Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

All-American Football League

Add topic

Has anybody seen anything on this up-start AAFL? They recently had a draft and they have six teams including a team in Florida that will play "home" games in Gainesville, Tampa, and Jacksonville.

The six teams are from Florida, Arkansas, Texas, Michigan, Alabama, and Tennessee.

One ex-FAU player is on the Florida team with most guys coming from UF, FSU, and Miami. Chris Leak will be QB for the team. I think games start in March. Pretty interesting stuff.

Here is the link:http://www.allamericanfootballleague.com/

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Re: All-American Football League

owlfan1 said

Has anybody seen anything on this up-start AAFL? They recently had a draft and they have six teams including a team in Florida that will play "home" games in Gainesville, Tampa, and Jacksonville.

The six teams are from Florida, Arkansas, Texas, Michigan, Alabama, and Tennessee.

One ex-FAU player is on the Florida team with most guys coming from UF, FSU, and Miami. Chris Leak will be QB for the team. I think games start in March. Pretty interesting stuff.

Here is the link:http://www.allamericanfootballleague.com/

GO OWLS!!!

I briefly saw something about this maybe on the NFL Network or something I was flipping through the channels and saw some guy from Troy was drafted # 1 overall.

Who is the FAU player?

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Shane Matthews, Head Coach:

Shane Matthews will serve as Team Florida's Head Coach and will coach the team just like he played – wide open. You might recall that Shane never lost a game in The Swamp… and he plans to run the fun-n-gun offense as Team Florida's coach. As a player, Shane starred as the quarterback at the University of Florida, where he set 50 school records and finished his college career with 9,287 passing yards and 74 touchdowns. Shane had a 28-8 record as a starting QB, including 19-4 in SEC games, while leading Florida to its first official SEC championship in 1991. Shane earned SEC Player of the Year honors in both 1990 and '91, and finished fifth in Heisman Trophy balloting as a junior in 1991. Shane played in the NFL from 1993 to 2006 for th e Chicago Bears, Carolina Panthers, Washington Redskins, Cincinnati Bengals, Buffalo Bills, and Miami Dolphins. During his NFL career, Shane completed 492 of 839 pass attempts for 4,756 and 31 touchdowns.

The FAU Player:
Terry, Jerrell  DBS  6'  203  Florida Atlantic

I can't believe that the Shane Matthews Band is the head coach lol. Maybe this will take off since there's no more world league

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

"The league has signed an agreement with the University of FLORIDA team to play some home games in Gainesville."

Yet another way FAU could possibly increase revenue with our stadium when not in season…

Like things, love people.
Back to the top

The main criticism of this league (at least in Alabama) is that it apparently plans to link each team to the university at which it plays, including using that school's mascot, fight song and colors.

That is a BIG mistake, which will automatically alienate fans of the other schools in each state.

See:

http://www.gotroytrojans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9395

Disabled forum

Disabled forum

There's more on this.
Back to the top

BMarkey said

The main criticism of this league (at least in Alabama) is that it apparently plans to link each team to the university at which it plays, including using that school's mascot, fight song and colors.

That is a BIG mistake, which will automatically alienate fans of the other schools in each state.

See:

http://www.gotroytrojans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9395

Disabled forum

Disabled forum

There's more on this.

I agree. They shouldn't be attaching themselves to universities. It makes for an odd situation.

GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top

All-American Football League

Jab979 said

Shane Matthews, Head Coach:

Shane Matthews will serve as Team Florida's Head Coach and will coach the team just like he played – wide open. You might recall that Shane never lost a game in The Swamp… and he plans to run the fun-n-gun offense as Team Florida's coach. As a player, Shane starred as the quarterback at the University of Florida, where he set 50 school records and finished his college career with 9,287 passing yards and 74 touchdowns. Shane had a 28-8 record as a starting QB, including 19-4 in SEC games, while leading Florida to its first official SEC championship in 1991. Shane earned SEC Player of the Year honors in both 1990 and '91, and finished fifth in Heisman Trophy balloting as a junior in 1991. Shane played in the NFL from 1993 to 2006 for th e Chicago Bears, Carolina Panthers, Washington Redskins, Cincinnati Bengals, Buffalo Bills, and Miami Dolphins. During his NFL career, Shane completed 492 of 839 pass attempts for 4,756 and 31 touchdowns.

The FAU Player:
Terry, Jerrell  DBS  6'  203  Florida Atlantic

I can't believe that the Shane Matthews Band is the head coach lol. Maybe this will take off since there's no more world league

I think it will definitely do something for player development. However, I don't see it lasting for more than a few years. NFL Europe was great because it brought football to a new audience. Even so, I don't think too many US fans tuned in for NFL Europe games. I know I didn't unless it was a big game with an FAU alum playing a key role.

GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top

I said it on another board – this is going the way of the XFL.  In a way, this might even be worse because at least the XFL had some gimmicks to make it somewhat interesting.  I have no interest in watching a bunch of ex-Gators who couldn't make it in the NFL.

If they put the games on NFL Network, that should kill it off pretty fast.
Back to the top

I dont think the NFL has anything to do with this leage.
Back to the top

This league has been advertising a lot up here in Jax.  It seems that all these player must have graduated, and they are "drafting" everybody geographically.  I think it will flop soon, but they are trying to get the money of the college football diehards who don't have anything else to spend their money on.
Back to the top
Control functions: