Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Depth over the next few years

I found this chart on Scout:

Scout.com: Football Recruiting

It's a bit out of date (e.g. Souverain) but it lists our players and the year they graduate. It looks like nearly the entire team, especially on defense, is graduating next season (2008). Will 2009 be a "rebuilding" season?
Back to the top

Re: Depth over the next few years

Depth over the next few years

Lm77 said

It's a bit out of date (e.g. Souverain) but it lists our players and the year they graduate. It looks like nearly the entire team, especially on defense, is graduating next season (2008). Will 2009 be a "rebuilding" season?

I don't think 2009 will be a rebuilding year.  We lose a lot of players on defense, but that is why we have redshirted basically the entire recruiting class from this past year.  Plus a lot of young defensive players got into games this season due to injuries.  With this new recruiting class coming in, we'll be fine.  You also have to keep in mind the players coming in from the past few recruiting classes are likely better pure athletes than the ones that they are replacing.  Not to take anything away from those guys, who are great, but the past few recruiting classes are the first to come here as a full fledged I-A program. 
Back to the top

plus look at all those *, it just goes to show you how many guys were able to red shirt now. the offense in 09' looks insane.
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

Lm77 said

I don't think 2009 will be a rebuilding year.  We lose a lot of players on defense, but that is why we have redshirted basically the entire recruiting class from this past year.  Plus a lot of young defensive players got into games this season due to injuries.  With this new recruiting class coming in, we'll be fine.  You also have to keep in mind the players coming in from the past few recruiting classes are likely better pure athletes than the ones that they are replacing.  Not to take anything away from those guys, who are great, but the past few recruiting classes are the first to come here as a full fledged I-A program.

Excellent point.  Don't forget about the transfers.  They will also help us in the future.
Back to the top

I feel like this is where redshirting comes in to play AND where taking everyone to New Orleans helps alot.  All those guys that were redshirted (Ryan Wischnefski comes to mind, 3 star OL) are going to be talking to their friends at their high schools, and the ball rolls from there, they will be like yeh I get to play 4 years, get conference championships, bowl championships.

I feel like we will be fine, esecially once others from the big schools realize that they can come on down to FAU and actually play (cough cough Bo Williams cough cough) and make a difference immediately.  Sure it sound great to be a "Gator" or a "Seminole" but what it comes down to is playing time.  NFL scouts will look at FAU standouts alot more than they will look at Gator benchwarmers.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

I also think that we will be fine, it will be our largest turnover since 04, but we will be in much better shape because of not only the amout of player we have been able to red-shirt, but the experience they will be getting in 07 & 08 and IMO we will be in a similar position as this year - ton of potential with a young talented team.

Howard mentioned that we will be signing about 20 or so players & if it's anything like last year, if the coaches continue to find talented recruits it could be a larger then expected clas,s much like last years was.
Back to the top
Control functions: