Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Who let the Owls out?

I am surprised that nobody brought this up yet. The "Who Let the Owls Out??" chant was strong in New Orleans for better or worse (probably worse). The older guy with the fire hat got it started and numerous people joined in. Any thoughts?? Will it ever die??

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Re: WHO LET THE OWLS OUT REVISITED

It may never die.  When the "Fireman Ed" walked into the post game party at the Diplomat, he started the chant and all the "senior" fans joined in and really thought they were cool.  I nudged the guy next to me at the bar and said how so many of us despise that cheer and we really need to get rid of it and he seemed flabbergasted.  :o  He said it is a great cheer and has been with us since Day 1, as he has.  >:(  I didn't see it as an appropriate time to begin to educate him on the lameness of the cheer as we were celebrating the monumental victory, so I agreed with him and toasted the win.  ;D

One day we may all be screaming "Who Let the Owls Out!" in the backdrop of College Gameday and Corso  slips on his Owl head predicting an FAU victory!!! 
Back to the top

Baller07 said

It may never die.  When the "Fireman Ed" walked into the post game party at the Diplomat, he started the chant and all the "senior" fans joined in and really thought they were cool.  I nudged the guy next to me at the bar and said how so many of us despise that cheer and we really need to get rid of it and he seemed flabbergasted.   :o  He said it is a great cheer and has been with us since Day 1, as he has.  >:(  I didn't see it as an appropriate time to begin to educate him on the lameness of the cheer as we were celebrating the monumental victory, so I agreed with him and toasted the win.  ;D

One day we may all be screaming "Who Let the Owls Out!" in the backdrop of College Gameday and Corso  slips on his Owl head predicting an FAU victory!!! 

it will die… i have faith in our fan constituency

here's how you do it….

it starts and ends with the BAND… if we hear the fight song, the "Let's Go Owls" chant (with the band music), the other chant (Fight for the Red and the Blue) and our alma mater (during halftime or end of the 3rd quarter)… fans will become more aquatinted with our REAL and MATURE cheers and will drop the stupid, IMMATURE "who let the owls out"

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

People that start it should be tackled by someone around them, and then eventually, they will learn that when they start the chant, they are going to get tackled...if only that could work, because I really do feel like tackling them when they say it,lol. I realize that its mostly older folks that start it, how do they even know that song? They were old when the song first came out! Also, ITS A TERRIBLE SONG!. This has to dealt with next year...my vote is for tackling them! lol..Any other suggestions?
Back to the top

Personally, I do not care much about who cheers what. I do care, however, about who supports the team in contributions, buying tickets, contributions and attendance (home and away).

Is one cheer really 'immature' and another not? Think about it. Successful cheers generally are simple by requirement (so that more fans, even the occasional fans) can pick them up easily. Perhaps this makes them 'immature' in the minds of some. Complicated cheers (or 'mature' cheers for the experts among you) don't work anywhere, as best I can determine. I like some better than others, but it is not my business to try to restrict others from chanting 'F—-A—-U,' or anything else, provided it isn't obscene, racist, off-color, etc. For whatever reason, Florida fans love the guy at the Swamp who comes out on the field before ever home game and does the old 'Two Bits, Four Bits…' cheer. That's not my cup of tea, but it is their absolute right.

As mentioned above, it's not really my business to determine and judge who should cheer what chants. But I would be remiss if I did not say I very much appreciate the gent in the fireman's hat; if all who complained supported the team as much as he does (home and away), bought as many tickets as he has and contributed as much as he does, I suppose I might take their comments a tad more seriously. Meanwhile, as we continue to build a fan base, I say a heartfelt thank you to him and I assure him that I support his cheers, as well as those of anyone and everyone else, even if I don't care for them.

I'm in favor of buying tickets, attending games when one can (home and away), contributing to the program and supporting the team – not to slamming those who do all of the aforementioned. But, what the heck, I'm just an old guy or, as someone put it above, one of our 'senior' fans. I welcome the senior fans, as well as the 'junior' fans. 
Back to the top

FAUfasho said

People that start it should be tackled by someone around them, and then eventually, they will learn that when they start the chant, they are going to get tackled…if only that could work, because I really do feel like tackling them when they say it,lol. I realize that its mostly older folks that start it, how do they even know that song? They were old when the song first came out! Also, ITS A TERRIBLE SONG!. This has to dealt with next year…my vote is for tackling them! lol..Any other suggestions?

i agree, its called tough love.

It's Owl Time!
Back to the top

grayowl said

Personally, I do not care much about who cheers what. I do care, however, about who supports the team in contributions, buying tickets, contributions and attendance (home and away).

Is one cheer really 'immature' and another not? Think about it. Successful cheers generally are simple by requirement (so that more fans, even the occasional fans) can pick them up easily. Perhaps this makes them 'immature' in the minds of some. Complicated cheers (or 'mature' cheers for the experts among you) don't work anywhere, as best I can determine. I like some better than others, but it is not my business to try to restrict others from chanting 'F—-A—-U,' or anything else, provided it isn't obscene, racist, off-color, etc. For whatever reason, Florida fans love the guy at the Swamp who comes out on the field before ever home game and does the old 'Two Bits, Four Bits…' cheer. That's not my cup of tea, but it is their absolute right.

As mentioned above, it's not really my business to determine and judge who should cheer what chants. But I would be remiss if I did not say I very much appreciate the gent in the fireman's hat; if all who complained supported the team as much as he does (home and away), bought as many tickets as he has and contributed as much as he does, I suppose I might take their comments a tad more seriously. Meanwhile, as we continue to build a fan base, I say a heartfelt thank you to him and I assure him that I support his cheers, as well as those of anyone and everyone else, even if I don't care for them.

I'm in favor of buying tickets, attending games when one can (home and away), contributing to the program and supporting the team – not to slamming those who do all of the aforementioned. But, what the heck, I'm just an old guy or, as someone put it above, one of our 'senior' fans. I welcome the senior fans, as well as the 'junior' fans.

I agree GrayOwl. I only started this thread because so many people mentioned the cheer early on in the season and most had a problem with it. I actually saw the gentleman in the fireman's hat at the Kentucky game and again in New Orleans so I know that he is a real fan who has great support for FAU. The cheer, as quirky as it might be, goes back to game #1 against Slippery Rock. It was part of FAU's first game ever and it was part of FAU's first bowl win ever. The cheer is part of FAU's history. It has become a tradition even if people don't like it.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

The cheer, as quirky as it might be, goes back to game #1 against Slippery Rock. It was part of FAU's first game ever and it was part of FAU's first bowl win ever. The cheer is part of FAU's history. It has become a tradition even if people don't like it.

TOUCHDOWN. Thank you very much. It's part of our tradition. As corny as it may be, keep it. No one said you had to participate in the cheer if you don't like it. I sat with a bunch of alums and donors and they loved it.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

Who let the Owls out?

smittysahoot said

owlfan1 said

The cheer, as quirky as it might be, goes back to game #1 against Slippery Rock. It was part of FAU's first game ever and it was part of FAU's first bowl win ever. The cheer is part of FAU's history. It has become a tradition even if people don't like it.

TOUCHDOWN. Thank you very much. It's part of our tradition. As corny as it may be, keep it. No one said you had to participate in the cheer if you don't like it. I sat with a bunch of alums and donors and they loved it.

Smitty, I know everyone is clamoring for traditions here but there are some "traditions", like horrible cheers that can die a horrible death.  We are a young program why not kill it before we find people doing it 30 yrs from now, wondering what idiots decided to keep the cheer around.
Back to the top

lol didnt we have one of the longest posts b4 we made a bowl game on this…..lol……well if it dies or not……i wish a horrible life on the baja men which gave some poor smuck the idea to change dog to owl…..thanks BAJA MEN!!!!

but for good time sake….

WHO LET THE OWLS OUT?!?!?!?!?
Back to the top
Control functions: