Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Best of the Non-BCS

Courtesy of the Troy Board:

http://www.gotroytrojans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9402

Link to Article:

Sporting News - Real Insight. Real Fans. Real Conversations.

Copy of text for those behind work firewalls:

I'm all about the little guys. That's why I love the non-BCS schools.

If I can show 'em some love, I do. And here's a big smooch as I continue my post-mortem on a super, terrific and happy college football season.

Non-BCS Top 25

1. BYU. Ladies and gentlemen, meet the new non-BCS monster. The Cougars haven't lost a Mountain West game the last two years. And it's only gonna get better under Bronco Mendenhall.
2. Hawaii. Time will look back fondly on what June Jones did in 2007. Still, it's difficult to get images of that Sugar Bowl thumping out of my head.
3. Boise State. Sure, the Broncos lost to East Carolina in the Hawaii Bowl, but Boise State remains the hippest non-BCS school in the nation.
4. Utah. Too bad the Utes get eclipsed by BYU's shadow. I know how good you are, Kyle Whittingham. And I'll keep singing Utah's praises.
5. Tulsa. Is there a better – or hotter – non-BCS coach in America than Todd Graham? Of course not.
6. Fresno State. Pat Hill is a man's-man coach. And he has a man's-man program. I only wish more programs had Hill's cojones.
7. Air Force. Troy Calhoun may have been the best rookie coach in the nation in 2007.
8. UCF. Combine unmatched non-BCS facilities with the coaching acumen of George O'Leary and you have the makings of big things. This team belongs in the Big East.
9. Navy. The Middies' historic triumph over Notre Dame will live forever.
10. East Carolina. Skip Holtz has the Pirates back to the heights they enjoyed under Steve Logan. The question: How long will Holtz stay in Greenville, N.C.?
11. New Mexico. Is there a more underappreciated coach than Rocky Long? He needs a hug, Lobo Nation.
12. Central Michigan. As long as Dan LeFevour is taking snaps, the two-time defending MAC champs will be tough. Oh, and coach Butch Jones is pretty good, too.
13. Houston. The Cougars were every school's worst nightmare because of Art Briles' Texas Tech offense.
14. TCU. Gary Patterson has made the Horned Frogs the model of non-BCS success.

15. Bowling Green. The Falcons' spread attack has set a new trend in the MAC. Credit Gregg Brandon, who has Bowling Green poised for a league title run in 2008.
16. Troy. Don' t you pity the poor BCS schools that get suckered into playing at Troy?
17. Memphis. Remember when Tommy West was on the hot seat? Neither do I.
18. Ball State. Check out QB Nathan Davis, the best player you've never heard about.
19. Florida Atlantic. Three words: Fear the pipe!
20. Southern Miss. Jeff Bower built the ultimate "little giant." And he leaves with his head held high.
21. Nevada. Chris Ault is to non-BCS coaches what JoePa is to BCS coaches.
22. Ohio. Who said Frank Solich still doesn't have it? Not me. I think it's the guy in the red shirt with an "N" on it.
23. Louisiana-Monroe. Meet the authors of one of 2007's most classic upsets. Remember that game, Bama Boy?
24. San Jose State. Funny how winning seems to follow Dick Tomey wherever he goes.
25. Middle Tennessee. Rick Stockstill has the Blue Raiders poised for big things. It's a matter of time before a BCS school nabs him.

Tom Dienhart is a writer for Sporting News. E-mail him at [email protected].

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Re: Best of the Non-BCS

Ugh.  These "non BCS" lists are just ridiculous and further spread the notion of "non BCS" garbage.

I do find it funny, however, that he has UCF ranked below a team we demolished twice (Tulsa).  I also wouldn't call BYU a "monster" considering that Tulsa team beat BYU this year.

I'd also question his love fest with Boise and Hawaii, considering Hawaii was demolished and Boise was beat by the 4th place CUSA team.
Back to the top

Little strange were ranked behind Memphis as well IMO.

Course this is all conjecture. Not like this is an official list.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Troy led Georgia early, was poised to win against the Bulldogs in the fourth, and lost by 10, despite giving up a couple of cheap TDs).

Hawaii … well ….
Back to the top

who cares where we are ranked. just as long were in the print is all that matters in polls like this.
Back to the top

BMarkey said

Troy led Georgia early, was poised to win against the Bulldogs in the fourth, and lost by 10, despite giving up a couple of cheap TDs).

Hawaii … well ….

Two very different Georgia teams. Georgia was at their best late in the season. You can't base anything on common opponents in my opinion.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Hey at least we are mentioned, now we can go prove that we belong higher up.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

Best of the Non-BCS

How is it that MEMPHIS is rated ahead of us?
Back to the top

Lm77 said

Good question… because the author has more respect for CUSA than SBC, perhaps?
Back to the top

owlcountry said

Lm77 said

Good question… because the author has more respect for CUSA than SBC, perhaps?

Yet, there is four Belt teams on that list: FAU, Troy, MTSU & ULM

A sign that thing are looking up for the conference, not too long ago, no belt team would be on that lst.
Back to the top