Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

New Orleans Bowl Thoughts

FAU just beat the ever living $%^*$ out of Memphis - even after giving up an 8-minute drive for a score to begin the second half. When FAU knocked out the the starting Memphis QB, it was over.

Troy would have destroyed that team as well.

My daughter called a few times and said Memphis fans outnumbered FAU fans but not by a large amount and that many more FAU fans showed up than were anticipated. ESPN did a good job of showing the crowd tightly and I saw people in the upper deck and end zones this time. The noise seemed loud enough.

However, ESPN is absolutely the pits when it comes to fairness or competency in color shots. Never once was the FAU band shown. The Memphis band was shown a few times. The Memphis fans, cheerleaders and dancers were shown most of the time, I suppose, because most of the cameras were pointed that direction.

Not one second of the pre-game was shown. Not one second of the halftime shows were shown, but we were forced to sit through repeated garbage about Barry Bonds in court and games that aren't going to be played for a WEEK!

Would it have killed ESPN to show one song from each band (as Fox does, albeit it terribly, with directional microphones)? Maybe, a few pans of the band playing, even as the game was being won. How many times was it necessary to show a player riding a stationary bike or saying "Hi" his to mom?

Can the producers really be that unimaginative?

I heard Howard called "Schnellenbecker" a few times. Wouldn't you think a bowl TV crew would do some homework?

And they had to state how all the FAU fans came from "Boca Raton", as they did when they assumed all the Troy fans came from Troy last year. Can they figure out that the fans come mostly from others places? Do all the USC fans come from Pasadena?

I was waiting for some talking heads - anyone - to mention how Troy - at 8-4 and left home, while some pieces of crap made bowls - was screwed this year. Not a mention, even when mention was made of how poor Georgia didn't get the title game, or how Illinois might not have deserved the Rose Bowl.

I never saw Wright Waters on TV. Do you think he found time in his busy bowl-lobbying schedule to make it to the game?

Then again, ESPN did not show one single post-game scene, and said goodbye long before the entire FAU team celebrated on the stage. Why the TV announcers' rush? They had to cut into some idiotic Madden video game football show featuring football-playing gamers.

Pathetic but expected by ESPN.

Interestingly, the weather in New Orleans was almost exactly this year as it was last year - with storm warnings and mostly light rain and fog. My daughter said a mist hung over the town all today. Most of the people appeared to miss the Fulton Street Party again this year. That needs to be moved to the French Quarter.

Most of the FAU fans missed the tailgate party and battle of the bands outside the Super Dome because their buses didn't leave the hotels in time. First-time learning mistakes, I guess. Also, one of more of the fans charter planes was hours late, apparently dues to weather and missed most of yesterday's events.

FAU has received more press down here (even south, in Miami) than I have ever seen. I guess it helps that FIU and Miami, and the Dolphins, Heat, Panthers and Marlins, are bad. Local TV stations even have reporters live in New Orleans for a few days. Of course, that sports guy from Channel 5 has to be the most unpolished anchor/reporter I have ever seen on professional TV. he manages at least one word in every sentence and his ledes are idiotic or trite, or both. His focus last night was on how Memphis' band was larger and then attempted to get Howard to comment on the band! The entire time, Channel 5 was showing the Memphis band. The only face time the FAU band got was in a close-up of some instruments that did not even show the players' faces!

Channel 5 should be ashamed, but at leats it showed up.

FAU's success helps the SunBelt, as much as Troy's screwing (by the conference, NCAA, bowls and Tony Franklin) still hurts. The SunBelt has now given notice to CUSA that it had better send a competitive team to meet our league title holder, or go home embarrassed.

I can see Troy and FAU going to the wire again in '08.

Re: New Orleans Bowl Thoughts

BMarkey said

FAU just beat the ever living $%^*$ out of Memphis

This is true. I was hoping for one more touchdown but hey, at least Clayton didn't fumble.

BMarkey said

My daughter called a few times and said Memphis fans outnumbered FAU fans but not by a large amount and that many more FAU fans showed up than were anticipated.

I read somewhere that is was 3000 FAU fans.
Back to the top

I thought that they showed the FAU fans about as much as the Memphis fans.  I kept kringing every time they said Boca Ra-tawn instead of Ra-tone…  But being from New Orleans ir bugs me more to hear New Or-LEANS….LOL
Back to the top

New Orleans Bowl Thoughts

I posted something about the pronunciation of "Raton" on the Troy board.

FAU fans were shown some toward the end. But not to show the band once time? Not once?
Back to the top

I was just watching the replay and had to give my thumbs up on that "New OWL-eans" sign.

Great!
Back to the top
Control functions: