Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

North Texas fires defensive coordinator

UNT fires defensive coordinator after 2-10 season

DENTON, Texas (AP) — North Texas defensive coordinator Ron Mendoza was fired Friday after a 2-10 season in which the Mean Green gave up more than 70 points in two games and 66 in another.

Mendoza, also the linebackers coach, came to North Texas with Todd Dodge, who made the rare jump last year from high schools to head coach in the highest division of college football. Mendoza and Dodge spent seven years together at Southlake Carroll.

"These decisions are never easy, but ultimately I have to take the steps necessary that I believe will help build the football program at the University of North Texas," Dodge said.

North Texas finished last in the nation in scoring defense at 45.1 points per game and was near the bottom in total defense and rushing defense.

The Mean Green struggled from the start, losing the opener to Oklahoma 79-10 after falling behind 49-0 at halftime. Navy had nearly 600 rushing yards in a 74-62 victory, the highest-scoring game in major college history. North Texas lost 66-7 at Arkansas.

The season finale didn't have numbers that shocking but was just as difficult for North Texas. Florida International snapped a 23-game losing streak, the longest in major college football, with a 38-19 win that featured three touchdown passes by a quarterback making his first start.

Dodge brought three other high school assistants with him, including two from Carroll — offensive coordinator Todd Ford and Robert Drake, who coaches special teams and defensive tackles.

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

Re: North Texas fires defensive coordinator

CanadianOwl said

The Mean Green struggled from the start, losing the opener to Oklahoma 79-10 after falling behind 49-0 at halftime. Navy had nearly 600 rushing yards in a 74-62 victory, the highest-scoring game in major college history. North Texas lost 66-7 at Arkansas.

Holy hell.

Did Oklahoma and Arkansas not consider 'mercy ruling' these guys?
Back to the top

It's scapegoat season in football, whether college or pro. The team has a dreadful season (2-10), so the head coach has to do something: He fires the defensive coordinator. Who would have hired such an incompetent defensive coordinator, anyway? Why, the head coach, of course – the guy who just fired him. Moral of the story: If you want to save your own skin, you better find someone else's to kick out the door.
Back to the top

North Texas fires defensive coordinator

grayowl said

Who would have hired such an incompetent defensive coordinator, anyway? Why, the head coach, of course – the guy who just fired him.

ha ha ha…
Back to the top

grayowl said

It's scapegoat season in football, whether college or pro. The team has a dreadful season (2-10), so the head coach has to do something: He fires the defensive coordinator. Who would have hired such an incompetent defensive coordinator, anyway? Why, the head coach, of course – the guy who just fired him. Moral of the story: If you want to save your own skin, you better find someone else's to kick out the door.

Because if he doesn't fire someone after losing, he doesn't appear to be making progress to his AD.
Back to the top

Mendoza was the strength coach when I was at Southlake Carroll, I am not quite sure how he ended up being the D-Coordinator at a D-I level in the first place.  The only coach that should have come from Southlake was Coach Dodge, not sure why he was allowed to bring other High School coaches over…Coach Drake on his staff is an idiot.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top
Control functions: