Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU vs UM probably a 'no go' for 2009

Found this in the Miami Herald:

UM offered to play FAU in football in 2009 at Dolphin Stadium, but FAU athletic director Craig Angelos said it probably wouldn't happen because FAU needs a big guarantee, similar to the $900,000 it will get from Texas to play there next season. Angelos said 2010 is a possibility, but UM rejected FAU's request for a home-and-home series

see: http://www.miamiherald.com/606/story/341541.html

Wonder why they won't do a home-and-home with us. They signed to do one with UCF… I think it's a 2 for 1 deal with them, though.
Back to the top

Re: FAU vs UM probably a 'no go' for 2009

According to coach, our scheduling philosophy has changed and future seasons will see less money games. It doesn't make much sense to play UM in a one-off game when we could play someone else for a  bigger payout. However, if a home game against UM were included it would be a different story.
Back to the top

Lm77 said

According to coach, our scheduling philosophy has changed and future seasons will see less money games. It doesn't make much sense to play UM in a one-off game when we could play someone else for a  bigger payout. However, if a home game against UM were included it would be a different story.

I think FAU should jump at the chance to play UM. In 2009 Rusty will be a senior and FAU should have a very solid team. FAU would have a real shot at shocking Miami and taking another massive move forward. I think the timing is perfect. Sometimes the opportunity is worth more than the money.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

I agree that we should play Miami even if we don't get a big pay day.  We will still get a good amount of money, who cares if we don't get as much as other programs the benefits still out way the negatives.  For one it will gives us the exposure in the market where we need it most.  Also We will have a great team by then and will put on a great show. Finally it would only help for recruiting.
Back to the top

Easy now… Miami will be better as well.  Saying we'd beat them 2 years from now is ridiculous.

Like things, love people.
Back to the top

I dont understand the hold up being not having a 1 and 1.  We are playing the game in our old HOME stadium.  The big deal here is not the money but the fan support.  This game will sell out and win us new fans.  We will be a veteran team at that point and will give UM more than they want to handle.  The USF game is the most fun I have ever had at a FAU sporting event because of the crowd, we need more game enviornments of that type and I think that is what we would get out of playing that game at Pro Player.  The publicity that game will bring (especially with a win) would be worth more than $900,000…it would be priceless.  Angelos is wrong on this one.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

I usually agree with Craig Angelos. But on this one, I agree with Walty12. A game against Miami at Dolphins Stadium sounds great, and it requires no expensive travel, etc. The marketing value, with plenty of coverage in the Herald, Sun-Sentinel and Post, as well as television, would reach the precise targets that FAU needs to reach to sell home-game tickets to other games. Plenty of national attention, as well, would come from such a game. That would mean FAU has eight conference games (Western Kentucky is in), plus Nebraska, Miami, UAB and a fourth OOC to be named.
Back to the top

Lm77 said

Understandable but this one is not about the money and it never was… it's about having a legitimate chance to beat one of the Big Three. That's good press, good for rankings, good for recruting, good for fans, good for donors.

Students want this game pretty badly. But the business side of this is killing it.
Back to the top

I couldn't agree more Lm77…this game has been anticipated for a long time.  It will benefit our program in all the ways that you pointed out and give us a chance to start a rivalry and for Howard to play the team he built before he retires.  There are so many people that cheer for both UM and FAU, I think if you can start playing them vs. each other it will end all of that.  FAU grads and students should be rooting for FAU now…if there is anything I hate about UM it is that.  Man, I cannot believe he is turning down that game.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

FAU vs UM probably a 'no go' for 2009

2009 we won't be in the big east, by then, so i am in the minority… i don't want that game yet

until we have BCS caliber recruits playing for us… no way

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top
Control functions: