Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Sun Belt bowl situation

anyone hear anything about the Sun Belt getting a second bowl tie-in?? it's pathetic… we are in the only conference in I-A that has ONE bowl tie-in

what's the deal with this? Belt commish, wright walters, said something about working on a second bowl tie-in… what's the situation here?

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

Re: Sun Belt bowl situation

Something needs to be done. I understand the one bowl when the winner of the SBC went 6-6 (back when North Texas was dominant). A lot has changed since then. Teams have legitimate shots at winning 8 or even 9 games. Hopefully next year the SBC gets more respect. It would also be nice to have one or two more bowls simply to have different venues. New Orleans was great, but it would be nice to add some different trophies to the case and check out some other bowls.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Sun Belt bowl situation

I dotn' think the Sun Belt will start getting some respect until they quit being a doormat for SEC schools.  I think it will be much better once the Sun Belt starts playing more mediocre teams like FAU will start with UAB.

Its not that the Sun Belt  hasn't improved it has.  But their out of conference record is abysmal and if you look at this link thats because of all the SEC and BIG 12 Teams that rocked the Sun Belt this year.

Colley's Bias Free College Football Rankings

I know a lot of that is because of location of SEC and BIG 12 but the Sun Belt needs to play some more winnable out of conference games, Big East C-USA MAC mid-lower level ACC Big 12 and Big 10, to really begin to be recognized.

Back to the top

and what makes it worse…..

lafayette not getting a single non-conference win, plus losing to division I-AA mcneese state, plus getting SMACKED by UCF, plus losing to the university of ohio (a dreadful MAC team)
north texas not getting a single non-conference win from a TRUE division I-A team
middle tennessee losing to western kentucky, who is in transition from I-AA to I-A

then factor in our 3-23 record against BCS teams…

point well taken, apet

Back to the top

Has anyone heard anything new on the "Boca Bowl" rumored for the new stadium?
Back to the top

Ive been glancing at the Troy and Memphis boards a bit, and some of thier "Sources" say that the NOBow. may actually be looking to DROP the Sunbelt Winner due to travel and performance issues.

Sure hope thats not true but I have no idea how Bowls get those tie ins.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

owlfamily said

Ive been glancing at the Troy and Memphis boards a bit, and some of thier "Sources" say that the NOBow. may actually be looking to DROP the Sunbelt Winner due to travel and performance issues.

memphis talking about "performance issues?" hahahahahaha

Troy 41, Rice 17
Florida Atlantic 44, Memphis 27

which conference has had the "performance issues" the past 2 years?

Back to the top

owlfamily said

sounds good to me…$350K is a stinkin JOKE…the only lower Bowl is the Papa John's Bowl @ $300k…

If thats all they can cough up, then buh-bye is fine by me…

We need to get the CUSA tie in…and they need to drop one…
Back to the top

fauowl09 said

owlfamily said

memphis talking about "performance issues?" hahahahahaha

Troy 41, Rice 17
Florida Atlantic 44, Memphis 27

which conference has had the "performance issues" the past 2 years?

They mean attendance… which the SBC has not delivered. It's about $$$, not the quality of the teams. However, I think the SBC owns part of the NO Bowl.

The GMAC bowl, in Mobile (where future football member USA is) is a good candidate to move from CUSA to the SBC. SBC vs. MAC would be a good matchup.
Back to the top

The SunBelt is better than CUSA right now, but CUSA and others like the MAC are perceived as better. That is because our conference leadership … well … stinks.

Our OOC record is poor because we mainly play the big, big boys. Many of the mid-majors will not play us (at least not 1-for-1, which we deserve), and usually not at home (especially not after what FAU did to Minn., and Troy did to Mizzou and Okla. State).

I have heard rumors of a SunBelt tie-in to the GMAC Bowl, which would be great for us and is played in, reportedly, a supportive city. But our conference leadership must be replaced or coaxed into professionalism to see that our best teams have post-season options.

The 'Belt could soon be in great shape with at least two tie-ins, or lose the NOB to the SEC and not get the GMAC. It could also get stuck with a new bowl in some cold city, which would be OK if we kept the NOB.

Back to the top
Control functions: