Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Awesome Rex quote

Add topic

From Ted Hutton's blog:

And when talking about now using the top 10 players in practice, T-Rex talked about practicing hard and practicing too hard.

“That is a fine line. You want to keep them fresh, but keep them fresh for what? An 11 point loss?”

Good stuff.  As forgiving as fans can be, I am glad FAU is being led by a coach that hates medicority.  Like I've said on here before, we should be better and Rex knows that more than anyone else.  Good for them.  Future is bright with that kind of leadership.

Like things, love people.
Back to the top

Re: Awesome Rex quote

From what I've heard they don't want to play for him and it's becoming obvious on the court.  This is shaping up to be a long year.

I like the hardass attitude also but if it's not producing he has a big problem.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

I like the hardass attitude also but if it's not producing he has a big problem.

I agree.  You recruited these players and if they aren't listening or doing the things you asked… well…?

Back to the top

dusky256fc said

From what I've heard they don't want to play for him and it's becoming obvious on the court.  This is shaping up to be a long year.

This could turn into a BIG problem. If Rex loses the respect of the players, its all over. I sure that this is not the case
Back to the top

Awesome Rex quote

dusky256fc said

If they don't want to play for him, you'd think more people would be leaving the team. Unfortunately in basketball you don't have as many reserves as football, so they need to get something working fast.
Back to the top

"Rebuke in private, exhort in public"…

Doherty had to learn that the hard way…and paid the price…same exact things were said of him at NC…to much of a hard-ass…bad attitude…

Rex is VERY harsh at times…almost bordering "harrassment"

if anyone was at FIU last season you will recall the "tantrum" he threw at Cuka…it was not pretty…let's just leave it at that…

that could come back to bite him…

Look at the Coach for Syracuse - Beheim…when weas the last time you saw any "negative" emotion out fo him toward a player?

On the other hand, consider the same of Bobby Knight…

yes, Florida_Owl just said something that wasn't "glowing" about Rex Walters…….

(but dont get used to it) ;)

I just Hope he sees he can get more with Honey, than with Vinegar…

Praise and instruction motivates…constant fault pointing, with the "looks", and obvious tone of disapproval, will kill it INSTANTLY…unless you had a field general for a father at home growing up…
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

if anyone was at FIU last season you will recall the "tantrum" he threw at Cuka…it was not pretty…let's just leave it at that…

I was at that game at FIU last year, and you are correct…that was one of the worst things I have ever seen at a sporting event.

I like Rex though…he knows what it takes to make it, and has been coached by some of the best, so I have a feeling he has heard some of these same things himself.

Having watched Bobby Knight my whole life, I can say, they have many similarities:
They demand that their players attend class.
They expect every player to graduate.
They require every player give everything they have on the court, and then give even more.
They expect players to work as hard in practice as they do in a game and in the classroom.

They have some great qualities for coaching…and those are the things that no one sees in public and most do not even know is happening.

What the public sees is the "tantrum" and yelling and screaming.

What makes it worse in Rex's case is that we do not have 20,000 screaming fans making noise and many fans can hear everything Coach is yelling and screaming.

I believe he is a great coach (and I know you do too, Florida_Owl).  I hope the players realize that in the end, Rex will make them better players, and more importantly, better business men, doctors, lawyers; whatever they choose to become.
Back to the top

fauowl said

Florida_Owl said

I was at that game at FIU last year, and you are correct…that was one of the worst things I have ever seen at a sporting event.

I like Rex though…he knows what it takes to make it, and has been coached by some of the best, so I have a feeling he has heard some of these same things himself.

Having watched Bobby Knight my whole life, I can say, they have many similarities:
They demand that their players attend class.
They expect every player to graduate.
They require every player give everything they have on the court, and then give even more.
They expect players to work as hard in practice as they do in a game and in the classroom.

They have some great qualities for coaching…and those are the things that no one sees in public and most do not even know is happening.

What the public sees is the "tantrum" and yelling and screaming.

What makes it worse in Rex's case is that we do not have 20,000 screaming fans making noise and many fans can hear everything Coach is yelling and screaming.

I believe he is a great coach (and I know you do too, Florida_Owl).  I hope the players realize that in the end, Rex will make them better players, and more importantly, better business men, doctors, lawyers; whatever they choose to become.

agree with you…he has a myriad of excellent qualities…

Ever see Riley throw a tantrum?  i dont know if i have…or Roy Thomas?

and i know i have never seen either of them belittle a player publically…

that aside he is a fantastic coach…

one thing is for sure…higher levels = higher devils….

when you move up you have to focus on the smaller things or they will eat your career and your success alive…
Back to the top

Wow. I was under the impression all was gravy with Rex.  It seems it may not just be a player issue.

Back to the top

Fledgling said

Wow. I was under the impression all was gravy with Rex.  It seems it may not just be a player issue.

when you don't win, things like this tend to "surface"…last year they won…so, "attitude" wasnt something that was as "noticed"…

The FIU incident did turn some heads though…

dont get me wrong, like fauowl, i think Rex is a fantastic coach…he just needs some "work" on the people skills, and the use of negative reinforcement as his primary corrective and "motivational" tool…
Back to the top
Control functions: