets not forget that their conference champs got SMOKED by USF. A team that barely beat us.
Back to the top

As much as we can talk about what was done during the regular season and make insights based on common opponents or six degrees of separation, I think all of that goes out the window when it comes time to kickoff in New Orleans. Bowl games are different animals. Teams have time off to get healthy, improve on the little things, get a break from the grind of the season, and in some cases get distracted. All of the events surrounding the bowl also make it a very atypical experience. Some teams come out completely flat in bowls and others relish the opportunity to be in the national spotlight. The only thing that is predictable is the unpredictability of the game.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

As much as we can talk about what was done during the regular season and make insights based on common opponents or six degrees of separation, I think all of that goes out the window when it comes time to kickoff in New Orleans.GO OWLS!!!

I agree….. we got KILLED by Oklahoma State, and then Troy DESTROYED Oklahoma State, so going by common opponents that game at Troy should have been over in the 1st quarter and we shouldn't be in New Orleans.  ::) ;) I hate the common opponent comparison's.
Back to the top

mh2os said

owlfan1 said

As much as we can talk about what was done during the regular season and make insights based on common opponents or six degrees of separation, I think all of that goes out the window when it comes time to kickoff in New Orleans.GO OWLS!!!

I agree….. we got KILLED by Oklahoma State, and then Troy DESTROYED Oklahoma State, so going by common opponents that game at Troy should have been over in the 1st quarter and we shouldn't be in New Orleans.  ::) ;) I hate the common opponent comparison's.

Technically you are correct. However, I personally believe 90% of the game is based on confidence. If our guys come out believing that we are a much more superior team, then we will be.
Back to the top
Control functions: