Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME THREAD: USA vs. FAU 01-02-08

Add topic

Just got back from the game. Bad loss. We had this one too. We were tied up at 44 and then we left this guy # 3(I don't know his name) wide open and he kept drilling 3's.

They did play MUCH better then usual and I thought for sure we'd pull this out. I just have a question maybe someone can help me out, not to familiar with the workings on basketball, but why wasn't Sammy put under the basket? Sammy had AT LEAST 50 lbs on the guy that was guarding him. I would have put him under the basket and fed it to him all night, I'm sure they would have caught on and double teamed him but someone would have been open them.

and for the love of god will someone PLEASE make a foul shot!?! If I'm Rex I make them stay in the gym all night just shooting free throws over and over and over again. Time and again our F/T shooting is what kills us.

They did play much better and maybe we can pull out a victory over Troy

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Re: USA vs. FAU 1/2

GAME THREAD: USA vs. FAU 01-02-08

just got home too, i thought the coach was gonna come and talk trash after the game to jab and i.

This game was bad…..no post play down low at all…..and their fowards all weighed maybe 200 lbs combined…..i could have posted them up and man handled them……

foul shooting and telescoping passes once again made it so the game came out of our control……

I dunno i dont feel good about troy
Back to the top

ohh yah decent crowd tonight......but still cant get any students in the seats......last game was much louder though......THANKS KYLE
Back to the top

One thing I forgot to add. Was it REALLY necessary for the coach of USA to take a time out when they had a double digit lead and there was 14 seconds left? It's not like it was coming down one last play

Back to the top

Jab979 said

One thing I forgot to add. Was it REALLY necessary for the coach of USA to take a time out when they had a double digit lead and there was 14 seconds left? It's not like it was coming down one last play

Yeah that was ridiculous to call a timeout at 16 seconds when you're already up by ten points.

Crowd was okay. At tipoff there were 35 people on the student side. By the end of the game there were more, thankfully… Taheem Acevedo was there. Looked for Xavier Stinson… did anybody see him there?

Paul Graham played, in case people don't know, but once again Monroe was the main man. Alacron may emerge as our primary three-point player… disappointed in Sammy Hernandez; he's a huge guy and can nab the ball well but he only put up 2 points all night tonight IIRC.

The loss was upsetting, of course, but not unexpected. On the upside, I talked to President Brogan during halftime regarding the stadium situation. He said there have been "lots and lots of donations" since the Bowl game. I mentioned the Office Depot idea that's been floating around on the board here recently – the one where they get the rights to all our office supplies and such – and he said they've been talking to Office Depot and "a couple of banks are very interested." Unfortunately, he wasn't any more specific than that.

Bank Atlantic Stadium? Commerce Bank Stadium? I guess we'll see how this plays out in the next three months. Call it fanboy optimism but I have a feeling like we'll seal this deal. After all, they got Scripps and the Medical School when they put their mind to it. Let's hope that negotiating success carries over.
Back to the top

I am very disappointed in Sammy too for such a big guy he was shooting from the outside he was barely able to move, looked like he was out of shape. I really wish that they would play an inside game, it seems as if they were scared to go under the basket or to drive the lane and get a foul called. When we were down by 1 they were just forcing shots and it was terrible, Hernandez easily should have had double digit rebounds. If he would just stay near the basket and muscle his way towards the basket he'd be a force

I like the hustle of Nwoji even when we were down by 10 points he steals the inbound pass and makes an easy layup to cut the lead down. He also has a good 3 point shot.

That's great news on the stadium, anxious to hear what comes of it.

Back to the top

yah that timeout, and that stacked play they tried to run after the timeout was garbage!
Back to the top

I went to the game.  We have no inside game at all.  When we do get to the rim we struggle to finish at the basket.  My expectation (from reading this board) was that Sammy was going to be a beast.  Sorry, but he looks tentative, and sluggish.  We cannot use the excuse he hasn't played…he has been practicing for a year with the team.

I have been to every game and will continue my support and go to the remaining games so I am not jumping off the wagon, but reality is reality.  This is not an exciting team to watch for whatever reason.  Maybe it's a chemistry thing.  The past two years have been at least exciting to watch, win or lose.

Ok, now everyone can say how, we just got PG back and we need time to gel together and Sammy has only played a few games, and we are still waiting for Owens and when we get all those components together we will be awesome.  Yes, Rex commented after the game that he saw some positive things so go ahead and quote that as well.

On a positive note: I was able to meet BMarkey, dMarkey, Bytor, FAUtuba, and Owler at the game.  I met Dolphins QB Trent Green at the game, and I ran into Howard at the Oxley and had a nice chat.

Brent Crews was at the game.  Good to see players come back and support the guys.

Go Owls!!!

Back to the top

we gave up 3 three pointers in the final 5 minutes of the game, TO AN UNKNOWN OFF THE BENCH - UGH!

and we shot a dismal 6-23 from beyond the arch…that will not win any ball game - period…

Sammy:

Rex said he has a nice midrange game…guess we haven't seen it yet…

Royster:

Kid is going to be a GOOD player down the line…great shot blocking skills - if anyone caught the two he had…

Parmer:

Could have been a factor in this one…fouled out after playing only 8 minutes…not going to work at all…

Inside game:

some commented on this, but here is the actual stat…take it for what it is:

POINTS IN PAINT          1  2 - Tot
South Alabama………..  6  6 -  12
Florida Atlantic……..    6  14 -  20

our 3 point shooting sank the ship (again) last night…
Back to the top

I just think for being the biggest guy on team and probably outweighing the guy who guarded him Sammy could have backed in and posted him up and put some points on the board. It was as if they are afraid to drive to the hoop. They pass it around the perimeter looking for the perfect shot. Drive the basket! Get the foul and make your damn foul shots! Had we made our foul shots this would have been a different game. We would have had the lead and probably would have played differently

Back to the top
Control functions: