Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Fan guide and traditions

Add topic

I would like to set up a place and time so that we can get a group of individuals that are fanatics of FAU football and develop a fan guide.  This Fan guide will be the one that states what COLOR to wear at football games, what cheer to do before kickoff, little traditions of what we should do when the owls scores a touchdown, when we get a first down, etc.  This plan needs to be developed ASAP.  I've been at FAU since 2001 and have never missed a home game I Love FAU FOOTBALL!  I usually stay under the radar when in comes to selecteing cheers and stuff like that, but we need a plan because students WILL START TO GET INVOLVED in the 2008 season and we need a plan to pass along to our students.  I respect coach and what he says, but we have worn RED since 2001 and there was a mix of colors at the NO BOWL, we should of all worn red it would of looked nicer.  If we can get some help from people on this forum to develop a collective meeting of the minds and create this fan guide professionally, I think it would help out our students a lot.  Please let me know if anyone is interested is participating in this committee so that I can reserve a room on campus and get started with a plan for OUR STUDENT BODY.

Jose
Back to the top

Re: FAN GUIDE AND TRADITIONS

you know im in.

It's Owl Time!
Back to the top

OWLUMNI said

I would like to set up a place and time so that we can get a group of individuals that are fanatics of FAU football and develop a fan guide.  This Fan guide will be the one that states what COLOR to wear at football games, what cheer to do before kickoff, little traditions of what we should do when the owls scores a touchdown, when we get a first down, etc.  This plan needs to be developed ASAP.  I've been at FAU since 2001 and have never missed a home game I Love FAU FOOTBALL!  I usually stay under the radar when in comes to selecteing cheers and stuff like that, but we need a plan because students WILL START TO GET INVOLVED in the 2008 season and we need a plan to pass along to our students.  I respect coach and what he says, but we have worn RED since 2001 and there was a mix of colors at the NO BOWL, we should of all worn red it would of looked nicer.  If we can get some help from people on this forum to develop a collective meeting of the minds and create this fan guide professionally, I think it would help out our students a lot.  Please let me know if anyone is interested is participating in this committee so that I can reserve a room on campus and get started with a plan for OUR STUDENT BODY.

Jose

Respect to what you're doing.

Smitty and the prOWLers spent many, many, many Orientation sessions teaching people about our teams, our colors, how not to be a fowl owl, went through the fight song, gave out posters… incoming freshmen at least had some idea. Some sessions went better than others. However, I am certain we won over some people.

Let me know if you need some help.
Back to the top

We can and should use this board to do that. I agree. Lets get this IN PLACE well before season. In fact it should be READY to go for the SPRING game. And then perhaps the RA's can hand it out to students so they know.

l Lead off:

1.) You GO to the FOOTBALL game on Saturdays or WHENEVER its played, Unless your working or supporting yourself. This point REALLY needs to be driven home to incoming students and ANYONE who interacts with them.

2) You wear BLUE to Football games. This in my mind needs to be a NON-NEGOTIABLE from this point forward. As much praise, love, and slobbering on Howard thats been going on this week (deservedly so), you would think that the LEAST we can do as fans is wear the color he wants at Football games. Coach wants blue, the University wants blue. We wear BLUE for football. It has been written, so let it be DONE.

3) BE in the stadium 15 minutes BEFORE the game. Seriously you know how much it sucks to have the team run on to the field to be greeted by a few hundred? I like to tailgate as much as the next person but MAN we need every owl fan In the stadium to BOO the other team when they run on and Cheer like hell when our team runs out.

4. BE LOUD on DEFENSE and QUIET on OFFENSE. Rusty and the offense NEED to hear the plays and concentrate. And we don't want the other offense to have that advantage. We want them to call time out because its so loud in our House.

5. When a player from the other team is hurt, we don't clap or cheer after the initial hit. We NEVER want another player to be seriously injured. I have heard this twice from other teams on the road. If its true this needs to stop NOW.

6.) After a TD or Field Goal, we sing along with the band the FAU fight song. I like this idea, but its gonna REALLY need a push from the Prowlers and Student. Once you get that endzone singing, the older folks will join in.

I think thats a good jumping off point. Anyone else?

Edited to add points 1 and 6 due to suggestions in thist thread.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

I'm game. Tell me when are where and I'll be there. I'm sure Smitty can get Bobby the director of the prOWLers in. I'm sure we all have some really good ideas. Most important should be to learn the fight song then go from there but I'm in one way or the other.

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

owlfamily said

We can and should use this board to do that. I agree. Lets get this IN PLACE well before season. In fact it should be READY to go for the SPRING game. And then perhaps the RA's can hand it out to students so they know.

Ill Lead off:

1.) You wear BLUE to Football games. This in my mind needs to be a NON-NEGOTIABLE from this point forward. As much praise, love, and slobbering on Howard thats been going on this week (deservedly so), you would think that the LEAST we can do as fans is wear the color he wants at Football games. Coach wants blue, the University wants blue. We wear BLUE for football. It has been written, so let it be DONE.

2.) BE in the stadium 15 minutes BEFORE the game. Seriously you know how much it sucks to have the team run on to the field to be greeted by a few hundred? I like to tailgate as much as the next person but MAN we need every owl fan In the stadium to BOO the other team when they run on and Cheer like hell when our team runs out.

3.) BE LOUD on DEFENSE and QUIET on OFFENSE. Rusty and the offense NEED to hear the plays and concentrate. And we don't want the other offense to have that advantage. We want them to call time out because its so loud in our House.

4.) When a player from the other team is hurt, we don't clap or cheer after the initial hit. We NEVER want another player to be seriously injured. I have heard this twice from other teams on the road. If its true this needs to stop NOW.

I think thats a good jumping off point. Anyone else?

Good points all…but you left out the most important one….SHOW UP TO ALL THE GAMES!!!  Admission for students is FREE.  I know it is a 15 minute drive from campus(or 30 minutes for the game at DS), but who cares?  It is 5 games a season…be there or you are missing out on something special.  Don't get me wrong, student attendance has been really improving the past couple of years, but there is A LOT of room for improvement.  There is no reason to not have 3,000-5,000 students at the games every Saturday.

Back to the top

fauowls44 said

Good points all…but you left out the most important one….SHOW UP TO ALL THE GAMES!!!  Admission for students is FREE.  I know it is a 15 minute drive from campus(or 30 minutes for the game at DS), but who cares?  It is 5 games a season…be there or you are missing out on something special.  Don't get me wrong, student attendance has been really improving the past couple of years, but there is A LOT of room for improvement.  There is no reason to not have 3,000-5,000 students at the games every Saturday.

AGREE 150%

5.) You GO to the FOOTBALL game on Saturdays or WHENEVER its played, Unless your working or supporting yourself. This point REALLY needs to be driven home to incoming students and ANYONE who interacts with them.

Keep em coming folks. Its time we educate this growing Fanbase on what it means to be a fan.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

I would love to hear even if its 10,000 people at lockhart all in unison sing the fight song after we score and maybe again after we win. I know we all want to go home after the game but if we can hang out for a few more minutes to sing the fight song especially after a big win. If I were a player after that USF game and I know my fans stuck around even in a loss and we all sung the school's fight song after we just played our hearts out I don't think I would ever forget that.

If that's something we can start while at lockhart by the time we get our stadium we'd then have 30,000 people in unison and it would also help the band. I'm sure the band would love to hear 30,000 people singing along when they play the fight song and any incoming freshman who plays an instrument can think WOW that's really cool I'd love to be part of the band and be responsible for x amount of people singing the fight song.

Just my 2 cents..

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

owlfamily said

fauowls44 said

AGREE 150%

5.) You GO to the FOOTBALL game on Saturdays or WHENEVER its played, Unless your working or supporting yourself. This point REALLY needs to be driven home to incoming students and ANYONE who interacts with them.

Keep em coming folks. Its time we educate this growing Fanbase on what it means to be a fan.

Not to nitpick but this one needs to be at the top of the list.  It doesn't matter what color shirt they are wearing if they don't show up!  Should also be mentioned…this goes for all on campus sporting events too…especially men's basketball.  No disrespect to the other sports, but football and basketball are the sports that will get the closest look at most when it comes to moving up in conference.  You can have successful football and basketball programs, but if they stuggle to draw fans, a conference like the Big East will pass.  
Back to the top

Fan guide and traditions

Jab979 said

I would love to hear even if its 10,000 people at lockhart all in unison sing the fight song after we score and maybe again after we win. I know we all want to go home after the game but if we can hang out for a few more minutes to sing the fight song especially after a big win. If I were a player after that USF game and I know my fans stuck around even in a loss and we all sung the school's fight song after we just played our hearts out I don't think I would ever forget that.

If that's something we can start while at lockhart by the time we get our stadium we'd then have 30,000 people in unison and it would also help the band. I'm sure the band would love to hear 30,000 people singing along when they play the fight song and any incoming freshman who plays an instrument can think WOW that's really cool I'd love to be part of the band and be responsible for x amount of people singing the fight song.

Just my 2 cents..

Atmosphere in general is an important thing. The UF game solidified that. It's about presentation and interaction as much as football. Not only did they show videos of american soldiers in Iraq saying "Go Gators", they also had all the "orange! blue!" -type chants.

I had an idea for our on-campus stadium but it would be less effective during the day without the lights (Schnellenberger says he wants 4 pm games in the OCS)…. anyway, the idea was to play Metallica's "Enter Sandman" over the speakers before the team comes out of the helmet. The stadium would have gone dark and red and blue lights would have swept the audience like at a rock show. When the drum kicks come in at :16, dum dum dum, everybody in the stadium claps along to the drums while cheering. At about :45, the announcer says, "Ladies and gentlemen…. HERE COME THE OWLSSSSSSS!!!!" At which point (:55) the guitar kicks in, the cannon shoots off and the team comes running out. The guitar fades down at that point.

THAT is a theatrical entrance.
Back to the top
Control functions: