Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU budgets $450000 for NO

This is one of the items from today's BOT meeting:

http://www.fau.edu/bot/files/121207_AFA1_BOT_Req_Approval_of_Increase_to_2007-08_Athletics_Budget.pdf

The athletic department plans to see (and spend) an additional $450000 of revenue related to the NO bowl. $350000 will be from the payout and $100000 from ticket sales (which is 2500 tickets @ $40 each).
Back to the top

Re: FAU budgets $450000 for NO

Lm77 said

This is one of the items from today's BOT meeting:

http://www.fau.edu/bot/files/121207_AFA1_BOT_Req_Approval_of_Increase_to_2007-08_Athletics_Budget.pdf

The athletic department plans to see (and spend) an additional $450000 of revenue related to the NO bowl. $350000 will be from the payout and $100000 from ticket sales (which is 2500 tickets @ $40 each).

So does this mean the administarion is paying for 2500 tickets?

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

FAU budgets $450000 for NO

It amazes me that they expect to spend $450,000 on the bowl game. If we break that down we are talking about $4000 per player. Of course we also have to include the training staff, coaches, band, and everyone else who will be going as part of the university. If we calculate 200 people going that is still more than $2000 per person. That really seems like a ridiculous amount of money. Any thoughts??

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

It amazes me that they expect to spend $450,000 on the bowl game. If we break that down we are talking about $4000 per player. Of course we also have to include the training staff, coaches, band, and everyone else who will be going as part of the university. If we calculate 200 people going that is still more than $2000 per person. That really seems like a ridiculous amount of money. Any thoughts??

GO OWLS!!!

My thoughts are…that is great.  Very happy to see the University spending money.  These kids were recruited with the idea of a bowl in mind.  They deserve it and to be treated to a top notch event.  That is great for recruiting!  When a recruit visits, the players can tell them all about it.  That's how it works.  You do not want to save money on this opportunity.
Back to the top

fauowl said

owlfan1 said

GO OWLS!!!

My thoughts are…that is great.  Very happy to see the University spending money.  These kids were recruited with the idea of a bowl in mind.  They deserve it and to be treated to a top notch event.  That is great for recruiting!  When a recruit visits, the players can tell them all about it.  That's how it works.  You do not want to save money on this opportunity.

I agree that the team should be treated to a great experience. I am just surprised at how much the total bill is going to be. I am sure that other programs spend far more when their teams go to bowls. I guess I am just a bit surprised that FAU is going to spend it all as opposed to trying to take some money home at the end of the trip.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Keep in mind that the ticket sales are anticipated… we probably won't sell 2500 tickets (hopefully we'll come close).

As for expenses, FAU is sending several hundred people to NO (team, coaches, administrators, band, cheerleaders, dance team, etc.). I don't know how long the team stays there, but everyone else is probably going for at least 2 nights (in the Sheraton). The expenses include travel (plane or charter bus are both expensive), hotel, food, promotion, etc. It adds up quickly…
Back to the top

Its amazing how hard it was to get the BoT to embrace athletics at FAU particularly the football team. All of a sudden the BoT are big Owl fans.  Hopefully after the FAU victory, they will all come home and push to get the stadium finshed sooner.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Couldn't agree ore Illi. this may be the boost or shot in the arm needed to open up some eye's to realize this is not a passing whim.
Back to the top

It takes money to make money…Besides if we can give Davenport 4 to 5 hundred grand, then spending the same amount on 200 + kids that earned it is a steal.
Back to the top

Lm77 said

Keep in mind that the ticket sales are anticipated… we probably won't sell 2500 tickets (hopefully we'll come close).

Memphis has already sold 2000 tickets

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2007/dec/12/tiger-fans-buy-2000-bowl-tickets/

"When it's all said and done, I think we'll sell another 1,000," Memphis AD, R.C. Johnson, said.
Back to the top
Control functions: