Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

EVERYONE SHARE!!....how do u feel about how far we have come..SO FAST!

Reflecting back to my freshman yr in 2001, it is hard to believe that in July when i was standing in Coach's office wondering if i could walk on to this new, young, (small) program….that 7 yrs later I'd be living in Chicago, living in the real world.. preparing to watch my Owls in a bowl game tonight on national tv. Its an unbelievable feeling! From PP Stadium to Lockhart…i was at every game…unfortunately not as a player, because of injury and what not but as a FAN…and it makes me smile to see each and every one of us have always believed… I'll admit..sitting in the stands against Slippery Rock as the game went on…i was wondering… "is this just a football program in paradise??" Well it is clear to me that 7 yrs later..we are not just a program in a beautiful area…we are'nt that "small program"…we are legitimate contenders…and though we have a LONG way to go before we are BCS bound…I am SOOOOO proud of everyone who has believed in this program because we all deserve this opportunity that we have tonight!!

Go OWLS…  A FAN;  Class of 2005
Back to the top

Re: EVERYONE SHARE!!....how do u feel about how far we have come..SO FAST!

I remember working for the UP, being the first sports editor they ever had and it was my job to cover the upcoming football team.

I talked to Howard numerous times, and each time he talked about what the future held for FAU and how fast we could advance.

I thought he was crazy and had to catch myself from rolling my eyes while interviewing him.

I know now that he isn't one of the best coaches in NCAA history by accident or by being crazy, but by being smarter than the rest of the world who said there was no way this could happen.

Like things, love people.
Back to the top

I remember walking over to the groundbreaking of the Oxley Center with a few friends and it just seems so long ago, the bon fire when we thought we were playing Cornell, the blimp up above that said FAU Football, Football in Paradise. Before football all the homecoming was for Basketball and it's just not the same. You can't have homecoming and go to a basketball game.

That season after we lost all of our seniors and we won like 3 games or something I thought for sure that was it, we'll never be anything special and no one will show up to any games. Howard as usual proved not only me wrong but a lot of people.

Fledgling and I have been season ticket holders now for 2 seasons and plan on being them for many more. Tonight is probably the proudest moment I have ever had being an FAU fan.

We have arrived on the scene and it's only going to get better from here! LET'S GO OWLS!!!

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

EVERYONE SHARE!!....how do u feel about how far we have come..SO FAST!

I remember transferring to FAU in 2000 and hearing "we will have a football team next year" over and over.  I can say that I honestly did not believe any of it, but look at us now.  I missed every game the first year (because my buddy Chad was my supervisor at work, and he took off every Sat. to go to the games, that bastard!), but starting in 02, I went to every home game that I could.  One of my favorite moments was at the Colgate playoff game, where a bunch of us bought tubes of Colgate toothpaste and hung them from our bumpers, dragging them through the parking lot. And then smashing them he he.  And I think it was 02-03 that we made our FAU football Helmet replicas out of Beer Balls, and wore them to every game.  We had some good times, and it all culminates tonight.  I never really had too much "alumni" spirit, but this year has changed that.  I already donated a bowl ticket, and I will be buying a brick as soon as I can.  I will most likely join the Owl Club this year also.  For now, GO OWLS! 8 hrs and 15mins. till Kickoff! 

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

I personally remember back in 1992 saying to people..."All FAU needs is a football team. If we could get that, then it would put our school on the map" Here we are 15 years later and I am happier then a pig in sh_t. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that FAU could actually land the likes of a Howard S. The guy is a football god and not only did we get him, but we got him right out of the gates. The first time that I heard Howard was going to be brought in to run the program, I knew we were going to be a success.
Back to the top

crazy
Back to the top

Incredible.  :)
Back to the top

It is just awesome.  I was a student at UofL when Howard built our program.  If you don't think about latitude, FAU and UofL are kind of similar.  UofL used to be primarily a commuter school and even though we had football it was terrible.  1-AA teams would routinely crush us, but that came to an abrupt halt during Howard's second season.  Like you guys, we owe our football success to Howard.

8 minutes to go, 44 - 27, Owls are going to do it.  Howard is now 5-0 in bowl games.  ;D
Back to the top

I remember graduating in 1987 and then President Cantonese said "One day we will have a football team here at FAU. And we will play big games against big teams and we will get our butts kicked.  But one day we will win and and then we will keep winning!"  I think the day is here!

Go Owls!!!
Back to the top
Control functions: