Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

UCF Kevin Smith going pro

Add topic

After almost breaking rushing record, Smith to turn pro

ORLANDO, Fla. – Central Florida's Kevin Smith, the nation's leading rusher this season, changed his mind and will turn pro, he confirmed Sunday night.
Making A Go Of The Pros

Smith seriously challenged Barry Sanders' NCAA record of 2,628 rushing yards in a season, but finished 61 yards short. The running back was hailed as a hero three weeks ago for deciding to stay in school to earn a degree and help build UCF's burgeoning program.

"When I had the press conference a few weeks ago, that's how I felt then," Smith told the Orlando Sentinel. "I think people know with decision people know you're gonna go back and forth and change your mind until you realize what you really want to do. Two weeks ago had every intention of going back and being a knight. My true supporters will understand and realize I'm doing what's best for me."

Another season would have put Smith well within reach of former Wisconsin back Ron Dayne's NCAA career record.

Smith said it had nothing to do with records. He said he made the previous announcement to deflect attention leading up to UCF's Liberty Bowl matchup against Mississippi State. Smith also said the 10-3 loss in that game was no factor.

"Me coming back had nothing to do with records. I was here a lot of years – that's not a reason," Smith told The Associated Press.

Smith, a high school honor roll student, said he wanted to come back and get his degree – partly on the advice of his mother. But he returned to hometown Miami after the bowl game, and they had a long talk about his future.

"She basically told me, 'Do what makes you happy,'" Smith said.

Smith's change of heart was first reported by WFTV, Orlando's ABC affiliate. Smith said at a press conference Dec. 18 he would return to school, defying analysts who said he had nothing left to prove, and would be risking injury with more time in college.

"Kevin had a great career at UCF," coach George O'Leary said in a written statement. "We thank him for his contributions over the past three years and wish him nothing but the best."

The biggest knock on Smith was that he accomplished those feats in Conference USA, though he also rushed for 149 yards and two TDs against Texas this season.

Smith isn't known as a big-time speedster, though he is fast. His greatest asset is patience and vision – knowing where to make cuts to break long runs. He actually hasn't been timed in a 40-yard dash since high school, and said he's eager to prove he can run with the big guys.

"This is what people want to see: 'Is he fast,'" Smith said. "They want to know how fast I'm going to be. They don't have to see if I'm a three-down back, because I played three downs."

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Re: UCF Kevin Smith going pro

He sure picked a heavy RB year to enter the draft early...McFadden, F. Jones, M. Hart, R. Rice, J. Stewart...all go ahead of him.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

He looks like a 3rd or 4th rounder to me.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Yeah, but after almost setting the rushing record, what else could he do next year to improve his draft stock?
Back to the top

mh2os said

Yeah, but after almost setting the rushing record, what else could he do next year to improve his draft stock?

help them actually win a bowl game for the first time in school existence. He's going to be nothing special as a pro

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Ray Rice stayed in school after a great year and look how his stock has risen.  Who knows.

I heard on the radio the other day that seniors and some players declaring for the draft took out insurance policies just in case they got injured in the bowl games.  I thought that was really, really interesting…

Like things, love people.
Back to the top

Fledgling said

Ray Rice stayed in school after a great year and look how his stock has risen.  Who knows.

I heard on the radio the other day that seniors and some players declaring for the draft took out insurance policies just in case they got injured in the bowl games.  I thought that was really, really interesting…

It happens all the time. Look at what happened to Willis McGahee. That could have been the end of his career. Fortunately it wasn't but in this day and age guys need to take precautions.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Jab979 said

mh2os said

help them actually win a bowl game for the first time in school existence. He's going to be nothing special as a pro

Man you are funny.  You guys beat <b> MEMPHIS </b>  6th place team in C-USA.  Man I can't stop laughing.  While we played a real team in a real bowl.  Enjoy being confused with FIU for the rest of your existence.
Back to the top

UCF Kevin Smith going pro

LaughingKnight said

Jab979 said

mh2os said

Man you are funny.  You guys beat <b> MEMPHIS </b>  6th place team in C-USA.  Man I can't stop laughing.  While we played a real team in a real bowl.  Enjoy being confused with FIU for the rest of your existence.

Confused with who?  Do they even play football?
Back to the top

HOTEL said

LaughingKnight said

Jab979 said

mh2os said

Confused with who?  Do they even play football?

Yes, remember that game that drew 6,000 people?  That was FIU.  You guys might have won, I'm not sure (neither is the rest of the nation, because no one gives a shit).  I remember when ESPN had F_U as a perennial bottom 10 canidate. 
Back to the top
Control functions: