Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Rating the season and players....offense, defense, and special teams

Just wanted to get everyones true opinion on the season and what was thought of the play of our owls on offense, defense, and special teams.
Back to the top

Re: Rating the season and players....offense, defense, and special teams

Rating the season and players....offense, defense, and special teams

A

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

I didn't see enough to be able to give too many comments but here are the grades I would give.

Offense A-

Could always be better especially in some of the games where they waited until the end to score but they carried this team.

Defense B-

They kept the team in most games all year long and if the defense were bad they wouldn't have won Belt or bowl, however,  with all of the experience they had returning I really was expecting more.

Special Teams B-

Wasn't very good most of year but came up big last few games

OVERALL A+

Team completed all of their goals, are getting national press and have really taken this program to what seems to be another level.  I gave them harder grades just because of my preseason expectations of the defense, and you can always improve.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

I couldn't be more proud of our team. I think offense was awesome and a ridiculous amount of fun to watch and I can't wait for next year! As we all know, defense needs some work. We have no pass rush, its a good thing we have such good DBs or we'd be in trouble. Special teams? I think we need alot of work. Edgecomb seemed to do pretty well near the end of the year on returning kicks, but we REALLY need a punt returner, I don't think Polo is the guy for the job. He fair catches everything. And our kicker and punter need work. Hopefully next year these things will be figured out. Just imagine if our D stepped up as well as being able to always rely on Leroy to nail his FGs. I am so thankful for this team. In the beginning of the year I made a prediction, I said, "If we beat MTSU, we are going to a bowl game." Yes, it was a gamble, but it came true! (I also said that Rusty would throw for like 335 yards in NO and he threw for, I think 337,lol!) Anyways, as with everyting, there is room for improvement, and I think with so many starters returning, we're in pretty good shape for the next couple years…GO OWLS!
Back to the top

I think that the defense will be on a mission next year.  Really, for the first 6 years of Owls football, the defense was our best unit, and they were the reason that we won games.  Even during Jared Allen's best seasons, the offense would do just enough to win.  This year the roles flip-flopped.  The offense was outstanding and the defense did just enough.  They gave up a ton of yards, but made enough stops and big plays to allow the offense to outscore teams.  I think a lot of the defensive problems can be attributed to the injuries to the defensive line.  At the beggining of the year, we saw what they did to MTSU with their complete defensive unit.  Next year, we'll have Savidge back, along with the players that redshirted this season.  Not to mention all of the 2nd and 3rd stringers that were forced into action a bit soon now have all that experience and with another offseason of conditioning should be even better.

As for the special teams unit.  I agree that we need an upgrade on punt returns.  Polo is a terrific CB, but he isn't a great returner.  Does anyone know what Franz Simeon's status is for next year?  He was an outstanding returner in 2006. 
Back to the top

Fan4Life said

Just wanted to get everyones true opinion on the season and what was thought of the play of our owls on offense, defense, and special themes

Offense regarding the pass is excellent. Hope to see Rusty average 4 TDs per game next season and round it out with ~40 Tds in 2008 and ~50 TDs in his senior year, 2009. I also hope to see VanCamp become a definite threat even when Rusty is off the field. Offense regarding the run is less admirable, although Willie Rose is a shiny star there and I hope that our new recruiting class lands us a Kevin Smith-type.

Defense pulled together at key moments to win us games but we were awful against running attacks and we allowed too many points, especially to SBC teams. We need to keep enemies at 2 TDs or less per game. We need to consistently have 3+ TD lead over all SBC teams to make a statement that we're ready to move out of the SBC. Not saying next year necessarily but eventually.

Special teams… uneven. Kick/Punt returns have been picking up. DiIvory is excellent. Polo is okay… later on he may be better. Punts have been weak at times, as have placekickers. I guess I'm still disappointed in the USF game field goal attempts. I'm also disappointed with the blocked punt run for a TD by UF. That happens and you know what, we still won both the SBC and the Bowl so I can't complain too much. I do wonder if it's the Special Teams Coach or the players that are not being as effective as they could be but I guess that's just speculation.
Back to the top

I spoke with Pinnick for a while out in N.O. and he told me he was applying to come back for another season.  I know I read on this board that he had made a final decision before, but from what he said…he has changed his mind.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

I spoke with Pinnick for a while out in N.O. and he told me he was applying to come back for another season.  I know I read on this board that he had made a final decision before, but from what he said…he has changed his mind.

That would be awesome if he were to come back for a final year and finish his college career on his terms.  Hope it works out for him.
Back to the top

walty12 said

from what i know of the appeal process, and NOT TO BE NEGATIVE, it would be a very distant possibility from an NCAA standpoint…he was already granted a red shirt year…

BUT stranger things have happened…Hope they give it to him…would be great to see him in uniform again…and our run defense, and spread offense defense, would DEFINITLEY improve! :)

Offense = B + / A -

Have to learn how to finish folks off, and put to halfs together…much improved in the second half of the season…

Deffense = B -

Losing Pinnick and Savidge kept the grade from being higher…
Pass coverage HAS to improve…

Special Teams = B -

Leroy's job is in jeopardy…you heard it here first…
Punt game has a scholoarship player and we strill shank 10 punts on the year…
DI-Edge gets an A+…

Coaching = B + / A -

Schnelley = A…should get a nod for Coach of the year for the architectural success that was produced this year, but we know how that goes to the "elite programs"…

Nord = B + / A -
Way too many draws, and wrinkle up the middle run plays in the firsthalf of the season…moved away from this and strated to call plays to the outside more, and low and behold, the run game improved - dramatically…Second half of season play calling was superb - especially versus FIU, @ Troy, and versus Memphis…

Hoza = B
Should have blitzed more the first half of the season…when we started to, that helped - ALOT…see Troy for example…

Special Teams = B +
Although this is a "shared role", it is the first time Schnelley has paid close attention to the Special Teams game…and the results started to show - especially in the block(s) produced…

Overall = B +

We still have some work to do, but for what we had to work with, a great effort overall…
Back to the top

offense B+ our running game was still lagging a bit. and as much as we love Harmon he's not a tight end at all, he's wide receiver. we need tight end for the short 3&4 across the middle, we don't have that player.

Defense B- great DB's. We need some bigger corners. we had a bunch of interceptions but we also did get lit up a lot. No sacks from the d-line and the running game was awful. If Memphis and Troy had a running game those out comes could've been very different. ASU and the UL's ran all over us. We didn't have any dominated defensive game. That needs to change, especially if we expect to win against UAB, Minn, Michigan State and dare I say it….. Texas.

Special teams needs a lot of work.
Back to the top
Control functions: