Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Rusty Smith article - 2nd best QB in state

Rusty Smith article - 2nd best QB in state

Found this on sun-sentinel.com. It's a column by Michael Cunningham..

"The question was meant as a compliment for Rusty Smith. Not sure that's how Florida Atlantic's quarterback took it, though. Did Smith think he was the second-best college quarterback in the state?
"I am the best quarterback in the state," Smith said, smiling a bit

Full article:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/college/fau/sfl-flspmikec17sbdec17,0,2042286.column

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

Re: Rusty Smith article - 2nd best QB in state

You have to love Rusty's confidence.  I would say he is the best passing QB in the state, Tebow would be the top dual-threat in the state.
Back to the top

Nice article, Good Press

Reading the comments appears several of the USF fans are a little outraged about Grothe not being mentioned as #2.

Both Rusty and him are good QB's but I think Rusty might have the edge in ability.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

owlfamily said

Nice article, Good Press

Reading the comments appears several of the USF fans are a little outraged about Grothe not being mentioned as #2.

Well everyone knew the USF people would get a whiff of this and throw a fit.

I think it's an excellent article. I've never heard of Rusty thinking himself the best QB in the state but that only bodes well for us. I have high hopes for him and VanCamp, as I've stated before, and I hope they bring us even more respectable QWs in the future since our Minnesota win apparently has lost its luster and the Hawaii win was too long ago for people to appreciate. We need a good solid win to put any critics to rest and truly "come onto the scene."
Back to the top

owlfamily said

Nice article, Good Press

Both Rusty and him are good QB's but I think Rusty might have the edge in ability.

I'm sure the USF fans think its a joke and Grothe is clearly better. Maybe we are biased but I'd take Rusty over Grothe any day. If we know what we know about them now and we could sign Grothe instead of Rusty I'd still take Rusty. Grothe is good because he can beat you with his feet like Tebow but he doesn't have the arm strength like Rusty has. Are they both Sophomores?

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Check out the comment page on the article there is a lot of gripe about it.
Back to the top

boozie132 said

Check out the comment page on the article there is a lot of gripe about it.

Some of these USF fans really have NO IDEA, there only defense is "We play in the Big East" and "You play in the Sun Belt" really? I wasn't sure what conference these two teams were in. Idiots!

That's the dumbest argument I have ever heard. Colt Brennan plays in the WAC and he was a finalist for the Heisman but since he's not in a BCS conference does that mean Grothe is better then him too because he is in the Big Bad Big East? Please! Rusty won USA today player of the week, I don't recall Grothe's name ever being mentioned for that award. Grothe isn't bad but he's not as good as Rusty and we all know that.

If not for the missed FG's by Warley we would have beaten them and Rusty had a better day in the head to head match up. Argument solved, Rusty in a land slide!

Back to the top

I would like to think that Rusty is not as cocky as this writer makes him seem!

Build Tradition
Tell someone "GO OWLS!"
Back to the top

BocaCoop said

I would like to think that Rusty is not as cocky as this writer makes him seem!

I doubt it, I don't know him personally. I've never had more then just a handshake with the kid but he doesn't seem the least bit cocky. He seems kinda shy if anything, more of a laid back type of kid

Back to the top

Jab979 said

I'm sure the USF fans think its a joke and Grothe is clearly better.

They think we're 6-6 in a No Name Conference. Find out for yourself what they think… here's the thread about it on the USF Messageboard:

TheBullsPen.com

Someone sided with the statistics and posted this:

NAME          CMP ATT YDS CMP% YDS/A TD INT RAT
Matt Grothe  214 357 2473 59.9  6.9    13 12 123.4
Rusty Smith  256 447 3352 57.3  7.5    27  8 136.6
Back to the top
Control functions: