Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Rankings what do they...

Rankings what do they really mean?

Since this has been a hot topic and fans want to know where their respective school rank among their rivals, it might be easier to look at the big picture when we look at recruiting especially for a school like FAU.  Recruiting experts will have different outlooks when evaluating prospects from all over the country as they give each their respective rank (star) and the same follows when they evaluate which school had the BIGGEST & BEST overall class.

I like what recruiting analyst Allen Wallace, editor & publisher of Superprep Magazine, says about recruiting.  "About 15% of the (players), everybody wants. They can go where they want and they can have a dramatic impact. The other 85% aren't that dissimilar from each other physically, but when coaching comes in, that's what separates the men from the boys."

We all know that Howard is not even looking at those top 15% for a few reason, we probably can disagree on why, but IMO why waste time on these recruits when you have very little chance of landing them among other reasons, but instead chooses to find a specific type of player that he identifies hold a certain  TALENT & potential that will fit into his system.  Wallace also says that"Coaching will make the average player better, and that can be a big difference-maker for a team." Which has proven true here at FAU, with the on-field success this young program as been able to achieve so far.

Some Owl fans might have been discouraged a bit as to why Howard and company did not sign more ranked players, especially after the Owls won it's first Conference Title and earned it's First Bowl victory, fans expected more.  Yet, we need to remember the type of players Schnellenberger goes after and it is the type of players that he can develop into complete players.  Sure you tend to take a bigger risk doing so, but if the coaching staff have done their homework, then you will minimize that risk, the same can be said about any form of investing, which is about a future results.  Nothing is guaranteed in life, and with the newest signee's filling spcific holes to help maintain the future continuity and making sure we continue to reload, instead of having to face any rebuilding years like we had in 2005-06.  Schnellenberger had every reason to be happy with the 2008 recruit class, yet he also realizes that change needs to occur in the process the coaching staff have follow-up since the inception of this program to make sure the program does not get complancent, but continue to progress forward on our path to playing at a higher level and be more competitive with some of our OC opponents in the near future.  Schnellenberger might have realized that he might have to change recruiting tactics for next year as we continue to elevate the development of the players and program at a much faster pace then even Schnellenberger had envisioned.  Yet another sign that Schnellenberger is still able to coach in this new are of college football and that time has not past him by.

With all the talent that resides in South Florida, it is safe to say that many are overlooked for some reason, while others receive all the accolades and is becoming evident that with such a large pool of prospects, it's no wonder that other Sun-Belt school will dip into the talent pool just in the hopes of staying competitive with it's conference rivals.  One thing we need to remember, with all this talent made available yearly, only so many will remain playing for a Florida schools.  The number for any specifics needs is rather small considering the large pool of players that is available for any given position.

Sure the stars next to a recruit might not be there, but the quality of the athlete keeps improving.  What this mean is,  the overall talent is at a higher level, which translates to the players developing faster then previous years in-turn bridges the gap between the first, second & third team'ers.  This provides the proper depth you need to find consistency on a yearly basis, regardless of injuries and graduation.  All this is becoming evident and will prove that as the foundation continues to becomes stronger, this  program will elevate to higher means as we continue to build the foundation.

Back to the top

Re: Rankings what do they...

Rankings what do they...

Well said!

After watching what FAU and some other teams have built with classes ranked consistently in the second half of the 120, it's become apparent to me that, at best, you have to take the star ratings with a grain of salt, or at worst, disregard them altogether.  Somewhere in the middle, they probably serve best as a general guideline for recruiters, but they can't replace actual scouting and coaching.

Furthermore, I have to question how much trust we can place in a system that profits from rating players, selling subscriptions with juicy teasers that are often little more than rumor and conjecture.

I found this article on another board this week: NCAA College Football News, Videos, Scores, Polls, Standings, Stats, Teams, Schedule - FOX Sports on MSN .  It takes a look back at the 5-star recruits from 2004.  About half lived up to potential or became solid players, but the other half ranked anywhere from unremarkable to just downright busts.

On a related note, what would you rather have?  A 3-star who hasn't gotten a lot of offers, is happy to have a chance, and is going to play his heart out to prove something to everyone?  Or an impressionable 5-star who has been told he's great, knows he's great, expects to be treated like a superstar, and may or may not go to class?  Yeah, maybe he'll live up to it, but look at that article; there's a not-so-small chance that he'll flame out, too.  Take a look at how Terrelle Pryor is jerking around at least three schools now – *after* NSD:  At what point do you start to wonder if you really want this kid on your team?
Back to the top

The said

On a related note, what would you rather have?  A 3-star who hasn't gotten a lot of offers, is happy to have a chance, and is going to play his heart out to prove something to everyone?  Or an impressionable 5-star who has been told he's great, knows he's great, expects to be treated like a superstar, and may or may not go to class?

C. A and C

I would rather have choice A., but also add:

C.  a first class evaluator, and Coach heading my team - one that has solid morals, and a personal Faith relationship as a base and foundation for all decisions he makes…both on and of the field.

This is a win-win…and i think we see that at FAU.
Back to the top

Bytor, as usual very astute observations. I have to think that an 18 year old that has the chance to meet HS, and realize that here is a guy that coached with Bear Bryant, recruited Joe Namath, and built 3 Div. I programs has to feel the impact when their standing in his presence. I think these kids have a little "old school" deep in their heart, and I think that's the kind of player HS wants more than an extra star or two.

Beware the talons of the Mighty Owls!
Back to the top

How good are the ratings?

Rusty, Cerg, Osi, Demarcus, Tynes, former ASU QB on the Dolphins … None were big on the radar, but look where they are (or will be).
Back to the top

As far as the strength of a recruiting class, let's see how that same class is ranked come September when those same kids need to qualify.

To me how a school ranks as far as it's class strength, is how it did filling holes & getting the kids it targeted.
Back to the top

Gerry Faust when he coached at Notre Dame has these high ranked recruiting classes but his teams were mediocre despite his 5 star recruitment. He was replaced by Lou Holtz who always made his teams sound like they would struggle against Navy and Army but those teams were far better than the Faust teams.
Back to the top
Control functions: