Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

New Year's Day Bowl Thoughts

Add topic

A couple of quick bowl thoughts.

- As Troy sits home while teams ranked 20-plus places below it (including No. 70 Virginia) enjoy the post-season on national TV, I have never seen so many unranked teams in bowl games - major bowls at that.

And some of these unranked teams even won against other overrated teams.

- I swear Troy (and FAU) could have knocked off more than half the teams I have seen on TV the last few days, including USF and UCF for sure, and probably AU and UA. This makes the Troy snub even worse.

- FAU is the only Florida team to win a bowl game. How many people outside of Palm Beach County (and even few of them) would have predicted that in August? If this doesn't jump start fan support and a fast stadium project, what will?

O.K., FAU marketing folks. What's the plan?

- Why is it that the networks (especially Fox) show the bands in the stands and even during their halftime shows at some of the games, but completely ignore them at others (including the New Orleans Bowl, at which we saw absolutely nothing of the Marching Owls)? Would it kill the networks to show some of the pageantry involved with these games, instead of regurgitated pap from the "newsroom" about Barry Bonds in court or the latest coach jumping ship?

- BTW, the USC "Spirit of Troy", or whatever crummy name the USC band has, was not very impressive and could take some tips from the real Troy Sound of the South. The Georgia and Hawaii bands weren't bad. I couldn't tell you how good the USF and Oregon bands were because my senses were instead assaulted by some Mexi-rap dude who horribly lip-synched a "song" that didn't even impress the locals in El Paso. That was a halftime show?

- Watching Hawaii stink up the Sugar Bowl tonight, I flashed back to Troy at Georgia and having a chance to win late against arguably the best team in the country. It made me sick to see Hawaii (which could not have beaten several SunBelt teams tonight) get such national attention, while the Trojans sat home.

- Finally, I caught the end of the Konica Minolta (I thought that entire duo of former fine camera companies had been absorbed by Sony) Gator Bowl, which was won with a FG with 2 seconds remaining by unranked Texas Tech over Virginia.

These two major conference programs on the rise drew an attendance so poor that the upper decks and end zones were empty. It had to have been the worst attended BCS game ever. It looked on TV that Troy had more people in New Orleans last year the TT had in Jacksonville today.

With all the bowls literally selling their souls to ridiculous-sounding sponsors, they deserve dwindling attendance.

To Hades with the NCAA, SunBelt leadership and BCS.
Back to the top

Re: New Year's Day Bowl Thoughts

BMarkey said

A couple of quick bowl thoughts.

- As Troy sits home while teams ranked 20-plus places below it (including No. 70 Virginia) enjoy the post-season on national TV, I have never seen so many unranked teams in bowl games - major bowls at that.

And some of these unranked teams even won against other overrated teams.

- I swear Troy (and FAU) could have knocked off more than half the teams I have seen on TV the last few days, including USF and UCF for sure, and probably AU and UA. This makes the Troy snub even worse.

- FAU is the only Florida team to win a bowl game. How many people outside of Palm Beach County (and even few of them) would have predicted that in August? If this doesn't jump start fan support and a fast stadium project, what will?

I'm totally with ya BMarkey, Troy was TOTALLY hosed this year. I watch the Alabama/Colorado game and all I kept thinking was that Troy would have made a much better showing, playing either one. Not to mention they deserved to be there more. And don't get me going with Oklawhiner State game-I really can't stand orange now. Troy deserved better, buddy, much better. SBC officials need to wakeup here, or stand to lose the better schools when the opportunity arises.

-Go Owls
Back to the top

BMarkey said

Totally agree.
Back to the top

fauowl said

BMarkey said

Totally agree.

without a doubt…..maybe next year……although without omar it may be challenging for troy
Back to the top

Nunzio42 said

fauowl said

BMarkey said

Totally agree.

without a doubt…..maybe next year……although without omar it may be challenging for troy

I don't know… the little we saw of Troy's backup QB, he looked pretty impressive.  They'll be back.  They were good before Omar.

Like things, love people.
Back to the top

New Year's Day Bowl Thoughts

Anybody watching the slaughter of hawaii at all? This team doesnt deserve to be here at all in the sugar bowl. FAU's game in the dome was more exciting than this.  Have fun next year when your first game of 2008 is UF, warriors.
Back to the top

Troy had two capable backups this year - one of whom ran for a long TD against Arkansas and the other who guided a long TD drive against Georgia (Troy lost to the Bulldogs by 10). Two others redshirted, one of whom had scholarship offers from Kentucky and South Carolina.

Troy returns much talent (the new OC learned the system under Franklin) and will be fine.

Oh yeah, Hawaii looked like #$%^&.

I saw Troy play at Georgia and the Trojans led at one point and had a chance to win in the fourth quarter. Hawaii could not have beaten several SunBelt teams tonight. The Warriors do not deserve a ranking.

Back to the top

Whether they played well or not, they deserved to be there with an undefeated record.

Like things, love people.
Back to the top
Control functions: